Peugeot family is giving in to GM

@arun -- i can't imagine that peugeot would cancel their pike's peak run...it's in a few days and they are already there. as i understand it, red bull is putting up most of the money anyway.

@koll -- that may be true, but it's hard to see how peugeot & citroën would fit into bmw's lineup, or how psa's operations would fit with bmw's...

andré

The only company that can save Peugeot is BMW. Everybody else are just vultures.

This. And I see more compatibility in a such a kind of venture as well. As some of you are probably aware, BMW uses Peugeot engines in several of its Mini cars.

They already have a good relationship in regards to sharing technology. Also, BMW is a market leader. They're a company that posts record sales figures every year, where as PSA is fighting to decrease its losses every year..

Is there a possibility that Pikes Peak for Peugeot will be cancelled?

Arun

I highly doubt this as well.

Sina

PSA sells mass market cars, BMW sells upscale cars. The only crossover between the two would be Citroen. Although not too much, Citroen's big sedans aren't too much and probably sell better with the security that a healthy company that makes decent cars is calling the shots.

Manufacturing is clearly different but couldn't be more expensive than Germany. Oh well.

Wow - that is stark...

The only wild card in all this is the extreme pressure both the German and French governments will hold over any such merger. Sounds like neither government will let this happen, but no idea what that would mean if the governments actually took stakes in each company... Definitely doesn't look good at all though.

REALLY glad I made the effort to come to Pike's Peak this year as this could possibly be the last time Peugeot is in competition, but if survival means GM then there really isn't anything to lose.

Rabin

• 2 weeks later...

Some new information published today on the Peugeot-GM Alliance:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-07-12/gm-focused-on-completing-peugeot-programs-girsky-says.html

General Motors Co. Vice Chairman Steve Girsky reiterated that the automaker doesn’t plan to invest further in PSA Peugeot Citroen and called speculation about expanding ties between the automakers a distraction.
"All I want to do is get the programs, the current programs, to work," Girsky said in an interview at Bloomberg News headquarters in New York
Girsky said today Peugeot is viable, citing how the company is working on projects with other carmakers including Ford Motor Co. and Toyota Motor Corp.
"Peugeot is a very good company," the GM executive said. "They know how to operate when capital is tight because that’s what they’ve done."
"Things are starting to slowly stabilize but it’s market by market," Girsky said. "Things are still terrible. I don’t want to leave anyone with the impression that things are going to get better any time soon there because that’s not what we’re planning on."

• 2 weeks later...

Yes but it only conserns PSA Finance and it is just a garantee to keep the credit rates as low as possible. It has been made in the rush like 10 months ago. Another automaker complained at the EU justice court and the result just came now.

The share came up and things are going better.