I get to test drive the 508 soon

Peter Paine (Peugeot U.S.lawyer) stopped in today to settle up his bill on his 92' ZDJL wagon.

The 407 wagon is going back

He's getting his 508 wagon in a month, will be equipped with 1.6 gas turbo.

I can't wait to drive this when he'll bring it over to us B)

I'm surprised that PSA would be sending cars over here at massive cost, considering the huge austerity program they're on back home. They quit Le Mans, dealers now have to pay to attend their new model introductions....

The 508 would never sell here, the biggest gas engine it comes with is a 1.6. Yowsuh, that's not much engine for 1600 kg of car!

• 2 months later...

The car is a nice car but the 1.6 Peugeot engine that made for Mini is slightly underpowered for the vehicle. Chipping the car would help. or very easy to swap turbo, would take a whole 30 minutes if it was hot.... Steering super light same as the 407 that I drove. Braked very nicely, slightly bigger than a 505 rotor and vented more. Panaramic roof with LED cabin lights, nice feature. dash pretty basic to control. The Audi's that I drive are a pain with the MMI but I have gotten use to them but I still don't like Audi setup, the 508 had nice controls. The Seats had nice bolsters but seemed half assed almost like 2nd from Recaro. Compared to the 505 or even MI's seats, they're not even close. They are nice but not even close. My father's wagon was gone today so no comparison. LED headlights seem better than Audi's looks like you can replace the bulbs because they're so big, Audi you can't you have to buy a new $250 taillight... The electronic remote ABS pump is a pretty cool feature, god only know how much that would be to replace... The Intercooler is Bigger than the 505's but also has more compression because it is more modern fuel econ... Overall I'd like one in the HDI version but it's still a nice car, factory equipped with Michelin HP's drove quiet, and everything has space, backseat was spacious. The trunk is fine, not much effort to open with no automatic assist which is a plus in my book, I know how stupid crazy money Audi's and Mercedes are to fix when that feature is broken... The Automatic tranny shifted very well and was quiet and tipronic mode worked the same as Audi's

0601121157a.jpg

0601121158.jpg

Well that's cool, but why on earth does Peugeot have a lawyer in the USA? Driving new Peugeots, too?

I thought the PMA parts operation in NJ was totally shut down a year or more ago...?

Peter was they're US Lawyer, He's retired now but does get asked like once a year to come over to France for a nogo. because he speaks French...

Called Peugeot last week in the U.S.

I'm surprised that PSA would be sending cars over here at massive cost, considering the huge austerity program they're on back home. They quit Le Mans, dealers now have to pay to attend their new model introductions....

The 508 would never sell here, the biggest gas engine it comes with is a 1.6. Yowsuh, that's not much engine for 1600 kg of car!

Peter paid $21K for 3 years, and he's got the money...

I can't say the styling is OK. It looks like a less stylish Camry (!) from the outside, to me. Hello Pininfarina, we need you!

I wonder how the MINI engine moves the big car?

I think it actually has a good modern cut, it almost has the Dodge magnum stance from the back but mixed with the 530XI/ or like my father's 04 E320 wagon look to it.

I don't mind the look at all - and I think it would look even better in person.

I also don't mind the 43 mpg rating it has with that motor. The power curve is tuned for response not all out power so it should feel pretty decent as max torque comes in really low. The 3 series BMW is running a 2L turbo as the base engine, and with chip tuning alone they're getting 300HP from it. I'd imagine that with a good remap and a nice turbo upgrade this 1.6L could easily push 250HP with good response and still retain decent economy.

Rabin

So if he pays for it, it is here on a temporary basis? I'm sure he's legit (lawyer and all). I just don't know how he does it. If I couldn't get a C6 or C5, I'd get a 508. But with the state of affairs at PSA looks more like a pipe dream than ever. I should just get a 400I or Mondial. :-)

So if he pays for it, it is here on a temporary basis? I'm sure he's legit (lawyer and all). I just don't know how he does it.

Well the 407 had "vehicle manufacturer" plates on it. Assuming that the 508 does too, I would guess that the car actually belongs to PSA and that he gets to use it as part of his retainer arrangement. I don't know what the rules for vehicle manufacturers are, but I would guess they can bring in cars that wouldn't be available to the rest of us.

