'89 505 V6 auto: Need advice on value and.....

whether or not to fix up or sell as is. Either way, I need to sell it. It needs some definite work, but it may wind up sitting a good while longer before I have time for that. I really need to let it go to a new home ASAP. A Pug list member recommended I come here and ask for the advice.

Needs new front struts or rebuilt, needs the wiring loom repaired from steering column to engine/headlights/etc. It caught fire a couple years ago, so I parked it. At the time, nothing else was damaged; headlights worked, just not sure on the heater. Kinda scared to try. It caught fire when I turned the heater on while the headlights were on. Jump to present day and now it won't start. The key won't activate the fuel pump and the pump DOES work. Otherwise, the engine turns over fine. Maybe some crucial wires were compromise in the fire and have now corroded? Don't know. This non start issue is only recent. I've kept it started about every month since I parked it.

My dilemma is if I should really make the time to fix it all up so it does run....if it's worth it. I mean, if I could really get that much more for it running considering everything else. Interior's in good shape, but the body needs some rust treatment and the floor pan is dinged up from rough roads. As well, the sun roof leaks despite having cleared the drain tubes. Maybe a tube kinked up during reinstall....not sure. I've simply run out of time and money to do much else with this baby unless it'd really be worth it. Otherwise, I'll just sell it to the highest bidder even if it's a salvage yard......which I really, really, really do not want to do. Sweet car! Here's some pics:

post-439-0-12501100-1383592543_thumb.jpg

post-439-0-56924900-1383592705_thumb.jpg

post-439-0-35589700-1383592751_thumb.jpg

post-439-0-83139100-1383592804_thumb.jpg

post-439-0-56038600-1383592843_thumb.jpg

post-439-0-39982100-1383592872_thumb.jpg

post-439-0-49242700-1383592937_thumb.jpg

I have more and can take more pics, if need be. Also, I have replacement bumpers, trim, and rear spoiler for this car for sale. I'll need to get some pics of all that, but price advise is also requested.

Thank you kindly in advance!

Matthew

Hi Matt,

Thanks for posting the pictures! This makes it much easier to see what you have to work with...

My opinion: I think you should part it out. The car needs an awful lot of work, and anyone with the skills set deep enough will know how much money it needs.

That said - I think you can make your $$ target parting the car out if you can figure out how to best ship items out. Subaru guys will pay decent $$ for the rims and lugs, someone with toasted red leather might prefer to swap in the velour, and I would love to find a way to get some of the 89 specific body parts - specifically I see it has the moulding between the rear bumper and quarter panel on the driver side. If it has the passenger side, and good park lights, I'd be up for those. Euro lights usually sell well too.

Rabin

Rabin...

Well, I was kind of afraid of that. I mean parting out might be kinda slow going with the seasonal weather....ie, working around the rain and cold. OTOH, it's easier than trying to troubleshoot and fix something. So, that would be a relief.

So, okay......I'll part it out. But, I don't have any idea what would be fair prices for me or a prospective buyer. I could use advice on that. Maybe just type in google key words and see what parts sell for....that sorta thing? Plus, I'll need some help identifying what parts in question are in some cases. The moulding you ask of.....if it's what I believe you're referring to, I believe I also have that as a new spare part bought by the original owner before me and then given to me with the exchange of the vehicle.

ahing6....

I don't have any pics of the bumpers, yet, but once it's stops raining I can get them.

Parts costs is really what people are willing to pay for them, so you won't be able for crazy prices and make a fortune, but you can likely sell way more parts if the prices are reasonable and make more money overall. And yes - for the most part removing parts is quite easy, just make sure you know how to remove the parts, and if you're not sure ask as you don't want to break parts on removal...

The other key part of doing this is figuring out the cheapest shipping method you can. A lot of the sought after stuff is big and heavy like the bumpers and such, so having a good shipping option is great. If we can figure out shipping, I'd consider bigger items like the rear bumper assembly - but for the most part I want the rear bumper trim pieces, and the park lights in both bumpers if in good shape.

Things like the euro lights should be $2-300 if in good shape, the rear tail lights and center panel might interest others (sell them with the wiring connectors), and you may even find someone interested in some of the red interior parts. Rims should be saleable as well, as there are Subaru guys often looking for them as they fit old Subaru's that used 4x140 pattern as well. So in good shape you should be able to get at least $300+ shipping for them I would think.

Rabin

Okay, Rabin. I've started looking into shipping options and costs. I can arrange smaller packages to be shipped from where I work in the neighboring city and large ones....probably...from the nearby auto/body shop near my home. It's like a mile away. I can't do any of this from my home since we're out in the sticks without any real identifiable address....ie, no real road signs or mail boxes. We have a PO Box and only county road signs where we live. Plus, the kicker is mail trucks negotiating our road. Bigs hills equal stuck trucks....hehehe. I laugh everytime a Fed Ex van is unlucky enough to get lost and then dumb enough to come down our way.

Anyway, it's been dumping rain all day. Looks like it's going to continue through tomorrow, too. May not be until Friday I can get can any pics taken for what you gentlemen have asked. Thursday we'll be gone a better part of the day acquiring donated critter food. Then, there's the unloading once we get it home. It'll be dark by the time I'm done with that. Yadda yadda yadda.....

