91 405 Mi16 build thread

andrethx

1 hour ago, my3AWDgst said:

Plastic is what holds them in place as hole in the bumper is just an empty hole. 

I know, you find that on the euro spec 405 or 306 ; it's also an aftermarket item and for even more cars.

For me it's a cheap way to find original SIEM fog lights as they are not pricied like GTI/Mi16 parts.

I was just surprised by the "US model 405" printed on the box as they look exactly the same.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the lamps themselves on the mi16 are the same pieces as the euro spec 405 or 306, but the plastic trim piece is different as the hole in the US-spec bumper is bigger than the hole on the euro-spec bumper. i know this because i ordered a euro-spec fog light assembly (lamp and plastic trim) so i was able to test-fit it, only to find that it didn't (fit). i had resolved myself to repairing the broken trim pieces on my original fog lights or finding good used ones when these NOS pieces turned up.

getting this set of lights & trim was fortuitous, as it's hard to find used fog light trim pieces that aren't damaged here in the US. It would be very cool to swap out the bumpers for euro-spec mi16 bumpers, but as savo pointed out, it would take a bit of time and money to accumulate all of the parts, get them repainted, etc. i may eventually do this, but it's down the list and there are many other things i want to take care of first.

andré

15 hours ago, my3AWDgst said:

We all agree that Euro bumpers look the best but to import bumpers and side skirts is extremely costly?

I've looking for some time now but shipping cost is just ridiculous...

Hate to ask what is extremely costly, have you ask about importing half cat only the front of the car it may be more cost effective.

FWIW i think that the US-spec bumpers on the 405 look pretty good, they stick out further than the euro-spec bumpers but are not as conspicuously different as the 505 bumpers..

more parts from mike:

nice used stereo/climate control bezel and parking brake lever slide (mine is broken):

Photo%20Apr%2009%2012%2055%2012%20PM_zps

NOS mi16 rear reflector panel. i almost hate to put it on the car. almost. :):

Photo20Apr20092012001200720PM_zps1x3pzsh

andré

On 4/11/2016 at 4:47 AM, Bean said:

Last time I checked for series 1 505 bumpers it was over €400 shipping for on bumper...

I figured I could make something close for cheaper, and make it repeatable. 

Rabin

Over 400 bucks for something like that is expensive, you may look in buying a Halfcut you can get more for your money.

thanks goce!

more parts. located a NOS decorative trim for the right side mirror (enjoliveur de rétroviseur droite). needs to be painted, when i finish assembling the parts that need to be painted i'll get them done together. have this piece, the NOS grille, a used left headlight trim. still need to get the trim for the left mirror, some new door handles and need to decide what to do about the rear aileron/trunk:

Photo%20Apr%2017%205%2010%2031%20PM_zpsq

new windshield wiper stalk. need to get the turn signal/horn stalk as well:

Photo%20Apr%2017%205%2011%2005%20PM_zpsg

new overhead console panel (NOS). in addition to giving me new sun visor clips, this panel doesn't have the hole for the IR remote transceiver sensor. my old overhead console panel has the hole, but i don't need it since i'm replacing the IR plip with an RF aftermarket unit.

Photo%20Apr%2017%205%2011%2035%20PM_zps8

more to come.

andré

• 2 weeks later...

started installing some of the pieces i got from mike aubé recently. here's the trunk trim piece, need to get some correctly-sized screws to fasten this:

Photo%20Apr%2030%2010%2006%2010%20AM_zps

those tabs fit under the trunk gasket, i will be replacing that soon so i've just got the trim piece sitting on top for now. also installed the ecu mounting plate; you may recall, my ecu was just flopping around inside of its box:

Photo%20Apr%2030%2010%2004%2057%20AM_zps

Photo%20Apr%2030%2010%2005%2033%20AM_zps

also, just now i got a notice from my mailman that there is a package waiting for me at the post office starting tomorrow that contains my new sunroof gasket. if it looks good i'll probably order some new door gaskets from this vendor. stay tuned.

andré

it's a package from argentina...what can it be?

Photo%20May%2003%2012%2043%2027%20PM_zps

it's a sunroof gasket!

Photo%20May%2003%2012%2047%2004%20PM_zps

Photo%20May%2003%2012%2046%2059%20PM_zps

i bought this piece because i need it, also because i wanted to check out this new-to-me vendor on ebay. he shipped out immediately, but the mail between argentina and the US is terribly slow so it took weeks to get here. it looks really good, though, so now i just need to find time to work on my sunroof -- clean and lube the tracks, replace the gasket and make sure the drains are clear. i actually got some special lubricant for the sunroof mechanism, i'll report back on how it works out. when all of that is done, i can reinstall my headliner.

andré

André is that the rubber that goes around sunroof glass?, about the grease, i use marine grease on my years ago and is running very smoothly, is important to clean out all the old grease from the cables and the guides, best way to clean the clables is to roll them in a glass jar, put a hand full m6 bolts,fill it with gasoline, close it and shake they came out clean as new.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On August 17, 2016 at 10:42 AM, Goce said:

Hey Andre it's been couple of months how are you getting along with your 405 any progress fitting the new parts?

