update on my GL

andrethx

Update -- i sent an email to the place i'm getting the carpet from, asking if i could get additional material to make myself matching mats. they said, sure, no problem, but did we mention that we have mats for $125/set of 4, color-matched to our carpet kits? no, they did not, they're going to send me more info on monday. looks like i'm not going to go into the carpet biz any time soon... :)

andré

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

latest purchase:

IMG_7315.jpg

xn6 dual-outlet manifold & accompanying downpipe. for whatever reason, my car has a single-outlet manifold. i think i mentioned this earlier, i will be replacing the exhaust system as part of getting the car ready to be re-smogged, might as well have it breath a little easier while i'm at it...

andré

Nice. I missed that note about them providing floormats. Price is right and you can probably specify the size. Do you have a ratty factory set to use as a template? I'd watch out for. So-called "patterns". I got a set from Jacues Abot when he was as W-H and the fitment was marginal at best.

I don't have an origional set. Maybe someone here has a set you can use.

Also, try to get the lion logo reproduced. Its not like they're going to be selling them retail.

Oh yeah, ask about a group price. I'm down for two sets if they are decent.

right now i have nothin'. my car didn't come with mats, and it looks like it never had them.

the guys who made my carpet set supposedly have the patterns to make mats. i figure if they can make a good carpet set, mats should be okay as well. if the carpet set is good, i'll take a chance on the mats. it doesn't seem like a good idea to do a group buy until we know what the mats look like, so i'll get a set and post pics, then everyone can decide.

they don't do any embroidery, not even initials. embroidery has to be done on the carpet before the backing is applied. i personally don't want anything embroidered, but i know it's fairly popular, and i imagine peugeot owners would be happy to have the option...that's another reason why i considered going into the mat business. :)

carpet set actually came in early this evening, much earlier than expected..but i have to work this weekend so the earliest i'll get a chance to look at it is monday or tuesday. :(

andré

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_7342.jpg

still have the original decals on them, in pretty good shape. need to get these cleaned up, get new tires. will probably go with michelin pilot exaltos in 205/60r15 size (i.e., stock turbo size). there's a $70 rebate on right now for michelins when you buy a complete set (good until 7/13/11) so they end up being quite reasonable. later, i'll see about new wheels & tires in a larger, more badass size...i just want to start enjoying my car!

the rim on the right has "save 4 bill" written on it, no idea who bill is but his loss is my gain. probably couldn't get his 505 started in time to pick these up. :D

andré

Michelin new protection plan is a good selling point for me.

30 day satisfaction guarantee

3 year flat tire changing assistance, if they can't put you spare on they'll tow it 150 miles or to the nearest Michelin dealer.

45K rated tire so you should get 40k out of them :D ...

Just have to remember to register them

Your seats, and rims look good B)

thanks for the kind words, everyone. and thanks for the info about the michelin protection plan, nick, i did not know that and it's good to know. i've always bought michelins, even before i got the peugeot bug but now it seems especially appropriate. :)

still need to finish up my fuel system, then need to get cracking with my new exhaust system so i can get my car smogged & fully legal. the "new" exhaust manifold is out being cleaned up, need to start getting the rest of the pieces (cat, muffler, resonator, etc.). there's a guy here on the westside who operates a welding business out of his truck, i've got good references for him from friends. i'm thinking i'll get all the parts and have him weld everything together. need to get him out here first so that i can make sure i get the right bits...

andré

You may have better luck with a temp permit so that you can drive to a known good muffler shop for a proper custom install. Exhaust systems are an art, and finding a good shop that can do a nice system, hung properly, and clearancing everything under the car is WELL worth the premium of a GOOD shop. This is especially true if you're wanting to get a stainless system done. (Unless the truck guy IS a muffler guy, and his truck has the bender and everything in it as well.)

That said - if you're planning on acquiring an OEM complete exhaust - then you should be able to install yourself as no welding is needed. Having a shop is still nice though as aftermarket systems like Bosal often need some massaging to fit best.

Rabin

Guest EUROTRASH

You know, i just pulled the plastic trim from within the rubber side mouldings out. I've seen threads (maybe here, maybe peugeot-l - can't remember) where others have sourced material to go in there. Wait! It was Fernando (Sukhoi).

Anyway, I left my mouldings naked and they look nice. You'll have to work like a mo-fo to get the "glue from space" that discolors and turns white out of the channel. But it's worth it.