Onward through the fog!

Well, my apologies, guys. Pics didn't happen today. Still trying to fix my wife's Buick wagon...still don't know what the problem is. As well, my chainsaw gave me some troubles that had to be dealt with so we could stay warm. Since I'll be working in the neighboring town all weekend, I'll have to get the pics Monday.

HA! Thanks!

Actually, it's been a good car overall. Almost 100k and this is really the first problem it's had. So, not bad. It's a '91 model before things got wackier with overly complex computerized systems. Seems the problem is lack of voltage to the ignition control module. Only about .2v getting to it with the key on/engine off. Not sure, but I suspect the ignition switch.

Right. So it seems I may have "fixed" my wife's wagon. With the simple flip of a switch I'm now getting 12v's once again to the IG module. Yep.....that's right. Dorks are us. The alarm system I thought I'd disabled years ago.....and kinda forgot was there.....apparently cuts off the ignition. This would explain why when it would start it seemed to "time out" rather predictably and then not start again until after a period of wait. I know nothing about alarm systems other than we don't really need one and they can be rather annoying. Nevertheless, I can now move on to other things on the big, fat, hairy, scary to do list that is my existence.....lol!

Okay, gents. I'll be in touch with requested stuff very soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Sir

Wow!! A very rare 505 S V6, an 1989 model (unfoundable!!) with red velvet Bach. If I have good memory, Billbranch has restored the same as yours, that does it mean there 2 left in USA!!!

Nobody wants to fix it? Personaly it would be a mistake to part out this unusual 505.

In my country in France, I have restored a 505Turbo 1985 which was more faded than these one. Of course, it cost me several thousand euros. But the pleasure is to say that my beautiful 505 is less common than a BMW Z8.

Now a 505V6 in excellent condition worth about 3500 euros in France. Lots of people prefers to keep them on box such as bottle of wine. The crisis time where we live, is not the moment for sale.

If I was you I give the preference for a buyer who wants to fix it.

Parting out is a mistake because this car is unusual. It's a waste of time too, because you have to do the shipping of parts, the risk to don't break them (during shipping or durintg parting out), and interminable prices discussions with brook buyers.

Sad that you have to sell this car, however if you want to fix and to restore it, I can help you. With my money I have already invested in parts rebuilt for 505. As far as 1989 bumper concerned, they're also available in Argentina, because after its left in USA in 1991, the 1992 argentinian 505 range were on sale with US bumper to its discontinued line in 1995.

In France, my new project is to restore in stock condition a damaged 505GTI 1987 stored, a friend car who lives in Bruxelles.

Even in Europe you have crazy man who love to keep alive this lovable and nostalgic Peugeot.

Yours Sincerely Etienne

It's a sad predicament Etienne as the sheer size of North America, and the low enthusiast numbers mean that you sometimes have cars that are worthy cars to repair - but the cost of getting the car is often more than the car itself.

Sad fact is that many times parting out the car is the only solution before the car is recycled. If not parted then valuable parts that can help other owners keep their cars on the road.

I do hope someone can save the car, but failing that my hope is that it can be parted out.

Rabin

Like Etienne said, lots of people keep in a box. For example, if I can find a Fridge that I can park in mine for the next 2 years, so that everything remains in tack, I would do so, so that I can get another 505 V6 to engine while my Baby, as in you can see in my signature, remains as clean as it is today whenever I want to use it. A very rare 170 hp ZN3J Lion!

About 3 persons in Nigeria have contacted me, asking me to help them track a 505 V6 as good as mine when they are ready, especially the Euro specs.

If this 505 V6 you want to part out is in Nigeria, they would have bought it off your hand before now. Unfortunately, am a "stick" freak. So, the auto tranny puts me off.

Ikenna

Dear Sir

Wow!! A very rare 505 S V6, an 1989 model (unfoundable!!) with red velvet Bach. If I have good memory, Billbranch has restored the same as yours, that does it mean there 2 left in USA!!!

Ah yeah I have another 89' ZN3J with red velvet bach in the states....
And the early Non ABS front strut rebuild kits work on ABS cars.

If I understand well, There is only three 1989 505 S V6 left in USA in 2013. It's insignificant!!!

505V6 S 1989 is a survivor in your country. Mercedes convertible are more commonplace and ordinary in your country.

For your information, only 10005 ex of 505 ZN3J made (in Sochaux) from 1986 to 1989. In my country (France) only 2049 models sold between 1986 to 1989 (end of sales in France). However sales records mentioned that 3 models were sold in 1990!!! Last in stock I think.

V6 models are very rare in France. To heavy taxed, I suppose that v6 models are more popular in US than in France.

As far as 505Turbo concerned, 22580 models produced in Sochaux from 1982 to 1990 (saloon). In France, i don't have exactly sales figures but more than 7000 were sold from 1983 to 1988. The Estate had never been sold in France. Only marketed for Canada and USA.

Chrysler engine was made in Poissy plant, where was made the Talbot Tagora (sister car of 505, and same engine without turbo too).

Matthew:

I concur with most of what's been generally said here, and this car should definitely not go to the wreckers. However, if the option of parting out would involve too much time and trouble I think you might very well be able to sell it intact as a project to the right person. As is, what sort of price would you need to get for the car?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...