86' 505 GL Turbo sedan

nick@nite

Went Down to Merimack, NH tonight with the truck and trailor to get a clean free 86' 505 GL Turbo 5-speed Burandy sedan. The owner was a good Customer and just wanted it to go to a good home, because it does need some work but the body is mint due to a fender bender aways back. The owner had the full coverage like the french car nut that he is. So the whole front end was rebuilt and the whole car painted and undercoated. Front & rear Windshield gasket great condition.

The car has an angery gearbox, push in the clutch no noise... It may last a little while but 5-speeds are beginning to become more rare and none in old stock at the moment, I'll figure it out when I can't drive for 30 days starting the 25th.

Car also has a quitting problem, and some oil leaks, and driveshaft to the diff seal, and tipical v/c gasket leaks and are hard as hell to get one but I think cheesewhizz will seal it up fine. Also has the Tipical old fashion 1950's wiring flaws from having old French grandma's doing the circuitboards @ the factory, Peugeot never updated they're electrical until the mid 90's. I'm putting Eurolights in for sure, foglights look new for 215K it has, the head was replaced sometime ago. Pic's to come

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh shit yeah it's a keeper for sure, me and my dad have already torn into it.

Cylinder 4 misfire, #3 plug wire was on just barely... v/c gasket is wasted, my father thinks we have another at the storage shop. adjusting the valves now, Euro lights are going in this weekend, changed tranny fluid, wrong fluid was in, front crank seal is junk, turbo feed line seal little leaky. Going to talk to Brian holm see if he has a spare good tranny if not the rebuild with new bearings. Also want better seats, these are the comfy seats but ugly, door panels with the 89's I think. may think about changing the 350 diff out as well

here's a quick pic, and the car is dirty and still shines

peu.jpg

found broken wire on resister pack, this car is sweet, engine has no blow by, compression test shows all there, and oil flow was great when getting the rocker arms up to adjust the valve clearance, new plugs... Good for another 40 to 50,000 miles my dad thinks, so the next thing is finding a tranny, and the tipical starter.

No headrest so I maybe, they're ugly cloth but one of the most comfortable seats Peugeot made. Balanced the tires and cleaned the whole car. Did some buffing as well to bring the clearcoat shine back to it full potential. Still have some more tomorrow, found alittle overspray that needs some wetsanding & buff on the left rear quarter. I have to roll the fenders as well on the front, rightside has been pulled down by the tire already... I'm going to put the Eurolights in this week. These foglights are badass, they look new. Boost is about 8-9 PSI, I'll put 2 springs on the wastegate when I renew the tranny and get 14 PSI for a daily driver. Going to ask my uncle Ralph if I can take off his stainless Peugeot Door decals off his #77 racecar. I do have a new fender emblem and the driver door (still have the plastic on). I don't have ALL the passengers side ones and the left rear. Worst comes to worst I'll get some made.... Yep I think it maybe time to sell THE VOLKSWAGEN'S soon, I don't think I'll be needing them for awhile with this beaut in my life now....

are you going to lower and auto-x this car the same way you did with the v dubs?

[/quote

I don't know about lowering it yet, doing autocrosses in this pug, probley since it the cheapest and easist to get to the events. I didn't really like the autocrosses, it's not my type of racing and the ego's of some of the full season autoXers suck here.

Went to the storage shop, I got the 389 diff, also found a 377 aswell.... Brian holm's only has a diesel tranny out of a car and you have to convert the pedals and shorten the shaft and wants $400, I'd rather buy a whole turbo parts car for around that as long as it had a good box because the racecar is going to need one eventually. Also called a friend but he crushed them because the control arm broke for the second time and the scrapers came and got his cars for $300 for the 2 turbo's and both had great boxes. So while at the other shop grabbed a bunch of gears from old boxes that my father blew up over the years racing and my father is going to make me a box out of the old good tranny parts. It'll work but probley will not be quietest box and I'll change the fluid quite often until it breaks in...

I'm pretty sure rebuild stuff like bearings and syncros are the same though if that helps get a nice tranny together.

Search Aussiefrogs for sure - Thanos has posted about it. Only thing is the parts can be $$$.

Rabin

• 1 month later...

wow. that is awesome.

just one question-did the 86 gl turbo have manual side mirrors?

because i am buying a pair from brian holm, and trying to upgrade to something a little sturdier than the 83- ones...

I have power doors locks and power mirrors, and power antenna.

• 2 weeks later...

Buying Dane's gearbox and spent the day with my father assembling another box.... We got 1st through 4 done, now tearing into another box to get some linkages for reverse and 5th. We will then have another good box as well. So when the races car loses 3rd.... Also looking into getting a megasquirt setup from a friend with a MKI VW cabrio with a 1.8T that wants a better standalone. He didn't build the car and can't tune it to where he's happy wants it for a dd... He has some resrtiction he getting like 18 psi spike then the system shutsdown and will almost go into limp mode with 8-10 psi..

My father has always wanted to put a standalone in the racecar..With a tune with adding just a management and some injectors and timing... it can do 300HP I think with a stage 2 setup Currently @ about 230rwhp.... My rabbit on webbs with the high comp turned out(160HP).I know as well as my father knows with a good young driver that works on Volvo'sAnd that is capabitble of and is a very solid and current on driving a big old sedan that are from the 80's and are now a standard... I think we're the most underdesed as a euro rwd racing power.... My father can't stand the fact a VOLVO Finishes the weekend beating my father in the 505 beacause he's not current and he has done some absolutley stupid, times (I hear the times and I can't imagine the times he's pulled.) But the Volvo is a lighter car and is more simplex balanced dissign with a 5 cylinder (.10) displacement) difference...

With me getting this 505 to this point is nice to work on and is a easy french car for him to recall... He enjoyies on working on old than a new overthought Audi..... The way my father can troubleshoot theses cars are never boring and is an instant reponse...

I totally agree that with a modern stand alone these cars can push the numbers the Volvo guys can easily. If there was the same effort put into modding Peugeot's as the Volvo's - they'd easily best the Volvo's.

Personally I think the 505's are better in EVERY respect than the 240 series Volvo.

Rabin

I totally agree that with a modern stand alone these cars can push the numbers the Volvo guys can easily. If there was the same effort put into modding Peugeot's as the Volvo's - they'd easily best the Volvo's.

Personally I think the 505's are better in EVERY respect than the 240 series Volvo.

Rabin

that's funny, because you're talking both a 505 and 240 driver here :D

I really love Volvo 240's like 505's, but there's just something about the 505....

both have tremendous sleeper potential, but the 505 is classy-where the volvo really isn't.

The only time when'd I rather be driving a Volvo is when looking at the safety aspect.

A friend flipped his 245 (what I drive as well), 4 times, off the side of a road, hit a tree, and walked away.

I'd put a 505 up against a 240'd safety any day... Both cars are exceptional.

There isn't anything I'd say a 240 can do better than a 505, but what they do have is a fantastic and HUGE owner group with a LOT of aftermarket support. That's something 505 ownership will never have - huge owners group with large aftermarket support.

BTW - I've owned both as well. Just never thought the Volvo was as good as a drivers car.

Rabin

Oh yeah forgot to tell you guys, My dad's old #53 car with Peter Farrell was bought the guy who bought it has an S4 that hold a record time at Duryea, PA.... He doesn't know what he's going to do with it yet, but he liked the looks of the car and went for it...