andrethx

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 hours ago, Mike T said:

The bubbles on the stalk are the "soft feel" clear paint.  It's horrible stuff.

Unfortunately I have already cleaned this kind of grey thing and it can't be paint because there is no hard plastic under it, just the stalk as good as new.

I cleaned it too but it is the chemical in the plastic that makes the tip feel soft that is separating and turning sticky.  It is possible to clean it off with acetone but then it goes the same way again and also feels sticky in damp weather.

hi goce, thanks for that. i know about the service box site and used it a lot until a couple of months ago, they began blocking users by IP address ("Votre pays de connexion n'est pas celui configuré, veuillez contacter voter administrateur"). since peugeot is not currently a going concern in the US, they started blocking US IP addresses. i haven't had the time or the energy lately to configure a vpn connection to get around this.

now i use a different site to look up 405 parts, it's sort of a (very) basic mirror of the service box site...

andré

since i got my car last year, i've never had a brace for the jack; the brace is the combination tire iron/jack handle that one uses on the wheel lugs, the jack and on the spare tire holder. it's a good thing i haven't gotten a flat yet! i got this part from italy, mainly because it was inexpensive and i wanted to check out a vendor there who ships to the US. the brace came as part of a set with a jack, so i have a spare jack:

Photo%20Feb%2017%2010%2019%2059%20AM_zps

the vendor was great, the shipping took several weeks. i was able to track the package most of the time, and the italian post seemed pretty speedy whereas the US post took a long time, not sure why that is. i will probably be buying more from this vendor, but i'll get several items at once to save on shipping.

so the brace is in my trunk now, plan is to get it powder coated so it looks nice.

andré

Yes andre that's the right tire iron/jack, same as the one in my, only mine is grey, yours looks like new, you may look into getting wheel alignment pin it makes changing a tire easy, you don't need to move the wheel forward and backwards to found the bolt holes.

mountingpin_category1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

new underhood stickers:

Photo%20Feb%2003%205%2024%2018%20PM_zpsf

Photo%20Feb%2023%204%2040%2020%20PM_zpsl

also, i started working on the interior recently; i removed the bezel that covers the stereo and the a/c controls so that i can wire up the new receiver i have for the car; additionally, i removed the front passenger's seat to clean the carpet. the carpet looks to be in very good shape, with just a few stains here and there. i decided not to pull it out, but to clean it in place with an extraction machine that i'll rent in the next week or two. as it turns out, my carpet has a rubber backing so i'm no longer concerned about water from the cleaning process remaining under the carpet. i also pulled the headliner out, the only difficult part was getting the sliding sunroof cover panel out; i figured out that the way to do that was to drop the back of the sunroof cassette/assembly. it is bolted to the roof in the front, middle and rear on both sides, and the front is also attached in the center where the sunroof motor bolts in. i left the two front bolts and the motor in place and unbolted everything else, which allowed me to pull the cover out of the back of the cassette.

Photo%20Mar%2011%2010%2000%2007%20AM_zps

i dropped the headliner & sliding cover off at the upholsterers this morning. they had originally quoted me US$125 for the job but i decided to upgrade the fabric to a mercedes velour so the new price is $275. the color of the new material is identical to the old fabric but the velour should give the headliner an updated look. you can see on the front of the headliner where it narrows, that's where the tracks for the passive restrain seatbelt system were before a previous owner removed them and installed conventional lap/shoulder belts on the car. as savo has suggested, i'm having the upholsterer leave a bit of extra fabric there to cover the resulting gap; i'll trim that when i re-install the headliner. if you look really closely, you can see the arrows i drew on the old fabric to show them where to leave the overhang.

the only bad news is that i got a message later this afternoon from the upholsterer that the handle on the sliding cover broke when they were removing it, i'll have to call them tomorrow to find out what happened with that. worst case scenario, i'll have to find a used cover somewhere to get another handle....:(

andré

Stickers look great, i've noticed that the US cars did not get Vin ID plate on the radiator support and the holes are there, do you get bad idle and stalling on a hot day in traffic am asking because i've noticed you missing the fresh air to the filter pipe, i've experienced bad idle when the one on my was missing.

goce, the opening on the air box where the fresh air pipe connects, is currently blocked by the radiator hose. something is a bit off with this, i'll try to post some pictures in the coming days. i'm planning to drain & flush the cooling system soon, that would be a good time to correct the hose layout. i also have a new thermostat & housing that i want to install at that time. for what it's worth, the climate is very nice here and i have not had any overheating problems.

as far as i know, none of the US 405s got the vin plate like some of the european cars; the vin is etched on to the top surface of the panel that separates the engine compartment from the trough that contains the windshield washer reservoir (what the brits would call the scuttle).

i got my headliner back today, they did a great job:

Photo%20Mar%2016%203%2019%2033%20PM_zps0

the material they used is actually a mercedes velour, it looks and feels great; i think will add a contemporary touch to the interior. even though the texture of the fabric is different, the color ("oyster" -- a light gray) is pretty close to the original. i asked them to leave a couple of inches to cover the gap over the front doors (from the removal of the automatic seatbelts), they left about 1.5" (about 40mm) of extra material all the way around. i'm not going to put this back in until i get chance to work on the sunroof.

i also got some alarm stickers from france, i'll be putting these on the front door glass; these are transparent reverse stickers that mount on the inside of the glass (autocollant vitre), i had to photograph them at an angle so you could see what they look like:

Photo%20Mar%2015%209%2051%2010%20PM_zpsx

i'm going to get the same upholstery shop that did the headliner to fix the ripped leather on the seats. i'm also going to have the windows professionally tinted, the sun in Los Angeles is brutal on the interior.

more soon.

here's a posting i found about sunroof repair on the 405, posted on the peugeot-l forum 11 years ago. i've left off the name of the poster to protect his privacy, but it's message number 56411 for those of you who are interested:

First, if you are going to work on your car, you should get a manual. 
It will save you alot of times and prevent you from making any mistake.