I'll try to post pictures soon. Maybe this weekend.

Restoring the side-moldings is fairly easy, unless they're totally screwed up.

This is just one of the fender moldings but they all look the same. I removed the chrome stripes which I never liked, and like N9TE said... the glue is a bitch to remove, but glue remover works.

After that I used Armor All, the clear kind, NOT the white shit that ruins everything. (only on the top side of the moldings, not the side that will be glued to the car)

I think they turned out alright.

post-351-0-91919400-1309401793_thumb.jpg

post-351-0-33996000-1309401800_thumb.jpg

post-351-0-56016500-1309401806_thumb.jpg

...Unless the truck guy IS a muffler guy, and his truck has the bender and everything in it as well.

the guy i'm thinking of using specializes in car exhausts, the friends who referred me to him are porsche guys, who are about as fanatical as you would expect. :) an oe system would be nice, except that i need to replace the cat, and as far as i know the oe version is either nla or astronomically priced. there are CA-legal aftermarket cats, not sure if they are absolutely kosher for the smog test (the rules are complicated) but i'm reasonably sure that the smog technicians do not know what an oe peugeot cat looks like. :D all of the aftermarket cats use 2.25" tubing (or larger), and since the oe exhaust system uses 1.75" tubing, even if i went with an oe system i'm still back in welder-land when it comes to fitting the cat. that's actually the initial reason i considered replacing everything past the downtube (as we discussed in an earlier thread), freeing up the engine's breathing a bit is really more of an afterthought. it may not be entirely rational, but i'd like the exhaust system to look clean (as well as perform well and sound nice).

but i hear what you're saying -- somebody who is not skilled or knowledgable at building exhaust systems (i.e., me) is better off finding someone qualified & reputable and putting myself in their hands...

fernando: i guess like most everybody else, my side trims are in good shape except for the chrome strip. i've decided that i'll clean them up as you and koll suggest, and i'll be happy with them whether or not i can source a replacement chrome strip.

btw -- your photos are, as usual, stunning. are you a professional photographer, or just a gifted amateur?

andré

Guest EUROTRASH
fernando: i guess like most everybody else, my side trims are in good shape except for the chrome strip. i've decided that i'll clean them up as you and koll suggest, and i'll be happy with them whether or not i can source a replacement chrome strip.

btw -- your photos are, as usual, stunning. are you a professional photographer, or just a gifted amateur?

andré

Thanks André... photography is a hobby of mine, just an amateur.

I definitely think you should clean them up, aftermarket stuff just looks bad.

Remember to use the clear Armor All, not the white kind... and be patient with the glue remover, you'll see what I mean. :lol:

Good luck..

Glad to hear you're getting some good rubber to wrap those sexy STI 15's in.

I honestly cheaped out on tires throughout my ownership (BFG Touring T/A's), but then again, I went through rear tires every year. :D

Another bit of advice: Don't do too loud or "sporty" of an exhaust. The stock system is pretty nice, but trust me, daily driving my BMW for the last year with a full Magnaflow can be annoying at times.

Good luck, hope to see the 15's on soon, its going to look amazing.

did some searching on yelp and in the forums and found an exhaust shop not too far from ukits that does custom exhausts and is scrupulously honest & fair (if the reviews are to be believed). will ask ukit if he's heard of them, probably check them out in the next week or two. even if i don't end up using them i'm sure i'll learn something.

finally got the chance to open the big box my new carpet came in, it looks pretty nice. it's a cut carpet set, and the edges are nicely bound. they also included padding, which i was not expecting (you know, the automotive carpet padding that comes in sheets & is made from scraps of foam smashed together). still going to get some additional acoustical insulation as well, once i get that i will pull out the old carpeting.

i pulled the front seats & tracks out of my car and i found two cans of "smoke buster" air freshener along with many crumbled up mcdonald's straw wrappers and some petrified french fry pieces. apparently, the PO really liked mcdonald's french fries and weed (and who doesn't? :D ). now i know where that stale smell that my wife complains about came from...the car smells better already.

next step is to remove the back seat and old carpeting. next i'll insulate the floor and run new audio wire. the seats that i got from aaron have functional heaters, so i'll probably run wires for that as well even though i don't know if or when i'll ever hook that up (it doesn't get real cold here)...will post pics of course.

