Hugh's 1987 505 STX V6 Project

PeugeotPilot

I've not seen engines offered across the pond.  You'd think that others would also have cross-bolted mains... But... Are they really needed?   The lower case of every PRV six is part of the structure of the engine and I've never had one apart that had issues related to main bearings.   Even when run with a broken oil pump chain the bottom ends have looked better then expected.   The (dolt) owner continues to drive it with that red oil can staring at him and it runs fine until the driver's side cam seizes in the head... Which is when it gets driven to the repair shop.  Yes; driven in.   Complaint?  Lack of power and the engine seems noisy.  Seen it more than once. 

Every odd-firing crank I have seen looks to my eye to be cast.   Not that I've ever seen an issue with one aside from the shaky idle.   

You wish for 220lb/ft.   Make it a 3.4 with heads that work and headers... Bet it goes plenty well enough for that modest goal. This will require programmable management which gives you the opportunity to optimize for something other then smog.   It can still easily pass a smog test where that is needed as they don't test at WOT.   

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I never considered the PRV bottom end to be underbuilt; it always looked pretty strong to my eye and of course I've never heard of a main bearing failure in any PRV. The cross-bolted mains just sounded like an interesting detail for a higher-output engine. Peugeot successfully extracted 680 hp from the PRV using twin turbos and intercoolers, while running it up to 8200 rpm. I'm not sure what bottom end arrangement they went with but clearly the engine is plenty strong. They used a special DOHC 4-valve head in that application.

"Make it a 3.4..." You mean 3.4L? Would that mean the Premier/Monaco crank with an offset grind and the heads and liners from the same car? As for headers, I think I'll just have them custom-made. I doubt the Peugeot exhaust manifolds are much better than the Volvo units.

I owned a 605 with 3.0 ZPJ V6 even fire, very under stress very smough easy revving engine, i'm sure thet that engine on low boost will excite your power levels and last for ever, you can look for a peugeot 605 v6 1997 or older, i know they wore imported in canada.

Stock Peugeot manifolds suck - very similar to the Volvo ones.  Renault did nice manifolds.

My brother Arun has fitted the Renault exhaust manifolds and a custom exhaust and it made for quite a noticeable improvement - car sounds wicked at full chat too.

John - I have to admit I'm a fan of the odd fire.  I had a Euro odd fire in my 504 sedan (Much like Mike Halley ran back in the day), and the sound it made pulling to redline would make the hair on my neck stand up.  Ghetto 2.25" with a single cherry bomb muffler made for a pretty raunchy engine note that was VERY distinctive.

Even fire is a much better engine no doubt, but that odd fire sound is its own reward. :)

Btw - can you give the old odd-fire engines 3L liners?  I bought some 3L pistons, liners, and crank  from Matt Dupuis old build build. :)

Rabin

The late liners will not slide into the odd-firing block.  Base of the liners is bigger.   

That said there is no reason you couldn't drop an odd-firing crank into a late block.   Should also be able to stroke that crank should you be so inclined.   More displacement being more fun with quite a bit higher static compression ratio given flat-top pistons.  

Heads will bolt right on.  Use head gaskets for the bore size you choose. 

Every one of these Frenchie sixes can be made to make quite the menacing tone... Good stuff. 

You ended up with Matt's goodies... Time flies! 

Seems like Mike Halley ended up with my IDA-3 carbs  and intakes.  I could be wrong. 

I got the ancient laptop (Windows '98) to talk with the rallycar today.   Uh-oh.

On 7/23/2016 at 2:09 PM, Goce said:

I owned a 605 with 3.0 ZPJ V6 even fire, very under stress very smough easy revving engine, i'm sure thet that engine on low boost will excite your power levels and last for ever, you can look for a peugeot 605 v6 1997 or older, i know they wore imported in canada.

No, we never got the 605.  1991 was the end, with the 405 only.

I Know i've seen picture of a 605 with us plates, as for the car itself, my brother had a 605, he drove it like a rental for years and i took it like a champ absolutely like tank, the ride is like driving on a magic carpet, smooth, silent, now i'm daly driving a series 2 with variable suspension, if anyone gets a chance to drive or buy one , do it, it's like driving a 405 on steroids, watch?v=ztEtrX69Zco

• 4 weeks later...

A 605 is on my wish list, but I'll have to import one from France I suspect, as I've never seen one on these shores.

