update on my GL

andrethx

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Andre - I noticed that you left the studs in the manifold. You'll likely have to remove them as that header likely came off an 85 that had the air recirculation manifold in between the head and the manifold - so the studs are extra long. You'll either need to re-use the ones on the car, or replace.

When I did my Dad's 505, I replaced all the old ones with new and it was WAY easier to mount up with fresh hardware.

I also can't wait to see the car progress - it should be a very sweet GL once done. Nice and light handling with more than enough power for cruising around.

As an aside: Do you guys think I should set up a forum section on detailing for Peugeot specific jobs and results? I'll be doing the same thing on my other 505's and it'd be nice to see what works, and what people have tried to get the results they got. I myself just got a proper 7" rotary polisher (11A, 3000 rpm). Our version of Harbour freight (Princess Auto) had some Kawasaki ones for $60 so I grabbed one. Still in the box though... :)

Rabin

thanks for the detailing tips, all, i will probably be replying to rabin's post re:oxidized paint to discuss detailing stuff.

went to see aaron the other day...will be seeing him at least once more before his car is gone, he's trying to work out a dignified and appropriate conclusion for what's left. truly, a lover of french cars and a kindred spirit. as usual, picked up a few parts. got some interior bits for myself and for a friend, and got the hinges for the trunk lid. regular readers of this thread may recall, i got aaron's trunk lid with the turbo spoiler already attached, which necessitated an additional support strut for the trunk lid. since my hinges only have the mount point on the driver's side, i got aaron's hinges to use on my car; now i only need to fabricate the lower mounting point for the support strut on the passengers' side.

IMG_7383.jpg

rob, you were asking about the front spoiler -- haven't got that yet, will probably pick one up in a couple of weeks. haven't worked out any of the installation details.

additionally, i asked aaron about the seats i got from him earlier (i.e., the front seats were from an earlier car) and he showed me the original seats from his car, he still had them. i ended up getting them as well.

IMG_7384.jpg

IMG_7385.jpg

as you can see, the leather covers are not in great shape, but the seats themselves are sound. so if you're keeping track, you'll note that i now have two sets of rear seats and three sets of fronts. :blink: i'm going to install the fronts & rears that i got from aaron earlier, and i'm thinking down the road i'll get these fronts reupholstered. maybe a blue tweed fabric (like the euro guys), 'cause my wife hates leather seats and i'm never going to be able to match the blue leather to my satisfaction without spending way too much money. also, cloth seats would be true to my car's GL-ness...then i'll get the new backs done, as well.

more soon...

andré

OK - I split the topic out and moved some of the thread-jack posts on polishing to the exterior forum. If you find any existing posts that you think fall into a better category now - just PM me and I'll move them. I'll try to do it as well as I come across them.

• 2 weeks later...

latest update -- the exhaust shop i was considering checked out, so i went in and talked to the guy. he's really cool and flexible, said he'd enjoy working on a peugeot ("haven't seen one of those in a while!") and quoted me a good price. so i'm going to have him do my exhaust system. plan to register the car, then i have 30 days to pass smog. will keep you guys updated.

also started working on pulling the old carpet. it's pretty nasty underneath the carpeting in a few areas, so once all of the carpet is out i'll spend some time cleaning it out...coffee/soda spills and the like. you can see it on the transmission tunnel and on the emergency brake mounting bracket. bought a bulk pack of dynamat so that'll go in next. here are some pics of the progress:

716482e5.jpg

fec9f524.jpg

you may remember, at some point in the past the rear passenger side vent window was replaced (with the wrong color glass -- still need to trade with rabin!)...underneath the rear seat, there was still a lot of broken glass (must have been a break-in at some point). cut myself on a bit of glass, tiny scratch. good thing my tetanus shots are up to date...

the old carpet is not too bad, except for being dirty and being worn through on the front driver's side. it's already promised to a friend who'll be using it to patch his 505's blue carpet. after the dynamat is down, i'll be running wires for the new audio system i've just started thinking about. after that, i'll be putting the new carpet in & posting a full review for you guys, with pics. progress is fun!

andre

WTH - you have front roll up windows too? I've never seen that. Yours is the most stripped down, low optioned 505 I've ever scene - which of course makes it even cooler.

Can't help but love the simplicity. Pretty sure you could take a electromagnetic blast and still function just fine. (Pretty sure solid state electronic ignition modules and the CIS would survive one). If not you could convert to points and condensor and a carb and you'd be golden. :D

BTW: I remember you having a replacement glass - if not let me know and I'll send the bronze one asap.

Also - Arun is in the midst of the exact same interior strip / dynamat / running audio as you so it'll be neat to see the different approaches. He's working crazy hours now so progress will be slower - but he's really dived into his STX.