hi goce! thanks for your concern!

i haven't been spending a lot of time working on my car in the last few months. my mother in louisiana has leukemia (leucémie) and she has been undergoing chemotherapy (chimiothérapie), so i have been traveling back and forth this summer to be with my parents who still live in louisiana. my mom is nearly 80 years old so the doctors have not been treating her as aggressively as they would if she were younger.

of course, i still have a law practice to manage here in los angeles so i have been very busy getting ready to travel and then rushing to catch up with work when i get back home.

the good news is, it appears that the therapy is working as my mother is now in remission. she is still tired a lot -- not as many red blood cells and we would like -- but she looks and feels much better so i am decreasing my visits to louisiana in the coming months. on friday i found some time to wash my 405 (it was filthy) and i'll be doing more in the coming weeks.

Photo%20Aug%2026%2010%2036%2051%20AM_zps

andre

• 4 weeks later...

thanks for the kind words, everyone. my mom is doing pretty good, she's still getting chemo but they're taking a less aggressive approach now. i just got off the phone with her, my uncle who lives in ecuador was in town visiting so she got to see him and they went out to lunch for louisiana seafood.

so i've been gearing up to do some more work on my car, the french and italian car show is coming up in early november and i just had lunch on friday with marc m (many of you know him from the Facebook group) at a local french restaurant; he is planning a get-together on the saturday before the sunday show, a bunch of us will be going to cars and coffee in la cañada and doing some other stuff. details forthcoming.

i also ordered some reproduction door gaskets/weatherstripping, i'll let you guys know how it turns out. i have only been able to find partial sets of NOS weatherstripping, and there was a guy from argentina on US eBay who was selling them but they became unavailable when i tried to order them.

more to come.

andre

• 6 months later...

after another lengthy absence, i'm back!

on wednesday i started installing the new door gaskets. i managed to get one side done, and i'll be doing the other side in the next few days.

i got some special adhesive for this project:

Photo%20Mar%2026%202%2041%2024%20PM%202_

it works very well but it gives of pretty strong fumes.

the first task was to sort out which gasket went where. on the 405, the front door gaskets have a "lip" on the top portion of the gasket; the back doors have two lips, one that covers the top of the door jamb and another that runs along the lower trailing edge of the jamb. here's what the top lips look like:

Photo%20Mar%2026%202%2002%2009%20PM_zpsj

Photo%20Mar%2026%202%2001%2058%20PM_zpsd

Photo%20Mar%2026%202%2001%2049%20PM_zpsu

incidentally, the white coloration that you see on top of the rear door gasket (immediately above) is not glare, it's overspray from the car's repaint some years ago. the driver's door gasket was the only one that was in really bad shape, but all of the gaskets had more or less overspray on them so this is another reason why i wanted to replace them; i cleaned a lot of this off earlier (upthread), but there was still a bit of white paint on the old gaskets.

the reproduction gaskets i got are very good, they match the originals exactly. once i figured out which gasket went where, they went on pretty easily. i did the passengers' side first, and i started with the front door. once i got the trim pieces out of the way, i removed the old gaskets; they came out pretty easily, and there was loads of dirt underneath them along the pinch welds:

Photo%20Mar%2026%203%2017%2024%20PM_zps2

i got all of that cleaned out and installed the front door gasket. after that gasket was glued in place, i reinstalled the trim that surrounds that door. i realized that the trim fits into a groove in the seals and holds it in place quite securely -- the trim pieces are a close fit. the gaskets came out so easily because they were not glued in place. so i decided to install the rear door seal without using the glue, and it came out great.

Photo%20Mar%2026%204%2014%2003%20PM_zpsy

i read several threads on door seal replacements, and they all said that the doors might be a bit harder to close at first (until the seal compresses a bit); i certainly found this to be true. but the new seals give the door a very satisfying "thunk" when one closes them. so i'm glad i did this.

i also sent my shift knob off to be recovered. i haven't seen very many NOS leather shift knobs available, and the few i've seen have been very expensive. getting the old knob recovered is a bit cheaper and gives me the option of customization. the place i sent it to primarily does steering wheels, and their work looks stock so if i like the way my shift knob comes out, i'll send my steering wheel in next. my shift pattern cap has some marking and worn spots (hard to see in this photo), so i got a replacement cap some time ago; i sent it in with the knob to the leather shop.

Photo%20Mar%2026%205%2019%2007%20PM_zpsu

10 hours ago, Mike T said:

Nice work!  I need to get some of that Würth weather strip adhesive for the 404C.

i got mine from pelican parts. my older brother used to assemble model planes in the 70s; this adhesive smells just like airplane glue (you never forget that smell!).

hopefully i can install the drivers' side gaskets this weekend. i decided that i'm going to glue the front door gasket in as that door gets the most use (by far), just for a little extra piece of mind.

Nice to see you back on the forum Andre, the 405 body shell is very flexible, all that flex worn down the door seals, i had a very annoying whistle above 160 Km/h, replace the seal with a good used did not helped, so i cut a piece of the old seal, then cut a small hole and packed the seal with the other piece and that fix it, thought i'll mention it if you run it the same problem may help.