Haynes makes manual for 405. not sold on US so you will have to find 
one on ebay UK. Many will ship to US for small fee and take paypal 
payment. Be sure to get the pupple colored cover one that covers model 
year upto OCT 92. If you get the later edition, sunroof repair 
procedure won't be there.

Meantime, the moonroof (proper term is moonroof if it's glass and has 
a seperate sunshade)
Your problem is stuck frozen cable. Cables easily rust. There are two 
cables in there. One for right and one for left track.

Glass can be removed. First remove the motor by removing the overhead 
console cover (2 screws behind the front lights, one behind map light 
and one behind the switch and motor is in place by 2 screws) YOu will 
see 5-6 screws at the front part of the glass frame with sunshade 
slided back. Remove those.
There will be two large screws holding the rear. (could be 4)
with sunshade slided back, look for the part which lifts up the glass 
when you tilt the roof. Remove those.

Glass comes off from the top of the car. The cables are attached to 
the tilting and sliding assembly. You can pull the whole assembly from 
the each side of the tracks with cables. Cables should have threads 
rusted and worn out. Motor rarely goes out but it too can have worn 
out worm gear.

It's hard to explain everything in words but you will figure out one 
you dive into it.

the haynes manual he is referring to is number 1559, i have a pdf copy but i have to disagree that it is useful, it only has a couple of paragraphs regarding the sunroof and they only explain how to remove the motor, nothing else. i'm thinking (hoping) that my problem is not a broken cable, but rather sludge in the tracks since my sunroof works intermittently. here's another peugeot-l post from 9 years ago (message number 67318):

The sunroof on the '92 mi was redone when the headliner was re- 
covered last year. The effective way to take care of the sunroof is  
to drop the headliner and remove the sunroof and track assembly. Crud  
of various sorts builds up in the tracks, esp. if one mistakenly used  
wd 40 up there. It can really best be cleaned out of the car. Mine  
was completely stuck, and now works perfectly. It just took a really  
good cleaning.

If your headliner is medium to poor, its a good excuse to get it all  
done. Having it work again is great.

since i park my 405 outside, i need to find a whole day when i can drop the sunroof assembly (cassette), clean it and put it back in, in one go. that'll probably be in a week or two. i'll take lots of pictures to make it easier on the next person. :)

andré

• 3 weeks later...

buyin' stuff. i got a GTI6 oil pan as Savo suggested. this one came from the UK:

Photo%20Apr%2007%205%2009%2027%20PM_zpsj

it has a little spring-loaded trap door, helps to prevent fuel starvation during all of the extreme cornering that i do :):

Photo%20Apr%2007%205%2009%2036%20PM_zpsq

those black squiggly lines on the bottom of the pan are greasy dirt, not cracks.

i also got a package of parts in yesterday from Mike Aube, got some good stuff. will post that shortly.

andré

19 hours ago, my3AWDgst said:

Remember to extend oil pick up...

what's the best way to do that?

some good stuff i got from mike aube:

mounting plate for the engine ecu (used) -- this was missing from my car when i got it, my ecu currently flopping around in the ecu box:

Photo%20Apr%2008%203%2023%2016%20PM_zpsh

replacement headrest (used) -- i got this for the foam, the foam on my driver's side headrest is dried out and disintegrating...my daughter says that the dust it drops looks like cheeto dust:

Photo%20Apr%2008%203%2023%2006%20PM_zpsp

replacement vents (used); my vents function okay, but the mounting tabs on them are broken so they flop around and squeak as i'm driving around town:

Photo%20Apr%2008%203%2021%2025%20PM_zpsg

edit: oops, the center vent is my old one, you can tell by the broken tab...will get another pic of the good one...

my favorite items -- a matching set of NOS foglight kits. this wasn't cheap:o:

Photo%20Apr%2008%203%2025%2026%20PM_zpsh

more to come

it never occurred to me that the left vent might not be mine, i asked for & paid for the left vent and center vent. i'll check with mike about it, though.

as it turns out, though, as i opened more boxes, i found another center vent so one is certainly for me and the other is for you. :) so the only question is about the left vent -- were you expecting a left vent also? still got one box left to open -- the long one -- i'll let you know what i find.

What is special with the US model fog light, the plastic around it?

These are originals but the later ones like on the 306 where more waterproof and with a real connector:

0be64ec029a7308da67e9318be77a83544ca93b9

In these plastic supports you can also put driving lights if you don't have that much fog to deal with.

3 hours ago, SRDT said:

What is special with the US model fog light, the plastic around it?

These are originals but the later ones like on the 306 where more waterproof and with a real connector:

0be64ec029a7308da67e9318be77a83544ca93b9

In these plastic supports you can also put driving lights if you don't have that much fog to deal with.

Plastic is what holds them in place as hole in the bumper is just an empty hole. 

3 hours ago, Goce said:

Both the fog lamps seam the same like the euro mi16 lamps, the plastic surround is like the euro diesel 405 got, why don't you look for a euro style mi16 bumpers they look the best and have fog lamps.

We all agree that Euro bumpers look the best but to import bumpers and side skirts is extremely costly?

I've looking for some time now but shipping cost is just ridiculous...