What did you do today?

JunktionFET

That's a good idea, Rabin - I'll give that a try. Uploading to Ubuntu One is taking forever as the first video file is 1.6 GB. I might try converting them first to see if I can get the file size smaller. My biggest thing is that I don't want the whole world to see this stuff, just those on this site, so I'll try marking them as private like you suggest and see how that works.

We still need to plan a day or weekend to go up there and pull a bunch of parts for your projects. I am going to try to be up there every other weekend at least from this point on. Lots of work to do but I'm energized and looking forward to it.

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm looking forward to coming up as well, and also trying to figure out the best use of time while there... I'm tempted to suggest camping there overnight to get two full days in, and then either leave after the second day, or first thing the third day.

It's a fairly long trek from Regina, so I want to make sure it's worth the effort. I also need to make sure I have room here for the parts I bring back. :) Priority will be a good passenger rear quarter panel, ABS specific parts, and various parts and such that will hopefully help get my cars farther down the road to getting done.

Looking forward to the video! :D Can't wait to see the 87' up close to see what we got.

Rabin

We're getting heavy snow today. It's been accumulating about an inch an hour since about 10:00 this morning. The news just said it's doing 1 1/2 to 2 inches an hour now. It is also very windy, so the drifts are chest high in many places, including up over the front of the 505. I've shoveled it out a couple of times. I'm able to back it out of it's drift with one or two rocks back and forth, and then shovel the vacated spot before putting it back in. My wife was out in the Honda around noon and I was also out in the Peugeot. She said she slid a little here and there. I felt very sure footed. I haven't tried to dig her car out yet. It's going to snow most of the night and having one car available in an emergency is enough. I'll get up early and shovel her out just once. It's also supposed to be very cold for the next few days. I put some winter additive in my diesel fuel. The winter blend we get around here still doesn't do well in the single digits F or below. When we had that polar vortex thing a few weeks ago, I couldn't start it for several days. Once we had a warmer day I added some of the winter additive and drove around a little. The next day the temp went down again and I was able to start it without too much trouble, so I think the fuel had stopped flowing. I've been starting and running it about every 5 hours today, for good measure.

ever since we bought my wife's ford explorer sport trac, i haven't liked the aftermarket alarm system that the previous owner installed. although the PO included the factory remote locking fobs, we couldn't use them because doing so would set off the alarm -- so we had to use the remote locking fobs included with the alarm, which were flimsy (one broke soon after we got it). additionally, the alarm was very loud and unpleasant sounding. i considered removing it, but since it was tied into lots of different circuits on the truck and since i could not get a good wiring diagram (or replacement key fob) from the manufacturer of this now-discontinued alarm, i was just living with it.

earlier this week, though, one of my neighbors told me that the alarm was going off every night and constantly waking his family. so i decided i had to remove the evil computer or at least disable it without disabling the entire vehicle. here's a photo of me working on it yesterday:

2001halshutdown_zps53437689.jpg

:) i managed to remove it without disabling the truck or its systems (i.e., remote door locks), but it took several hours that i could have used to work on my peugeot.

also, i recently build some high-mounted storage in my garage using leftover wood from a different project -- yes, those are leather seats from a 505 on the new shelf!

PhotoJan2222811PM_zpsda68b2bd.jpg

hopefully i'll have some time to work on my car soon....

andré

*Pictures Andre under dash frantically snipping wires as the truck is calmly asking "Just what do you think you're doing, Andre?" A la HAL. :D

Would it not have been easier to unplug the siren? :P (just kidding - I would have spent the time to do it right as well!)

Rabin

• 2 weeks later...

So, after cursing my video editing software, then myself for recording everything in 1080p and creating such huge mp4 files in the first place, I have decided that a series of screenshots will suffice for now. They're under the gallery, titled: "Hugh's Cayley Collection" for everyone's viewing pleasure, and each car has a brief writeup. I'll get the video tour sorted out at some point, but for now that's what I've got. Unfortunately some of the pics are not that great, pointing out some deficiencies in my movie-making technique. Hope the group enjoys them regardless.

those pics looked fine to me, hugh! maybe not all of them were super-sharp, but they were large which is always good.

any chance you could get out there and add the peugeots to the registry? VINs, details, etc.? you have quite a collection out there, it would double the current number of entries we have....

when it's warm, i mean. just looking at the landscape in those pictures made me go get another cup of hot coffee. :)

andré

Seeing those pics in the new gallery made all the work adding it to the site well worth it!

And yes - hopefully we an add them to the registry with pictures and details as I've just realized how good it is to document parts cars with good details so that others can possibly benefit from them.

As of last night I think the registry here is 95% ready for a proper introduction to both Peugeot-L and the Facebook group. Any suggestions for the existing fields, or adding new fields are most welcome as this is a process in continual improvement.

Rabin

The new gallery is great, and I enjoyed putting that together. André, I will add the whole works to the registry, although I should verify the year on some of them. That will get done soon, I hope. I'm hoping for an early spring. :)

Have to say this process has been quite helpful in terms of assessing what I want to keep versus what I want to part out. Until now I was actually sort of unsure as to what I had up there - just because I had never sat down to make a comprehensive list. It's been a useful exercise. Now to set some goals and get started. In the meantime, if anyone here sees something they want to speak for, just let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

i recently installed an aftermarket stereo in my wife's sport trac. it had a decent-for-2001 factory system (CD and cassette!) but i just couldn't take not having my own iPhone-streamed music and, more importantly, handsfree calling on the days on which i drove it. this one is a sony, unlike the clarion i put in the VW.

PhotoFeb1472750AM_zps3d613bb4.jpg

and here it is at night. this is using one of the preset illumination colors (light green), which as you can see is slightly off from the dashboard lighting color -- the photo emphasizes this, it's not as bad in person. i'm ignoring the OCD part of my brain which wants me to go into the "thousands of colors" setup that this radio has. :)

PhotoFeb1462903AM_zps08c56eb4.jpg

also unlike the clarion, this unit uses the typical separate-microphone setup (the clarion has a built-in mic), i placed it in the headliner near the rearview mirror.

PhotoFeb1472744AM_zps37686e90.jpg

andré

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had my last final exam last night...econometrics B whooped my ass :(

Then I flew home. Now I'm back home in the SF bay till Friday evening.

Had an interview today, one tomorrow, and one Friday..then back to San Diego!

An hour ago I decided to take the cover off the 505 and go for a drive, but as a I was pulling out the driveway, I realized that it wasn't insured so I pulled back in haha.

Now to fiddle with the sunroof :rolleyes:

Sina