Donations - Raising money for site upgrades...

webmaster

The reason for this posting is to raise awareness for some upcoming improvements to the website.  Until now, the site has been funded entirely myself, and I'm hoping that by setting up a PayPal donation link, contributions from members will allow me to improve the site.  I would prefer to keep this site open to all, and a free resource for everyone, but there is now a need to rely on members to contribute what they can financially.  :)

Without further adieu, I have set up a donation link so that it is possible to contribute via Paypal towards our planned updates. 

PayPal DONATIONS

Note:  I have been asked about suggested donation amounts, and I think $10 - $25 and we will achieve our goals in no time at all.

Site upgrade detail plans:

Stage 1:  $175 - The purchase of IPS Suite Core ($100) +  IP.Board ($75)

This will allow www.505turbo.com to be on its own license, which will make it possible to get support for upgrades and help integrating the new modules.

Stage 2:  $65 - IP.Gallery

Any pictures in the forums to be hosted in the gallery.  Having pictures hosted anywhere else usually means broken links and lost info if those pictures are ever deleted.

Stage 3:  $50 - IP.Content

Allows us to bring back the previous content, and post new content as time goes by.  Things like member profiles and other articles.

Stage 4:  $39 - (M34) Garage System 3.2.2

A much needed resource to register and document our cars, and a big step towards ensuring proper values are verifiable by 3rd parties (IE Insurance companies)

I have many ideas on expanding 505turbo.com's usefulness to the members, and welcome any member ideas so that we can grow the site to encompass all Peugeot models.

Thank you!

Rabin Rutten-James

Webmaster

Thanks very much for the donations so far.

I just sent out my first ever mass e-mail to all the members of the site, so my apologies to you guys for including you in the mass mail. :D There were 900 recipients, and with three donations we're almost halfway to Stage 1 - which is pretty darn good for the first day. :)

Rabin

Very happy to report that in just 4 short days we have met our "stage 4" donation goal!

Stages 1-3 have been just purchased, and once payment is approved I will work with IPS on transferring the forum to the new license. As soon as that is done, I will need to start scheduling the updates and upgrades with IPS support.

After the new modules are in place I will purchase and install the garage module so that we can start working on a proper registry for our cars.

This is quite exciting, and I can't wait to see this come together. :D

Rabin

Webmaster

Just a quick update - It's 3 am and I blundered through upgrading the existing forum and calendar modules to the latest greatest version. The installs of the gallery, content manager, and the free chat module were more than I wanted to tackle, so I put in a service request despite the advisory that the wait was up to 8 days long! (The wait warning was why I did the upgrade myself)

So hopefully they are able to upgrade it sooner as I can't wait to check out the new feature sets. It'll be a fair bit of work getting stuff in place, and then I / we can start repopulating content back into the site. If any of you have any ideas, or want to contribute any content or content ideas feel free to post up in the feedback section.

Once that's done I'll purchase and install the vehicle registry module. :D

Rabin

Webmaster

BOOM! Support has already installed the rest of the applications for me...

Check out the new Pages, Gallery, and the Chat feature.

It's going to be another late night as I'd like to repopulate some of the old albums. If there any issues or questions, please use the feedback section.

Thanks!

Rabin

Thanks Jeff!

I've neglected the site too long, and these upgrades were long overdue. Not that my interest waned, but like my car projects finding the time was tough, as well as the needed capital to make it all happen was hard to swing myself.

The generosity of the members has not only made the upgrades possible, but seriously motivated me to get these upgrades in place. Doing the site is very much a labour of love, and I genuinely enjoy the online camaraderie of this group.

I still have a bunch of noodling to do on the site, and there is much to learn to make the site a decent place to spend some free time. Now I just have to learn how to pipe in RSS feeds so that it auto populates Peugeot articles, and I'd like to have eBay searches show up as well. (That can wait until the functional stuff is done though!). This morning I broke two modules, so mostly just a steep but enjoyable learning curve.

Rabin

Little update on the donation drive: We had 13 contributors, for a total donated of $387.72. Huge thanks to all who donated!

Funds:

• After purchasing the licenses for the modules, I currently have $60.72 remaining.

Work done:

• Purchased the Community suite which includes the IPB software and transferred site to it.
  • Upgraded the site to the latest release 3.4.6
  • Support installed the IP.Content (Home tab), and the new Gallery.
  • Uploaded a bunch of pictures up from the old gallery.
  • Purchased and installed the new Garage System (Basis for our own Peugeot registry)

Work in Progress"

• Working with the Garage System vendor to transform the base templates and design into a proper vehicle registry system for our membership to record and keep track of cars.

Work to do:

• I would really like to research and install a fresh new "skin" to tie all these new additions into a fresh new look for the site. Once the site is configured and working as envisioned, that will be the time to start looking at options to give the site a nice new look.

Reminder: Site operating costs are now ~$200/year between license renewal fees, and hosting costs - so donations are still very much welcome. If you haven't donated - please consider giving even a small amount as it all adds up!

Rabin

• 2 months later...

Hi Savo,

I don't think I can change that - but I'll see what I can find.

If I can't change it - if you scroll to the bottom of the page you'll see an option to change the theme. I did up a couple for fun to see what was possible - and those are darker for sure.

Rabin