What did you do today?

JunktionFET

That flowchart could easily be changed to Volvo V70R or even Peugeot ownership - pretty much bang on!

Interesting looking at the drive by wire throttle body as I assumed it'd still have an idle control circuit or even an ICV, but it looks like it's all done with the throttle. Both Volvo's are DBW, but I've only replaced the one in the 00R.

Rabin

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

got an owner' manual for the passat (it came without one). for the passat, the wagon and the sedan have separate owner's manuals so i had to wait a few weeks for the right one (2004 wagon) to pop up on ebay; fortunately, when it did it was very reasonably priced (US$20, free shipping). also got a haynes manual today at the auto parts store:

Photo%20Aug%2022%209%2041%2007%20AM_zpsi

Photo%20Aug%2022%203%2006%2032%20PM_zps8

one of the things on this car that needed attention was the radio antenna. the mast is cracked and the gasket under the base was missing. replacing the mast will come later, but i got a replacement gasket for the base so i installed it today.

Photo%20Aug%2022%2010%2027%2019%20AM_zps

Photo%20Aug%2022%202%2013%2016%20PM_zpsb

Photo%20Aug%2022%202%2013%2046%20PM_zpsu

Photo%20Aug%2022%202%2037%2034%20PM_zpsm

i also washed the car this morning:

Photo%20Aug%2022%2010%2026%2053%20AM_zps

Photo%20Aug%2022%2010%2027%2012%20AM_zps

the new throttle body came in last night so i replaced it today; i changed the gasket as well. took about 30 minutes

IMG_0298_zps8idwgtj3.jpg

IMG_0299_zpspwifbkwe.jpg

IMG_0300_zpsxkzlvwpt.jpg

the engine runs great now, the idle is much smoother. still not a super-quiet power plant, but much better than before.

i also got some fasteners for the engine cover so i replaced the one that was missing. still need a VW emblem for the cover (missing), a new dipstick (plastic top is cracked from engine heat) and a new cover for the power steering reservoir (cracked). each costs about US$20.

IMG_0297_zpswawu1s1u.jpg

i don't know if i mentioned it, but the spare tire was dry-rotted on the steel rim so i got a replacement tire fitted; the emergency jack was not missing as i had thought, but tucked into a compartment on the side of the rear cargo area (along with a small factory toolkit). i got the blanks for the keys so i'll be getting the new keys made this week sometime.

andré

got new keys made for the passat yesterday. they keys are chipped, so it is necessary to "teach" the ecu the codes for the new keys. to do this, you need the serial number for the instrument cluster -- with that information, you can use the VAG-COM to program in the new keys. the VAG-COM software (which i have) won't give you this serial number, you need a separate piece of software (which i don't have) to do this. since i would still have to get the keys cut -- something i can't do myself -- i decided to let a professional do it.

vw-audi keys actually split apart into two sections; the section with the key blade also contains the chip. the other part contains the remote functions, and anyone can program that, you don't need any special devices or software...you *do* need to have two keys to program the remote, though, so i ordered two key blanks (the part with the key and the chip) so i could have two full keys plus the valet key. i will order the remote parts later.

Photo%20Aug%2026%208%2015%2025%20AM_zpsn

Photo%20Aug%2026%208%2015%2036%20AM_zpsk

i went to the locksmith recommended by the place i bought the passat from; they said they couldn't do it but they sent me to a lock shop that was closer to my house. they said could do it, but i wasn't sure how....the shop looked very old-school, and the two columbian guys running it looked to be at least 70 years old. as it turns out, the guy who handled the electronic stuff was a much younger guy who returned from lunch about 10 minutes after i got there; he did everything out of a locksmith's van, so we did it all in the parking lot. all told, it took about 45 minutes. the device he used to cut the keys was especially cool, it was run by a laptop like a cnc device; you can see it in these pictures -- the device next to the laptop is the one he used to read the instrument cluster code and program the new keys into the ecu:

Photo%20Aug%2025%201%2038%2043%20PM_zpso

Photo%20Aug%2025%201%2036%2038%20PM_zps5

if you have sharp eyes, you can see my peugeot keys on the keyring in the second photo. :)

the key blanks cost about US$35/apiece and these guys charged me US$120 (for a lot of work). by the time i buy the two remotes for the keys, it'll have cost me about US$320...however, it would have been about US$650 for all of this at the dealership.