A little update on the STX though:  The Nardi wheel and hub are on their way, and I'll post pics as soon as they show up.  The style I ordered is pictured below:

6090.35.2092.jpg

I will not complete the interior until I get my last 505s imported from the US, as my plan is to use the very best blue dash I have in this car, and put the second-best one in the STI.  Right now I'm not sure which those are.  Both cars will get dash mats, which I've already got.  I think I'd mentioned before that I plan to rebuild and re-engineer the shift linkage to improve the feel and shorten the throws.  In addition to that I will see how feasible it is to place the whole assembly a bit further aft, as I've always felt that the reach to fifth gear was a little long from my preferred driving position.  It might wind up being a completely custom assembly.  We will see.

Progress was very slow while I was busy with the flight school's yearly Air Cadet contract, but now that's wrapped up and with the onset of cooler weather in September I will have more time and better conditions to move ahead.  I have partially fitted the body kit and the new mud guards (pictures below) as well as the new driving lights.  I am looking at some sort of lip (Rhino Lip or similar) for the bottom of the air dam, and something similar to bridge the gap between the bumper and the top of the air dam, purely for aesthetic reasons.  I'm looking for a seamless, factory look for the tucked bumpers. Note that in these pictures I've trimmed the front bumper slightly so that it sits flush, which looks much better.  The part I removed was a section of the inner molding that fits around a metal guide on each side.  The remaining structure is rigid enough that it should not warp or droop. Once all is sorted out and I'm happy with the fit I'll get the body kit cleaned up and painted body colour.  I'll probably do the same with the air dam as it could use refinishing.  The patina on the rest of the car will have to stay for the time being as I can't afford to have it repainted completely right now.

13418385_10154223713735365_4684536229805631866_o.jpg13403128_10154223942470365_6272420956576922118_o.jpg13443310_10154223942650365_5121765420366441124_o.jpg13403260_10154223943210365_9120134796237100524_o.jpg13391411_10154223942410365_8107537896037539443_o.jpg13411770_10154223943650365_2089695262328510961_o.jpg

13412214_10154223942795365_5453233978090882559_o.jpg

Engine-wise, the project has evolved somewhat.  Phase I will be basically status quo, with the existing engine staying put.  I'll adjust the valves, clean up the snake's nest of hoses and wires in the engine bay, paint the valve covers, and not a lot else at this point.  I want the car on the road before too much more time goes by.  Phase II will involve a turbocharged PRV, either a 200 hp 2.5 from an Alpine GTA, or possibly the 250 hp 3.0 from an A610, or a custom build using what I have available (with appropriate internal mods of course as John Lane recommends).  Either way, a turbocharged PRV is the endgame in this car, which will make it (in my opinion) the ultimate expression of the 505 STX.  By contrast, I think the Danielson-spec Series I 505 build I've talked about elsewhere will be a high-revving normally-aspirated version.

Hi Hugh, I think it was you who posted lots of pictures of various 505s somewhere in Alberta. I have just acquired a 1980 505 that needs a replacement windscreen. Any chance you have such a thing available to another Peugeot fan? Rabin mentioned you as someone to contact.

Richard, Vernon BC

• 9 months later...

I see that it's been a while since I updated this.  The STX had been sitting outside for quite awhile, rudely booted out by the upstart 406 Coupe (which, come to think of it, I should start a build thread for as well).  About two weeks ago I drove it (yes, even with the interior torn apart) to Cayley and made room for it in the shop there.  I need to rearrange a few things before I put it on stands and really get to work.  I now have two sets of really good blue leather seats, two almost-perfect blue dashboards, and almost everything else I need to do the interior swap.

So, to reiterate, this is the plan for Phase 1:

1. Remove and replace entire interior with the best stuff I've got.

2. Completely rebuild the shifter, modifying it to improve feel, shorten throws in both planes, and reduce the reach to the shifter.  I want to move the whole thing toward the rear of the car about an inch so it's not so hard to reach from my preferred arms-out driving position.

3. Finish fitting the body kit (thanks Rabin!) and then have it professionally stripped and painted the OEM Peugeot blue to match the admittedly badly faded body colour.  Repainting the rest of the body will happen in Phase 2 along with the engine and suspension mods.  For the time being it's not going to match well, but I'm going to use some sort of cut polish on the paint and try to bring back some lustre to the existing paint.  I'll also touch up the few little chips where the paint is missing, as those may rust if not protected in spite of Alberta's dry climate.

4. Verify that all ball joints and bushings in the front and rear are good.  In Phase 2 I'll replace and/or upgrade most of the bushings, but for now I'll just change what's worn.  I'll get an alignment done as well.

5. Repack all four wheel bearings and inspect brakes and brake lines.

6. Remove valve covers, set valve clearances. Paint valve covers and reinstall.

7. Tidy up the under-hood layout by rearranging and re-routing various hoses and wires.  This will also involve wiring in dual electric fans to replace the engine-driven viscous fan.  The goal here is to be able to actually see the engine when the hood is opened.