after that, i want to replace my door seals, which are ripped up. the door seals have a squishy foam part that seals the door connected to a plastic u-channel that conceals the body seam around the door jamb. you can see that latter part even after you've closed the door; my interior is blue so my u-channel is blue. a variety of people sell the channels (western hemispheres, etc.), but they only sell it in black which i guess refers to the plastic u-channel. expensive and non-matching!

there's really nothing special about the seal/trim assembly itself, it can be had quite reasonably by the foot from a number of trim houses...i'm thinking i'll get it that way and cut the pieces using my old seals as a template. i've been researching plastic paints with an eye towards re-finishing the dash, and it occurred to me that i could use the same techniques to paint the u-channel trim to get near-oem results. i'll let you guys know how it comes out.

andré

• 2 weeks later...

well, when i got my alloys i did not get new lug nuts! i am getting some through the usual channels, but right now i have no way to bolt the darn wheels onto my car (currently have steelies, different lug nuts). will certainly post updated pics when i get the wheels on...

andré

well, when i got my alloys i did not get new lug nuts! i am getting some through the usual channels, but right now i have no way to bolt the darn wheels onto my car (currently have steelies, different lug nuts). will certainly post updated pics when i get the wheels on...

andré

Although not quite perfect, I have the alloy lug nuts!

Maybe during your visit I can slip you sixteen or so!

okay, due to popular demand, i have taken a few pictures of my car with the new wheels & tires. here you go:

IMG_7368.jpg

IMG_7366.jpg

IMG_7367.jpg

a few thoughts about my car's appearance:

1) center caps are off until i have time to clean the wheels properly. i have two complete sets of center caps, will go through them & use the best ones

2) passenger side door mirror is off -- that's the one that was sort of hanging. thinking i might be able to repair it, if not, have newer set from aaron

3) my car rides quite high -- like it's ready for paris-dakar or something. really want to get turbo springs to get a lower stance

4) you can really see how badly my paint is oxidized; at least the windows are clean for a change!

still don't have proper lug nuts, these are some cone-taper lug nuts i had. had to take off steel wheels b/c aaron is getting them (he's selling his late alloys). will not be moving the car at all until i get the proper lug nuts, hopefully by next week...

have a porter-cable 7424xp orbital polisher on order (thanks to koll, detailingbliss.com is now one of my favorite sites!). still planning to paint the car, but i figure i can practice with the polisher while the paint still sucks. that way, if i burn through the crappy paint it won't be a disaster.

what time i've been able to find, i have been working on the interior and the fuel lines. have my exam next week so will not be doing to much until after then.

andré

Holy smokes... That sucker is SKY high! You best upgrade those new tires to some 10.5x31x15 off road tires and call it an allroad edition. :)

Kidding aside - I assume the interior is still somewhat gutted? Has the car moved since you jacked it up and changed the tires? If you don't move the car the suspension won't settle properly. It needs to move so the tires find their proper track width. (When you set the car down, the tires land with positive camber and move to the proper camber when you move the car.)

Only time I've seen a car sit that high was when we had the sucker gutted to the unibody inside. If you have your interior in place and nothing is missing, and the suspension is settled - then wow - it really is the highest riding 505 I've seen.

Rabin

ah -- the interior is fairly stripped, and there are many parts taken off of the car; for example, the fuel tank is out again right now (i can remove it in under 10 minutes!). and the tires are cockeyed from the change, that probably contributes to the high-riding appearance. it'll be interesting to see what it looks like when the car is in a more normal state.

in other matters, i mentioned that i got a dual outlet manifold & accompanying downpipe from ukit. his theory was that some PO had replaced those parts with single-outlet pieces from an earlier model, probably a 504. i looked through the parts list & couldn't find a single-outlet manifold for an xn6 505, so maybe ukit is right. in any event, just got the manifold back from being ceramic coated. here are some before & after pics;

IMG_7316.jpg

IMG_7317.jpg

IMG_7370.jpg

IMG_7369.jpg

had it done by a nearby jet hot guy. probably overkill, but it was something i wanted to check out and i have to say, i enjoyed the process. the guy works out of the beverly hills ducati place, so the drop-off and pick-up trips were fun for window-shopping, as well. apparently, the ducati guys around here have their exhausts done in black (& sometimes wrapped as well), i was the first silver coating the guy had done in a while. think it turned out pretty nice...

andré