andré

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i got my wife a tonneau cover for her truck, and i finally found the time to work on it today. it's the factory unit that was available for her ford explorer sport trac:

Photo%20Dec%2023%203%2047%2034%20PM_zpsd

i got this one used from a guy on craigslist a while back. good condition used ones usually go for US$300-$500, this one was $100. however, once i got the four mounting brackets for the bed ($125), a new lock to replace the one that was missing ($50), re-keying for the two locks ($45) and replaced the worn-out latch cables ($120), my "bargain" was back in the expected price range. my wife is very happy, now she has a giant locking trunk on her truck when she needs it.

yes, that is merde d'oiseaux on the side of the truck; it's been cold here plus i've been super busy with work so no time to wash it...not to mention we are still in a drought until the el niño actually shows up, and maybe even after that... :(

andré

I replaced the tires on my Cressida.  

2005-2008_BMW_320i_(E90)_sedan_(2011-07-

And everything attached to them.  Picked up a E90 (2008 328i).  (looks like above car)

Man, these cars kick butt!  I got a slushbox as traffic in Seattle-land is horrific.  I've read up on the ZF units are they are generally considered good.  The car is just soooo awesome.  They're everything a 505 should have been had PSA kept in the game.  Drives so well. Very refined.  Hopefully I can take a number of ideas on what makes this car great and apply those principles to my remaining 505.

Strange crap with new(er) cars.

• No dip stick
  • TPS
  • Start-Stop button
  • You (almost certainly the dealer) have to "register" and "code" the a new battery to the car so it can have a charging profile

Things they nailed with this car:

• Handling
  • engine (brilliant N51 inline six makes me forget about Toyota sixes)
  • HVAC (perfect)
  • Seats (Peugeot quality - and heated)

I've got to do a few things (new battery, couple of fobs, remove the go-fast tint).  Nothing fancy like the go-directly-to-jail twin turbos (335I), "angle eyes" or other things.  I'm a big fan of keeping things stock.  So, no carbon fiber wraps, H&R springs, "cold air" bs, neon kit, neon yellow dipped 22" rims will ever touch this car.

Hope others have equally rewarding things to report soon!

Really rough roads:  If you don't encounter them it's a moot point, but the 328 was not even close to the 505.  I did a crazy bad road back to back 328/505 and the 505 killed it - felt like different roads...

You know, it's been so long since I drove a 505 with spirit on a road that it'd hard to remember.  You might be right.  This year I'm going to get a lot sorted out with the 505.  I think my headgasket job worked, but I'm gonna get the picoscope and get this thing running as good as I can.  

I know you mentioned keeping it stock, but if you get tempted - check out the 2 stage intake manifold upgrade from the 06' 330i engines.  Pretty sure Turner motorsport had a package, but it was easy to duplicate.  (My buddy had an 09 328 xdrive 6sp as well that I did a bunch of research on).  Nice power bump and it uses all oem parts so it still fits your criteria sorta... :)

I don't doubt gains could be made.  I'm already thinking on how nice it would be to have a N51 engine in the 505...  Seriously, our cars days are numbered - especially the turbos.

The other big improvement on my buddy's car was to lose the shitty run flat tires, and go with good regular tires.  Run flats have such hard sidewalls that it really makes the car worse for it.  (Google "BMW cupping run flat")  At the time I suggested Conti DW's and the car went from pretty good to ridiculously good.  I'd say Michelin AS3's these days though - summer tire on both my R's too...

Yep, those didn't make it this far.