8. Get the tachometer to work.  Really irritating to not have that functioning.

9. Add a few custom touches (different steering wheel, shift knob...that sort of thing).  Nothing too crazy.  I have an aftermarket stereo to fit to this car and I'll replace the speakers with new ones.  I also have a European-style roof-mount antenna that I'll install.

10. Replace oil in engine, transmission, and differential.  Drain, flush and refill cooling system.

11. Get the Out-of-Province Inspection done and start enjoying this great car!

Peugeot7.jpg

Peugeot8.jpg

My only suggestion to that plan is to just scuff those body kit pieces and respray with single stage auto paint spay bombs until you get the whole car painted.

I'd even go so far as to even suggesting painting the mid bodyline down including the body kit - and leaving the top faded for now.  Once the feathered edges of the remaining clear coat is cleaned  up - it should look pretty good!

Rabin

5 hours ago, Bean said:

My only suggestion to that plan is to just scuff those body kit pieces and respray with single stage auto paint spay bombs until you get the whole car painted.

I'd even go so far as to even suggesting painting the mid bodyline down including the body kit - and leaving the top faded for now.  Once the feathered edges of the remaining clear coat is cleaned  up - it should look pretty good!

You know, that's an excellent idea.  Not like it wouldn't get painted again anyway later when I do the whole car.  Yes, I think I'll do that.  Thanks for the suggestion!

Looking back on my previous posts, I see that I should explain what happened to the Nardi steering wheel idea.  I did in fact order and receive the wheel, but when I installed it on the 505 I didn't like the way it looked.  I really wanted to, but I just didn't.  Then I tried it on the 406 Coupe and it looked great, so there it stays.  The hunt for the perfect wheel for the STX continues, but I have some possibilites now including a Renault Fuego sport steering wheel that bolts right on and looks really good, or maybe something like the Grant wheel that I am saving for the Danielson project.

As of right now, any car built in 2002 or earlier can be imported to Canada.  That puts all but the last two years of 406C production within reach for Canadians.  Mine is a 2000, so it became legal two years ago.  Fifteen years is a long time, but at least it's better than the 25 years our neighbours to the south have to wait. 

• 2 years later...

Over two years since I last updated this.  The car is sitting in Cayley now, much as it was when I last posted.  I now have a parts car for it - another '87 STX with body damage and rust but a low-mileage excellent-running ZN3J and a PERFECT dashboard.  I have been considering a few options moving forward.  The 406 Coupe platform is going to become my focus, but I want to build a couple of interesting RWD Pugs still, and the STX has a place in my plan.  I have dramatically pared down my project list, and there is only one 505 on the list now - the '87 STX.  So now the question becomes: How best to build it?

I think that the most interesting idea is to build this '87 as something of an homage to the Danielson 505 V6 cars - which means installing a Phase I dashboard.  That means I can make use of the nice blue Phase I interior I have, except that I want to retain the '87 blue leather seats.  I will have to mock this up to see how it looks, but I think the later leather seats sort of resemble the Recaros used in the Danielson cars. Naturally I'll use the three-spoke Grant steering wheel I have and the short-throw shifter is still on the menu.

The 505 sunroof cables are problematic, and the sunroof in this car doesn't work in any case.  In keeping with the light/simple Danielson theme I think I'll just fit a tinted tip-up unit in place of the OEM sunroof assembly.  This should shave a few pounds from the roof and lower the car's center of gravity as well.

The body kit stays.  May source a Euro front bumper or fit one from an '89 to tidy up the front end.  Euro rear bumper as well would integrate better with the body kit as it was designed for those parts.

Teves Mk II ABS system and zero-offset front end will be retained, the only modifications being lowering springs and braided stainless brake lines.

As for the engine...I could go one of several ways with it.  My 604 project is slated to get a turbo 3.0 PRV based on an Eagle Premier engine, but I may go high-revving NA for the STX using a 3.0 Premier block and liners and a 2.5 Renault crank to bring the piston speed at 7000 rpm to the same value as the ZN3J at 6000 rpm.  I still need to think about this, and John Lane gave me a lot of food for thought in the previous comments here.

I am in the process of aggressively culling my herd to make room for my projects.  If I don't start now I will never get them done.

Thanks for the update Hugh!  Next time your in Cayley you should pics of the cars you’re referencing for others to see.

I finally made it out to Cayley and it really is a happy place for Peugeot enthusiasts!

Rabin

Its nice to see you posting again Hugh. I've been in your place couple of times, having many parts cars is a blessing and a headache. Too many options. I've done many cleanouts where i've taken 5-10 loads to the scrapyard of bad and good spare parts just because i have so many of them maybe you should start from that. That way you'll have more space and know what you have.