Rabin

yes -- the GL has roll-up windows. part of me wants to keep it as it is, since it's different from most 505s (and therefore cool)...part of me wants to convert to power windows since i have children. i've decided to leave it as-is for a while, may change to power windows later. i have accumulated some of the parts (bezels, switches), will probably continue to collect the others. part of the reason i am not changing right away is that i'm a perfectionist -- i'd need to change the regulators since the wind-up regulators have that splined post that sticks out of the door and i don't like those power window conversions that put stuff on top of the splined post to hide it.

of course, being ocd, i have issues with leaving it as-is...if you look closely, you'll notice that the blue plastic of the window crank has faded, but not the round knob at the end...must be different plastic and/or production technique. older models had wind-up windows (504s, etc.) but used different handles, and as you noted, 505s with wind-up windows are fairly rare -- at least, ones that have survived to this point. so it's difficult to find nice replacement handles (can probably find them in europe, won't be cheap). not sure if there is any good way to restore the handles i have to their original color. so then i think, "well, i should just convert to power windows." i go round and round.

sometimes, it's hard to know where to draw the line. i'm sure you've all been there.

as regards the post-apocalyptic scenario, i hadn't thought of that...though i gotta be honest, if it comes to that, i probably won't be driving a peugeot. i mean, it's hard enough to get parts now... :D

i ended up buying dynamat, b/c as arun pointed out, once you add the bulk discount, etc. the price difference is not that big as compared to the well-regarded knockoffs. right now, my blaupunkt radio is holding things up. i don't have the little u-shaped pieces of wire needed to remove a DIN stereo (on order), so i can't remove the radio bezel in the front console and thus, i can't remove the front console (the carpet goes underneath the front console). should have that in a few days, plenty else to do until then. :)

andre

Kids: You can simply remove the window winders so the kids can't roll them down. :) Peugeot's already have the child safety locks - so that's another nice touch.

Wind up windows: If you do convert to power I'd be interested in the manual window regulator assemblies. I'd "GL" my GL-Turbo even more. :)

If you do keep them, I think you'd have good luck disassembling them, and using some of the SEM products for vinyl painting. SEM is highly regarded - and would likely have a number of products that would be useful. http://www.vinylpro.com/

Can't wait till everything starts coming together - should be a neat transformation.

Rabin

hmmm. i bet the window winders could be found in other cars - like our exterior door handles ive seen them on other european cars, i feel theres a good chance the manual window winders your GL has would have been used in other non-power window euro cars...pre-e30 bmws (i say pre e30 cuz i dunno if all e30s had power windows, but all the ones ive seen in person have)

or maybe old benzes too

yes -- the GL has roll-up windows. part of me wants to keep it as it is, since it's different from most 505s (and therefore cool)...part of me wants to convert to power windows since i have children. i've decided to leave it as-is for a while, may change to power windows later. i have accumulated some of the parts (bezels, switches), will probably continue to collect the others. part of the reason i am not changing right away is that i'm a perfectionist -- i'd need to change the regulators since the wind-up regulators have that splined post that sticks out of the door and i don't like those power window conversions that put stuff on top of the splined post to hide it.

of course, being ocd, i have issues with leaving it as-is...if you look closely, you'll notice that the blue plastic of the window crank has faded, but not the round knob at the end...must be different plastic and/or production technique. older models had wind-up windows (504s, etc.) but used different handles, and as you noted, 505s with wind-up windows are fairly rare -- at least, ones that have survived to this point. so it's difficult to find nice replacement handles (can probably find them in europe, won't be cheap). not sure if there is any good way to restore the handles i have to their original color. so then i think, "well, i should just convert to power windows." i go round and round.

sometimes, it's hard to know where to draw the line. i'm sure you've all been there.

as regards the post-apocalyptic scenario, i hadn't thought of that...though i gotta be honest, if it comes to that, i probably won't be driving a peugeot. i mean, it's hard enough to get parts now... :D

i ended up buying dynamat, b/c as arun pointed out, once you add the bulk discount, etc. the price difference is not that big as compared to the well-regarded knockoffs. right now, my blaupunkt radio is holding things up. i don't have the little u-shaped pieces of wire needed to remove a DIN stereo (on order), so i can't remove the radio bezel in the front console and thus, i can't remove the front console (the carpet goes underneath the front console). should have that in a few days, plenty else to do until then. :)

andre

The original six 1986 505 Turbo race cars were all GL's with wind up front and rear windows., no sunroof and other bits left off I'm sure. Just one more reason I'm mad at myself for selling that car for $250 in 1991...

Andre, you do have a bit of an odd duck, as we always understood the wind up window 86 turbo's to be built like that on purpose and no other 505's were spec'd that way.

