Pike's Peak 2013! 505Turbo.com official car meet...

Fire is on high though - with Peugeot racing at Pike's Peak this year - my goal is to spectate the event driving there and back in the 89' if all goes well. :D

Rabin

I'm trying to play my cards right to spectate as well too. B)

If business turns out better and start making money instead of hemerging it during Jan- until last week picked up, and if the Danielson and VEMS works without much trouble. My father would get Peter Paine to talk to Peugeot. Most likely we could be a part of Team Peugeot Sport and be a part of hanging out with the crew/dinners.... Also would have to write a letter to Pikes Peak to try and squeeze us in. This would be a wet dream happen, so highly unlikely.
Been looking at flights to Denver and back, there running $350 round trip, Thursday to Monday.

If the planets align and you guys compete then count me in for crew. If you make it out to spectate - we should make some plans and spectate together at least... I'd like to make it down for fanfest as well on the 28th, but that might be a bit much.

Currently no idea on the logisitics, I just know I need to be there. 505 needs a ton of work however, and after today I may have to add a head swap and bottom end refresh / reseal to the list if I want to be reliable. (Signs of cracking / cracked head getting more prominent)

Rabin

Ahh my god :( If you guys make it out, I'll sure be jealous!

@Nick - don't be a sissy, didn't you used to drive back and fourth to Tahoe? :D

@Rabin - I know you've gotta have at least one working Peugeot (it's okay if you don't, I think a lot of us don't) :D

I wanna see a photo op of your 505's next to this t16 rally beast) :)

Sina

A working Pug isn't the hard part - showing up in a freshly painted 89' 505 turbo with 17x7.5" rims and big brakes so I can go up and down the hill as many times as I can chasing / leading Marc in his 205 is the hard part... :D

Practice days are usually early in the morning, and then the drivers drive the hilll as many times as they can to learn the course in street cars. Stig ran the course all day to get familiar with it, so hoping we can attract some team attention and maybe get to see the 208 up close.

I'm also hoping to have some www.505turbo.com gear done up, and I'll be wearing all my Peugeot logo wear as well, and I'll have to get a Peugeot Sport flag too of course... :D

Getting really stoked for the race now!

Rabin

BTW - If the 89 isn't ready I'll drive down my white 504 with Peugeot Sport colours Tremclad'd on for a hasty make over to attract some attention.

It'll be stupid slow, but stick out nicely from the crowds of cars.

Rabin

A working Pug isn't the hard part - showing up in a freshly painted 89' 505 turbo with 17x7.5" rims and big brakes so I can go up and down the hill as many times as I can chasing / leading Marc in his 205 is the hard part... :D

Practice days are usually early in the morning, and then the drivers drive the hilll as many times as they can to learn the course in street cars. Stig ran the course all day to get familiar with it, so hoping we can attract some team attention and maybe get to see the 208 up close.

I'm also hoping to have some www.505turbo.com gear done up, and I'll be wearing all my Peugeot logo wear as well, and I'll have to get a Peugeot Sport flag too of course... :D

Getting really stoked for the race now!

Rabin

You're killin me Rabin... after the event, you should keep on driving southwest and come to California! Beers on me. Gotta see your car.

BTW - when you do get on the 505turbo gear, I'm going to have to take you up on that as well!

Sina

• 2 weeks later...

Peter Paine just stopped in with the 408. He just came back from France. Peugeot's sales are down 10% which is sort of better than the year before, being @ 14%. The company is very worried that president of the company will lose control.
Peter is contacting a source in the company for my father to have an invite to the teams banquets.

More importantly - Was there any mention of the loyal and die hard enthusiasts making the trip to PPHIC getting any love too? :)

Peugeot has a tremendous opportunity in this return to PPIHC, and from all accounts - their hook up with Red Bull will ensure this gets marketed PROPERLY world wide. I have never seen this much Peugeot buzz in YEARS...

What will make or break Peugeot is how they move this momentum into being a positive sales tool for the whole corporation. They were KINGS of WRC for years, yet the only car they sold was the 200 examples necessary for homogolation. Subaru sold the dream to anyone that wanted it - and they're in great shape. In the worst of the economic crisis - Subaru sales slowed - but they never sold less than the previous year.

Thankfully the 205 was a legendary car and it stood on it's own merits - but they still need to figure out how to capitalize on their history - while still making sure the new 208 is a top tier hot hatch. It has to be COOL to own a Peugeot again or they'll get sunk.

Rabin

It would be terrible to see Peugeot go down the same route as other makes such as Saab. They need to start learning a thing or two about German business strategy - not to sound ignorant, but the French have a lot to learn from the Germans in business and marketing strategy. While PSA keeps on posting downward projections, manufacturers such as BMW consistently report record sales year after year.

I agree with you Rabin, Peugeot really has the opportunity to save itself from its downward spiral, and it needs to follow others such as Fiat and revisit the North American market. Their cars are hotter than ever before (not just my opinion, but the opinion of the masses). Unlike several years ago, I actually have friends who like Peugeots, which I think says a lot, given that it's pretty much the target of their sales (hatch/compact sector) and it's the area where they will really make their earnings. It's unfortunate, but at the end of the day, us brand loyalists with 20+ year old Peugeots really don't matter in their eyes.

Most of the cars I see here around San Diego with Mexican registrations are Renaults, Seats, Peugeots, and VW's. They are hot in Central and Latin America, and can be just the same here in the States and Canada.

Sina

Biggest issue is that Peugeot moved down market and now they compete with very low margin economy cars, and they've lost a lot of the cache that they used to have. 504's used to be called the French Mercedes Benz, and the 505 would be compared to Volvo's and BMW's. They moved away from their roots and their strengths, and tried to be successful in the lower range high volume markets.

Kicker is that Korean car makers redefined the lower segment and pretty much kicking everyone's butt - but they're no threat to the established German makers as they're just not in the same market.

Peugeot has the potential for some world beater cars, but they need to either move up market, and ideally create their own niche market with cars generating significant demand, or come out with something that is a class leader in a higher market.

They also totally miss the point of "Win on Sunday - Sell on Monday" - and with the successes they had in WRC, LeMan's, and PPIHC - there's no excuse for them to have really capitalized on that with selling cars in key markets that reflected that pedigree.

I'm sure they have to sell in North America to have a chance at surviving, but North America will also happily nail the coffin shut if they don't come here with products that dominate or at least compete in their markets.

Rabin

• 3 weeks later...