Peugeot takes care of their people.

My father traveled the world for business and company gatherings for Peugeot, Paddock club pit passes to the F1 in Montreal several times... Just the political garbage killed them.

That's why my father is proud to drive them, and still thinks they're still his favorite car.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention My father rescued another Sliver 87' Auto STI with 47K on it a few weeks ago. Good customer died and it's been sitting in a barn for the past 5 years. Another project but will be a nice car.

Well the 407 had "vehicle manufacturer" plates on it. Assuming that the 508 does too, I would guess that the car actually belongs to PSA and that he gets to use it as part of his retainer arrangement. I don't know what the rules for vehicle manufacturers are, but I would guess they can bring in cars that wouldn't be available to the rest of us.

Correct Manufacturer's plates. It has to go back in three years and the paper work for the cars return has been done before the car got here, or it cost even more $ if it doesn't.

Peugeot let us have a V6 406 coupe for a week back in 2001. It was at the tail end of it being here in the U.S. We had to bring it down to Boston to the shipping container or it was to be crushed, they made that very clear.

thanks for sharing this, nick. i think peter was right to take the wagon, it's better looking than the sedan IMHO. shame about the seats not being that comfortable, though...

if peugeot can ride out their current troubles, they'd do well do emulate audi's move upmarket over the last 20-30 years...this car seems like a step in that direction, like the RCZ before it.

andré

• 4 weeks later...

I don't understand... what about maintenance, do warranties still apply in the USA? How about damages to the car? if someone stole it, how would they find it?

Did you test the driving feel against other cars over there in America? The fuel is different than Europe's, right? How do you deal with that?

It's a beautiful car, nonetheless.

Does this guy only bring the wagons?

Lucky guy though :)

santiago -- please see upthread. peugeot hasn't sold cars in north america since 1991, but they still have a limited presence here. this includes their lawyer, peter paine, to whom this car belongs. as a major manufacturer, peugeot is able to import cars into the US under a variety of programs that aren't available to regular people like you and me...they brought this new car in as a perk for mr. paine.

additionally, peugeot dealers here are still able to order parts from france...nick's family has had a peugeot dealership for many years and are very well known in the community, so that's why they are servicing this car. if anything breaks or is damaged, they can get the parts to fix it (they can still get some 505 parts, though that inventory is limited because the cars haven't been sold in so long).

as for the car being stolen....i doubt that would happen, since this car is so rare -- possibly the only one in the US! to get parts for it, you'd have to go to a dealer like nick's, and they'd know in a heartbeat that something was up....otherwise, you'd have to order the parts yourself from france which can be a hassle. most people don't even know what this car is, so this car is pretty poor pickings for thieves...

andré

santiago -- please see upthread. peugeot hasn't sold cars in north america since 1991, but they still have a limited presence here. this includes their lawyer, peter paine, to whom this car belongs. as a major manufacturer, peugeot is able to import cars into the US under a variety of programs that aren't available to regular people like you and me...they brought this new car in as a perk for mr. paine.

additionally, peugeot dealers here are still able to order parts from france...nick's family has had a peugeot dealership for many years and are very well known in the community, so that's why they are servicing this car. if anything breaks or is damaged, they can get the parts to fix it (they can still get some 505 parts, though that inventory is limited because the cars haven't been sold in so long).

as for the car being stolen....i doubt that would happen, since this car is so rare -- possibly the only one in the US! to get parts for it, you'd have to go to a dealer like nick's, and they'd know in a heartbeat that something was up....otherwise, you'd have to order the parts yourself from france which can be a hassle. most people don't even know what this car is, so this car is pretty poor pickings for thieves...

andré

Sweet!

Nick is a very lucky man, and so is Peter!

I am very jealous of the 508! The 1.6 liter is what intrigues me the most though, it's such an interesting engine!

actually, in my earlier post i said that peugeot hasn't sold cars in north america since 1991, but that's not correct -- they still sell cars in mexico, although they only offer their smaller cars there, not the full range. a while back i saw a mexican 207 at a local mall here in los angeles...

andré