What did you do today?

JunktionFET

I changed a noisy radiator fan on the GTI16, turns out you can do it without removing the front bumper, the radiator or even the cowl that hold the radiator and the fans ; on the other hand you need to take apart half of the electric motor to keep the old brush support, that way you have enough space to slide it between the radiator and the cowl.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

a while back i had an iPhone 5; i'd had it a while and the battery was dying -- it wouldn't hold a charge and when it did, it would run down quickly. so i ordered a new battery from a company called ifixit and replaced my battery with a new one. it worked great! and the phone was fine after that. i upgraded recently to a newer model and my daughter now uses my old iPhone happily.

anyhow, my wife has an iPhone 5s and her battery has been dying recently. so i ordered a new battery for her phone and when it came in a couple of days ago, i set about replacing it. disassembly of the phone went well, even easier than my other phone, but when it came to removing the old battery, i hit a snag. under the battery are two adhesive strips -- usually if one is careful, you can pull both strips out from under the battery in one piece, around either side of the battery. on my wife's phone, however, the strips had dried out and hardened so i couldn't pull them out. ifixit's instructions tell how to deal with this (gently heat the phone from underneath to soften the strips) but i must have missed this in my reading. so i was trying to pull the battery off with a pair of needle-nosed pliers. on the iPhone, the battery is made up of many layers of chemicals and foil. if some of the chemicals separated by the foil are mixed, they can combust suddenly...or so i discovered.

apparently, in pulling the battery out, i bent it too much and pierced the foil inside. i found myself with a 6-inch fireball in my right hand! fortunately, i was working in my house near the sliding glass door to the patio, and the door was open. also fortunately, i still had the pliers in my right hand. so i stepped out onto the patio and removed the flaming battery quickly and threw it to the pavement. the good news is, i was quick enough to avoid injury to myself or to the phone. i cleaned the phone up with some alcohol and q-tips and put everything back together, and it worked great. so i was dumb but lucky!

here's the old battery:

Photo%20Apr%2003%2011%2035%2013%20AM_zps

Photo%20Apr%2003%2011%2035%2017%20AM_zps

the black socks are me. the white socks with flip-flops are my wife, telling me i'm a dumbass. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Today i spend a full day in the garage working on the little car started with the easy work mounted the LPG vaporizer, valves, switch, fuel line, mounted the gas cylinder, then started on the interior started by changing the door carts, painted the rims factory silver, change the rear exhaust muffler, there was a rusty spot on the rocker panel, i cut out the rust spot welded a fresh piece of metal and used little body filler to finish it, tomorrow i plan to finish the whole car, will post photos when finish.

dsc_0015.jpg

• 1 month later...

I need to do some welding on my mi16x4 conversion, my welder is little worse for wear, so i spend half a day working on it and fix it it needed a new ground wire and clamp, the original wire was too thin and short, and melted the insolation and the clamp, the welder did not have a jack for the graund cable, so i both a new jack and terminal, then removed the old cable, drill the hole bigger, and filed a nach for the terminal not to rotate, changed the internal cable from the transformer to the terminal, then i was able to close the cover, than i use elictrical  tape to tape the new cable, the cable itself is old and very thick i also got a new clamp and attach it at both ends, then i changed the consumables on the mig gun, the old ones are not that worn, i change them every wire spool last time i change the spool i did not change them, now it works perfectly no more smoking ground cable.

DSC_0003JPG.jpg

DSC_0007JPG.jpg

It is a Varstroj, varmig 160 A is is made in slovenia, I've had it couple of years now and except the ground cable have not had any issues at all, i'm running straight co2 and 0.8mm solid wire, on sheet metal it will run all day, on the thicker metal it loses power after a 1 meter of weld, but i rarely weld that long so is no issue, good machine.

DSC_0005JPG.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well i use some scrap and build this sheet metal bender, to use it in making the new tunnel for the gearbox, at first i was getting radius bends, not sharp letar i use a piece of angle in between the dies, got the sharp straight bend, i was looking for, looks ugly but little paint will help with that.

DSC_0005JPG.jpg

DSC_0006JPG.jpg

DSC_0007JPG.jpg

8 hours ago, my3AWDgst said:

Landed in Croatia early this morning:-)

I'll visit Serbia and Hungry for F1 GP.

If you are in my neighborhood call, i'll like to meet you in person.
Ps i'll personal message you my phone number.

• 1 month later...

Last two Saturday's were all about DSMs :-)

I helped my friend Derek to remove M/T drive train as car is getting built for drag racing so he's going to do A/T drive train swap.

My other friend Frank wanted to swap he's Auto to M/T so I told him to do even swap with Derek as he wants Auto for drag racing. Yesterday we removed M/T drive train out of Frank's car. 

