Peugeot Boxer coming Stateside

norcal505

Interesting. It really seems that Chrysler has wiped its hands clean of Mercedes-Benz.

The previous Dodge (Mercedes) Sprinter, which is now being sold in the U.S as a true "Mercedes-Benz" is going to be replaced with the Ram ProMaster.

For those unaware, Dodge for some reason divided their Ram trucks and Caravans into a brand of their own, simply called "Ram." :lol:

Anyhow, this seems to be the second, or third(?) "new Peugeot" available for sale in the United States, under a different marque - of course, because which American in the right mind would buy a Peugeot? :rolleyes:

Honestly, if you live in Southern California, you could just head south to Tijuana and grab a probably cheap front grille and drive-back with une nouvelle Peugeot.

I have actually seen a couple a of new ones; here in San Diego and back up north in Lake Tahoe, near the Sierra Mountains.

So here you are, the Ram Powermaster, *cough* Peugeot Boxer, *cough* Citroen Jumper, *cough* Fiat Ducato.

ram-ducato.jpg

peugeot-boxer.jpg

-Sina

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I had no idea the Outlander was a Peugeot/Citroen in Gisha wear. None. Zip. Zilch. However, it does explain why, when looking to replace my Ford Escape we kept going back to the Outlander. Damn thing was hard to resist, drove one twice, looked at them at least 4 times.

Splitting Ram made good sense actually. Their trucks have a good reputation and by making it a stand alone brand its more versatile and can more easily be jettisoned if needed.....Can't explain the Caravan side of things.

With Fiat owning Chrysler, if it went in all went in the tank they could still keep Ram and Jeep and Caravan brands alongside Fiat and make a go of it. Or sell them off as they have market value. Jeep made by Tata anyone???

• 4 weeks later...

i saw a red fiat ducato today in los angeles traffic -- at about 3pm, it was heading east on olympic boulevard towards century city. had michigan manufacturer's plates...looked similar to the pic i posted above, but no side windows and lots of dirt.

i was headed the opposite direction, and didn't have my phone handy to take a pic.... :(

andré

possibly, or headed back that way...it was heading east, and we're about 5 miles from the ocean as the crow flies (i saw the ducato right near my house).

living on the westside of LA, i see these manufacturer's test cars about once or twice a month...usually they are camouflaged with black vinyl covers (like bras, but covering the whole car) but this ducato was completely uncovered. as far as i can tell, though, it was the current model so either we are getting the current model (as a RAM) or the vehicle i saw was a test mule.

also, i occasionally get called by local marketing firms to do focus groups...if i have the time and it's something i'm interested in, i'll try to get into the group (the phone screeners will give you subtle hints as to the demographic answers they are looking for, they get paid to fill the groups). last year i was in a focus group for the car that eventually became the dodge dart....i didn't mention it at the time b/c they made us sign a confidentiality agreement. they showed us a mockup of the car and asked us what we thought...

andré

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

here's a related news item -- GM is reported to be considering selling peugeot vans in the US. GM would sell these vehicles under one of its own brands, GMC i'm guessing (qualité professionnelle!). so in the future we may not only be able to buy the boxer/ducato/promaster, but also the bipper, partner and/or expert...

andré

• 2 weeks later...

okay, i'm linking to this story (en français) -- it doesn't say anything else about the GM-PSA van deal besides what's mentioned in the reuters article i linked to (above), except that it mentions that the peugeot expert is going to be sold in some markets as the toyota proace. i did not know that!

2013-Toyota-ProAce-1_zps05f54dad.jpg

also, in the article they photoshopped a chevrolet badge onto a peugeot expert... :)

Chevrolet_Peugeot_zpsa50425bd.jpg

andré

well, these are work trucks, they will be bought in fleets or available for rental at hertz-penske so the looks are less important than the practical aspects of the things.

if you are judging based on looks, though -- ram trucks has said that the promaster will be available later this summer (which means any time now, i guess) but one size below that, they are still selling a windowless variant of the dodge caravan (the ram c/v tradesman); in that same class of work vehicle, chevrolet will soon be selling a badge-engineered version of the nissan nv200 called the "city express." like its nissan source, the city express is god-awful looking. the expert looks pretty good compared to this lot, IMHO, but maybe a bit less attractive than the competing ford transit connect...

andré

• 6 months later...

reviving this thread....so now the ram promaster is a thing, i've seen a couple here around LA. i've also been reading that fiat is bringing the doblo small van to compete with the successful ford transit connect (now in its second generation here in north america)...a couple of days ago i saw a red doblo driving down olympic boulevard here in west LA -- the same place i saw the ram promaster (née fiat ducato) vans. like those larger vans, the doblo i saw was red, with no badges of any kind and with michigan manufacturer's plates. that sighting is what prompted me to revive this thread.

also earlier in this thread, we talked about GM bringing eurovans to north america as ford and fiat/chrysler have done...GM will shortly be selling nissan's nv200 as the chevrolet city express (another vehicle in the transit connect/doblo class). you may remember the nv200, it got lots of press a while back as NYC's choice for the new taxi vehicle to replace the extinct ford crown victoria. as to why GM is selling a rebadged nissan and not one of its own opel/vauxhall vehicles, here's an interesting article that addresses that question. long story short, the nissan was ready to go, already federalized and being built in north america (mexico).

GM may yet sell its opel vans here. interestingly, a number of those vehicles are rebadged renaults. the opel/vauxhall movano -- a ram promaster/ford transit-class van-- is in reality the renault master. the opel/vauxhall vivaro is the renault trafic. i've read here and there that the next version of this vehicle will be brought to the US as a replacement for the venerable chevrolet van (now called the chevrolet express)/gmc savana. it will be interesting to see where this vehicle is built...renault/nissan make lots of cars in mexico, as does GM...GM vans are currently built in the US (in missouri).

andré