I'd leave it as is, love that weirdness factor of having something no one else has.

well, i don't know that roll-up window 505s are super-rare in the US...i seem to recall seeing pics on this forum and others showing cars with winders...most recently, nick's 86 GL turbo. i'm certainly going to keep it that way for the time being, i might replace the cranks with non-peugeot units for the time being b/c they're faded and don't look that great. but how many cars have blue window cranks? if i can find some nice-looking peugeot cranks or restore the ones i have, that'd be ideal. rabin, i've read a lot of good things about SEM paints and i'm considering using them to re-do my dash, but i'm not sure how paint would hold up on something that gets touched as much as a window crank...i've read other places about using a heat gun to restore color to faded plastic parts...need more research...

spent some quality time cleaning up the car yesterday, got most of the gunk out of the floors (at least, the back part). also spent a little time hand-polishing the left rear fender, it turns out that the oxidation comes off with a bit (a lot!) of elbow grease. need to break out my new porter cable and try that....still planning to repaint, but it would be nice if the car looked presentable until that time...

will post pics later...

andre

Sure enough... Both the GL versions I've had sported power front windows, roll up rear windows, AC, central locking, GL seats, and the less plush carpet. My GL-Turbo didn't have a sunroof, but the 88' GLX auto did have one.

My GL-Turbo was from the States, so it's not a US / Canada thing - likely have to chaulk it up to how the dealer or customers ordered it.

Painting plastic: I think you'd be OK for doing the arms as the knob will take most all the contact. You do brush the arm, but it's much lighter contact than actually operating the crank with the knob. Replacements might be easily be doable as well as the attachment is pretty generic for cars of that era.

Rabin

been a bit busy with work lately, but yesterday i spent a bit of quality time with my car. i found the right lug nuts for my alloys, the ones i got are the one-piece early style (shorter). they were a bit gucked up, so i soaked them in brake part cleaner and buffed off the remaining dirt with a dremel & wire brush attachment. came out okay, so i put them on the car. a few of the nuts are losing their chrome plating, so i'm still looking for five or more to replace those and maybe have some spares.

IMG_7418.jpg

wrt to the window cranks, i've been reading good things about plastikote being used to rehab interior hard parts like dashes and bezels, so it might work well on the window cranks. also, the plastikote people make a kit with which you can blend your own colors...might be just the ticket...

andré

spent some more time this evening working on my car. tonight, i worked on cleaning the assembly that the in-tank fuel pump fits into. you may recall from my earlier pictures, it was covered in surface rust. i used my dremel again, with a wire brush attachment and a "flap wheel", to clean the hard fuel lines and the flanges on the pump assembly. it's coming along nicely (i can see the part number stamped on the side!), will probably finish it tomorrow night. after that i'll replace the wires by de-soldering the old ones and soldering new leads to the assembly. then i'll replace the soft fuel line connector piece, the old one is hard and coated with varnish.

haven't decided if i'm going to use the old fuel pump or one of my new ones, i got a new strainer (sock) for the original pump...that pump is functional, so i may just use it until it dies someday. i got the strainer from ukit, if anyone needs one you can PM me, i'll give you the details.

i also got the DIN clips in, so i removed the radio. it's an old blaupunkt am/fm/cassette unit, will probably clean it up and store it for the future. my car has the original DIN connections, so i will probably get a DIN/ISO adapter from one of the many vendors on ebay. at some point, need to figure out what head unit to get...

andré

Looks great!

One thing I've learned is that it's AWESOME to have buddies with shops. I have access to a bead blasting machine, so I just gather parts that need refurbishing and when I have enough I can go there on a Saturday morning and bead blast them, then into the paint booth to spray them up. I redid all the suspension parts for my big brake / wheel upgrade like that. Failing that - there's a do it yourself sand blasting place that has different booths and media so you can do pretty much anything there for reasonable money. Did my badly rusted 504 steelies for $20/ rim with the shot peen machine.

I really need to get a pocket digital camera for documenting the process better - it's a pain to use my DSLR since it's too nice to use with dirty hands, and not really wanting it to be in the garage while I'm working on stuff. Too risky for damage or simply getting it dirty.

Rabin

thanks for the kind words, guys. just trying to make up for many years of deferred maintenance on my car. more to come.

the dremel is fine for smaller parts like this one, but i can see where it would be a PITA for larger parts like springs. don't have any friends here with shops, sadly, all my friends in LA are lawyers. but when my wife divorces me for spending too much time/money on my car, i'm covered... :D

andré

IMG_7423.jpg

IMG_7424.jpg

IMG_7425.jpg

finally got all of my carpet out, a bit more cleaning and i'll be ready to start installing the dynamat. the padding underneath the front section was nasty...looks like it absorbed a lot of beverage spills over the years.

that bezel around the (busted) shift lever can't be removed until the shift lever is removed. i have a replacement shift lever waiting to be installed. fortunately, we stand on the shoulders of giants and i already have instructions on how to replace the shift lever.

andré

PS - check out the brown and white electrical connectors in the console area -- my car is already wired for power windows...