Blackie

Jayden M

53 minutes ago, Bean said:

Axle bearing race picture?

I new I was forgetting something, I'll have to take the pics tomorrow.

54 minutes ago, Bean said:

think I’d try swapping the Torsen center section into a different diff.

I would do that except I would lose the 3.89 stock ratio. I only have 4.11 and 3.46 ratios laying around that I know still work properly. The 4.11 I have is an LSD and I would just use that instead of risking something not being compatible when trying to use the center Torsen bits. Though a 4.11 Torsen diff would probably be sweet for better acceleration in this car.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@Bean

Here are the pictures of the bearing races. Sorry it took so long I got distracted by the Racecar, which I have very good progress with.

PS I do not know how to set I think the preload so the ring and pinion gear would sit together right when I swap the torsen unit into another diff. Plus I want to retain the 3.89 stock ratio.

If I were to send you a torsen do you think you could get it repaired and retain 3.89? I could provide a 2nd torsen for you to keep as a payment :)

IMG_7616.JPG

IMG_7615.JPG

IMG_7614.JPG

IMG_7613.JPG

IMG_7612.JPG

IMG_7611.JPG

Mike said it - bearings would’ve definitely made noise and are totally shot.

If axle bearings are shot my guess is the pinion bearings are shot as well.  Do you see any numbers on the bearings?  Can you include if so?

Are you sure about the axle ratio?  I thought the Torsen diffs were 3.46 - does yours have the code plate on them or have you counted gear teeth?

Pics of the teeth aren’t detailed enough for me to see if the gears are worn - I do see metal folded over the edge, and the gear profile looks like they may be worn, but it could be the lighting or reflection.

Let me see if I have the FSM for the diff - I’m not sure if the axle bearings are shimmed, or if the pinion gear would be the only adjustment.

I do have tools for measuring, but I think those gears are shot.  Bearings would be felt as roughness when turning but wouldn’t /shouldn’t bind and lock up - any stiffness rotation or locking would be gear engagement - but I would have expected you to see more metal in the case when you opened it.  (Or the oil looking like metal flake paint)

Rabin

• 2 months later...
On 7/19/2023 at 9:38 AM, Bean said:

Do you see any numbers on the bearings?  Can you include if so?

Hey Rabin, sorry to get back to you after so long. I ended up putting Blackies original Torsen differential in the car to try it out, and it is sooooo much more quite. I have been enjoying the noise reduction but its not perfect and it has been getting louder over the past 2 months I have had it in (and I have not driven the car much). So I know I need a future plan for a differential since this one is also on its way out.

I did take a look at the bearings and its hard to make out but I believe it says TIMKEN LM603011. Id like to keep a torsen in this car if possible.

EDIT: When I drained the fluid of the spare cars differential that I used for a few years it was fuuuulll of metal flakes in it. After flushing the flakes out and using the differential for a few more weeks I drained the fluid again and saw no metal flakes.