3 hours ago, N9TE said:

I've got to do a few things (new battery, couple of fobs, remove the go-fast tint).  Nothing fancy like the go-directly-to-jail twin turbos (335I), "angle eyes" or other things.  I'm a big fan of keeping things stock.  So, no carbon fiber wraps, H&R springs, "cold air" bs, neon kit, neon yellow dipped 22" rims will ever touch this car.

most bmws are pretty nicely designed and equipped, i imagine there are lots of them in Seattle (as there are here, in LA) so you probably see as many less-than-appealingly modded ones as i do. so i'm with you on this. i like bmws a lot, they seem even more appealing to me now that the d-bag crowd has mostly moved on to audis (at least here in socal). in a couple of years when i get my next project car, I'm considering an e36 convertible.

very nice! i remember the furor when the n54 engine came out without a dipstick, there's some sort of graphic display for the oil level, correct? please post more pics when you have the opportunity.

one of my high school friend's parents had a cressida, it was the mid-80s one (x70?), basically the first one that was a a four-door supra. it was a great car.

andré

6 minutes ago, Bean said:

Really rough roads:  If you don't encounter them it's a moot point, but the 328 was not even close to the 505.  I did a crazy bad road back to back 328/505 and the 505 killed it - felt like different roads...

back roads? koll is a sophisticated urbanite, i can't see him doing back roads....  :)

Bad roads Andre - as in very rough pavement.  E90's are fantastic back road cars as long as it doesn't get tight and technical - then the weight starts showing through. 

One more suggestion for Koll are thw wheels - BMW has some fantastic OEM wheels and since M3 wheels bolt on, they're a great "stock part" upgrade.

Rabin

I had to pick up some transmission cooling line o-rings for my 06' V70R after discovering some leaks/puddles after parking - but that's not why I'm posting...  Porsche dealer is in the same automall and this blew my mind:

20151228_104209.thumb.jpg.4ffed474487baf

Couldn't believe such a small market would get even one 918 - but 2?!

20151228_113041.thumb.jpg.18d5466ee7e5af

Dealership owner is keeping one, and the other is sold already.  Even more incredible was they sold another black 918 as well - 3 cars total.

20151228_114806.thumb.jpg.2e2425f735a47d

20151228_113102.thumb.jpg.8b6ff9054a9ba4

They were $1.4M, but prices have climbed since and they're likely close to $2.5M now...  

Sales guy was great, and we chatted for a good half hour.

Rabin

Apparently these cars are the only official factory built Gulf colored cars, custom ordered by the dealer owner Vaugn Wyant.  Special permission was needed from Gulf since they no longer sponsor Porsche.

If I had hypercar money to spend I'd probably want a McLaren P1 or the La Ferrari more - but really the best option is to own all three since the 918 is still absolutely stunning.

Rabin

On December 29, 2015 at 9:52 AM, Bean said:

Apparently these cars are the only official factory built Gulf colored cars, custom ordered by the dealer owner Vaugn Wyant.

he must have sold a lot of cars and made a lot of money during the tar sands oil boom, i'm sure the special paint job doubled the already-astronomical cost of the car because porsche.

OTOH, a couple of hours ago i heard a story on the radio -- BBC newshour -- about the movement for cooperation between nations on the opening of the arctic ocean due to climate change, and the reporter was in regina. she said the temperature today was -10 degrees C (about 14 degrees F). no thanks, man, no thanks.... :)

Today I picked up Jamie Kitman's new/old 404 SW near Eckville, AB and hauled it home to Medicine Hat. The roads were excellent thankfully and traffic was light. Talk about a long day!  Next order of business is to fix the fuel system and the brakes, then deliver it to Livingston, Montana. From there it will be shipped to Jamie in New York. 

IMG_20160103_123303_hdr.jpg

IMG_20160103_160436.jpg

IMG_20160103_180936.jpg

Perfomed 30.000 mile service on my GC today. I haven't driven it last 8 months but 30k service was on my to do list for some time. And I wouldn't be Savo if I couldn't go deeper then I should have.

OEM spark plugs,OEM air&cabin filters,OEM belt,synthetic 5w20 with OEM filter,ATE type 200 brake fluid (flushed it),flushed P/S fluid,flushed coolant,resurfaced front brake rotors and replaced front brake pads with adaptive one brand. 

Tomorrow I'll order Red Line transmission and rear diff fluid.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

got new tires for the wife's sport trac. finally got rid of the 20s, i'll be selling them on craigslist soon. the new wheels are 17x7.5 and the new tires are 255/65-17 (stock size is 255/70-16 so this is a +1 fitment). michelins, bien sûr. :) ride is like, 1,000% better.

Photo%20Mar%2015%203%2016%2008%20PM_zpsy