Derek has Aluminum rod,10.5:1 E85 engine and he's shooting for 8's

He also ownes 05 EVO MR,it runs 11,8 with only basic bolt ons. Got to love force of 4g63!!!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I had a great weekend at the lake celebrating my youngest's 6th birthday, and my father-in-law's 67th (FIL).  This was the first time this summer going to the lake and my FIL was super excited to have everyone out...

Just a few days before the weekend his pontoon boat had some problems on the water, so he rushed it back to Saskatoon for service so that it could be fixed for the weekend.  Come Friday we got word that they didn't have the part and my FIL was crushed...

'Course I had to reach out to see if I could help, and in a few moments I found out what it needed.  Couple hours later I tracked down the part in Regina and FIL had already gone to the shop to pick the boat up so I could fix it at the lake.  Grabbed some tools and picked up the factory Mercury Marine "harness" a with a 100A fusable link in it, and headed to the lake.  (It was a 24" 4ga wire with a 100A fuse inline, with 1/4 eyelets at each end for $105CDN!  I tried to see if I could duplicate it - but I couldn't find an inline 100A fuse)

Went to work as soon as we arrived (250KM trip), and soon had the harness changed and the electrical connections all cleaned up and sorted out.  First try of the key and BANG - starter stopped immediately by a locked up motor...  FIL looks like he's been shot...  My mind is confused - it's a 2007 90HP EFI motor with only 118 hrs on it - it looks new.

Motivated now - I verify the motor does move slightly - it feels hydrolocked...  WTH?  Pull the plugs and they're all fouled, except the bottom plug which releases a cylinder full of fuel?  WTF?

FIL tells me more of how it died and as far fetched as it seemed I thought maybe extreme flooding?  I was grasping.  No LFR4A-E plugs in the resort town near the lake, so went old school and just cleaned up the old plugs.  Emery cloth to sharpen electrode, and a butane torch to dry out/clean the ceramic.  Pulled fuel line and then cranked engine at starter to blow out fuel.  Installed cleaned plugs and gave it a shot.  Engine fired but it sounds horrible!  Get more details - engine did the same rough running before it died... 

Get on the phone to my brother in law who's still in Saskatoon to pick up a new set of plugs - I figured they were still fouled.  (Had a similar experience on a Honda CBR600F3)

Got the new plugs this morning and swapped them out immediately and tried it again...  Same damn thing - really rough running, pouring out smoke.  FFS!

FIL is devistated as it looks bleak to take family for a spin in the lake.  I'm just pissed off - engines with 118 hours on them just don't die like this.  Time for some Google Fu.

10 minutes of searching I find a post about a similar condition - subsequent comments identify a 1/4" hose in the fuel module (surge tank that houses the fuel pumps and the fuel regulator) that can burst, sucking fuel into the intake manifold.  This has to be it.

Tie into the motor again after brunch and pull the fuel module apart.  BINGO!!  1/4" hose that connects vacuum to the FPR is blown apart.  Quick dash to the local store and we score 10' of 1/4" clear vinyl tubing.  Dash back to boat and reassembled the fuel module after replacing the 4" hose!

With fingers crossed we fired up the boat at about 12:30PM, and after a couple coughs she just purred!  We were on the lake by 1:30PM and enjoyed a good 3 hours on the lake today...  An awesome end to a weekend of wrenching. :)  

Rabin

11 hours ago, my3AWDgst said:

Last two Saturday's were all about DSMs :-)

I helped my friend Derek to remove M/T drive train as car is getting built for drag racing so he's going to do A/T drive train swap.

My other friend Frank wanted to swap he's Auto to M/T so I told him to do even swap with Derek as he wants Auto for drag racing. Yesterday we removed M/T drive train out of Frank's car. 

Derek has Aluminum rod,10.5:1 E85 engine and he's shooting for 8's

He also ownes 05 EVO MR,it runs 11,8 with only basic bolt ons. Got to love force of 4g63!!!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Sounds like you are getting ready for the DSM shootout.

Boat motor:  Funny thing is my FIL always bugged me for working on cars - he's a woodworker and figures my garage should be a wood shop.   :)  Turned out to be the best present he could have asked for as all the grand kids were super excited when it fired. 

My FIL is an awesome guy - so I was happy to win son in law points as well as marital points for the fix.

DSM:  Sweet cars Savo!  Have fun at DSM shootout - I'm curious to see if any records get broken... :)

Rabin

• 2 weeks later...

I was at my buddies house on Sunday (Derek DSM-EVO friend) helping out with brakes swap. He's doing auto crossing with he's EVO so he upgraded front brakes to EVO X as brake rotors are 14" vs 12.8 on EVO 8 and 9.

I end up trading him parts for he's brake calipers (front and rear) so I can run them under 16" wheel and 26x9,5 slick tires on my black car. Red one has EVO X brakes and JDM knuckles already.

Secon picture is wheel/tire/brake/color combo I'll be running on my car. I also ordered JDM knuckles and send it all to my powder coater.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg