What did you do today?

JunktionFET

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yes, very cool dave! i'd like to do something like that myself...floor space is at a premium in my garage, so i'm thinking that i could place the tank up high on a shelf, like the one i built and posted the photo of (upthread). currently, i have a small portable pancake compressor that i use for my air tools but it would love to have a larger unit permanently installed.

only had a bit of time today, and i got a package in from ECS Tuning with some maintenance parts in it so i changed the engine air filter and the cabin air filter on my jetta. i also replaced the dipstick, the plastic grab handle on the top of the old one disintegrated the last time i checked the oil.

andré

i'd like to do something like that myself...floor space is at a premium in my garage, so i'm thinking that i could place the tank up high on a shelf, like the one i built and posted the photo of (upthread). currently, i have a small portable pancake compressor that i use for my air tools but it would love to have a larger unit permanently installed.

My compressor is fairly small and portable it's a 10 gal tank but the CFM rating is more than a lot of ones twice as big, so even without the auxillary tank it works very comfortably with air tools. For painting the auxillary tank will help.

Today I sold the Prelude. Now I'm down to one car, two motorcycles, and one and a half bicycles. I'll probably tackle a Peugeot car next, though weirdly I've had my mind set on an old Jeep CJ5 or CJ7. Probably the 5 since they actually seem to be a bit cheaper (the 7s are more popular). I could do both in a way--get a late 80s YJ 4.2 with the BA10/5, swap in a Peugeot XD motor. Would have to sort of make a hybrid mutant 10/5, but it's all doable I think.

My first order of business is to finish the Peugeot Galaxie. Right now I'm waiting on some parts to arrive, which I just found out shipped about two weeks late :-/

Yesterday I modified my 2006 VFR.

In order to accommodate packaging and Honda's obsession with mass centralization, the bike has twin side mounted radiators instead of a single large one behind the front tire.

In its original setup, ram air flows through vents behind the front wheel, through the radiators, and out through openings in the side fairings. It works well when moving of course. There is a cooling fan on the left side radiator. Some engineer at Honda figured that if you're sitting in traffic and the fan turns on, you don't want hot air from the radiators blowing on your legs, so they opted to run the fan reverse--pulling air in through the fairing and out the front of the bike. This also works well... if you're not moving. However at around 10 mph or so, which just so happens to be the rush-hour-creep-along-speed, the net airflow through the radiators is near zero because the fan and the ram air sort of cancel each other.

A common mod is to reverse the fan; Flip the blades over and reverse the polarity. Many people have done it with great success. So... I did it. It worked amazingly well, until I stopped for a long period of time. The fan turns on at 220F and turn off around 210F. While stopped, the temp rose to 220F, the fan turned on... but the temp never dropped below that icon_e_sad.gif I'm guessing that the fan was blowing the stagnant hot air from the pavement and front exhaust header through the radiators, thus making this a useless modification. I'm going to undo it and pretend I never read about it.

i was asked to testify in a city council hearing at city hall today. there is a construction project that is proposed for a sort-of mini downtown area near my house, and a public-interest group that i work with has a position on this somewhat-controversial project; when they realized that i lived nearby, they asked me to testify before the council as a resident from the affected area. i prepared my remarks (limited to 1 minute) the night before. but as it turned out, the developer's presentation went over time and there were so many people testifying that i had to leave for a client meeting before my turn came up. :( so i missed my moment of political stardom. i did get to meet a lot of interesting people in LA politics, though.

there were no signs specifically banning photography but i didn't see anyone else taking pictures so i took this picture very discreetly (which is why the perspective is weird):

PhotoMay08103350AM_zps3d254868.jpg

Wow nice! So, are you for or against this development?

We had a similarly controversial development come up in my neck of the woods. There is an area called Crabtree Valley near where I live. It's about 10 miles or so from downtown, and it's a bit of a mess currently. There is an enormous shopping mall surrounded by parking structures, the roads are a million lanes wide, there are hotels, a few midrise office buildings, all surrounded by steep hills. It is literally in a valley, and that valley is subject to massive flooding at times. In fact, the lower level of the mall parking as well as the mall itself have been subject to the flooding in the past.

There was a proposal for a 40+ story high rise office and hotel structure, and people that live in the area opposed it pretty strongly. Some thought such a structure didn't belong in what is effectively in Raleigh's sprawling suburbs--it was a better fit for downtown. Others thought the structure would block their view of the sky. That claim was a bit dubious considering that everything is at a higher elevation anyway, and the view of the sky is more obscured by pine trees than anything else.

I was one of the ones that was for the development, as long as there were massive improvements to traffic management, and more importantly, pedestrian access (which is currently a death wish at best). As it turns out, the development was cancelled. And because of budget issues, traffic improvements are also put on hold for a while.

generally not one to foist my opinions on others, but since you asked... :)

i am in favor of this project...they're proposing to build a leed-platinum-certified skyscraper (first on the west coast) in what is essentially an empty lot...so something is going to be built there at some point, and this is a good project. aside from downtown LA, century city is an appropriate place for something like this. additionally, the developer has committed to building a subway station on the site when the subway comes to this area in a few years. although i'm a car guy, i very much support the development of light rail in LA as i think it will make things better for everybody. there'll be fewer cars on the road and we'll all have more options for getting around. unfortunately, any transit project in los angeles california is nightmarishly expensive, but it's never going to be any cheaper than it is now.

moreover, aside from a few nimby-types, the main opposition to this project is jp morgan chase, which has competing interests in the area and which has engaged in heavy-duty astroturfing against this project. i bank with them, but f*** those guys.

andré

Had a pretty solid weekend overall. Weather's phenomenal hear, so me and my buddies on the crew team threw a big bbq & bonfire at the beach yesterday. Also in the AM, grabbed some new wheels for my E30 to replace the stock 14's I've been rolling around on for the last 5 months. (Sold my 16" BBS in December to fund Bilstein sport shocks/struts, H&R Race springs).

Pretty happy with em'. Got them for a STEAL. I low-balled the shit out of the guy, and he finally caved in when I threw some cash in his face. :D Tires are practically new. Tonnnnnnns of grip.

This week will be pretty light, finished all my midterms on Friday...weathers gonna be good....so I think I'll be at the beach everyday haha. This upcoming Friday, is my school's annual Sun God Music fest, this year featuring Diplo, Audien, Juicy J, Joey Badass and some other names. The next morning on Saturday will making my first pilgramage to Bimmerfest at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. Can't really complain about anything.

BnaVpxcCQAA2LJ_.jpg

BTW... loving the new avatar Rabin! When finals are over in a month, me and some buddies are driving from San Diego-SF, then stopping in Eugene, OR, Seattle, WA, ending in B.C. Think we'll be venturing around Van city, Whistler, and maybe Victoria.

Avatar is courtesy of Andre - I think it's awesome as well... :)

Rims looks great on the car - but what kind are they? Can't go wrong if they came with decent tires as well.

Trip sounds awesome! You guys might want to look at taking the ferry from Seattle to Victoria, explore the island some, then go to Vancouver from the Nanaimo ferry crossing. I haven't gone to Whistler, but that drive is supposed to be amazing. One of these times I want to drive there using that northern route through Whistler on the way to Vancouver.

Btw - I have to say that your college days sound like stereotypical California awesomeness. Beach party bbq's must be

awesome... :)

Rabin

glad you guys like the avatar! and sina, both of your cars are looking great. maybe we can get coffee this weekend if you have some spare time.

recently i've been doing a lot of work in the yard. my wife promised me that if i created a new place for her to plant, she'd grow me some tomatoes (my favorite). there was an area of our yard that was on a slope, so i built a retaining wall to create a new bed:

PhotoMay1291534AM_zps49990fd9.jpg

PhotoMay1291524AM_zps3eaaba99.jpg

still a bit of work to do (finish the top edging), but mostly done.

andré

Landscaping & gardening ftw. Something I've always loved, how's that planting gonna be with this heat that we're in now?

Andre, I'd love to grab coffee - how far are you from Pasadena? I'm gonna need lots of coffee this Saturday for sure haha.

Rabin, they're Rota Slip Streams wrapped around Nittos. Muuuuch more rubber than the fitment with the slight stretch on BBS style 5's I had.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I went down to where my parts car has been all winter. I wanted to move it to a better spot for part removal. We had about 4 or 5 days without rain for the first time in a while so I thought the mud would be OK. I pulled it out on the driveway and hooked up the tow bar and tried to swing around to the new place I wanted it but I got badly stuck in the mud. I spent about 3 hours with jacks, plywood, chains, come-alongs and trees, before finally getting out of the mud. The parts car is still not where I want it, but it's in a better position than where it was.

The Prelude is gone; New owner picked it up today. I didn't plan on replacing it with anything at first, but then Mr Kinder had to post his '85 TD for sale (the one that is 11 shades of brown). Now I'm seriously entertaining the idea of buying it, so much that I'm evaluating a number of shipping options. It's about 2600-2700 miles, and if I can get the shipping cost for around the sale price of the Prelude, I consider that enough of a win... Fingers crossed people!

Have you checked out www.uship.com? I got a smokin' deal shipping a Volvo skid steer from Toronto to Regina for $1500.

Rust free Cali cars are worth the effort even if the paint and interior can get a little extra crispy. Way easier to find good interior, and paint than replacing metal.

Was still hoping you'd get Jonathan's Turbo gas cars, but TD is cool too since I have one of those too!

Rabin

I thought about the road trip thing, but factoring in a plane ticket, and then a couple days of fuel, lodging, and food... and I'd be spending a lot. Plus there's the unknowns... What if I lose an alternator or water pump in the desert, or somewhere in the midwest.

Visited Jonathan last night and briefly talked cars. He's moving soon and will have to do something with the cars. I want to save his '86 STI XN6 5 speed for sure--all it needs is a new LF spindle/knuckle. The threads on the stub axle are completely unfixable, so it has to be replaced.

I will also endeavor to part out his white '89 Turbo. The engine was rebuilt back in ~2000 by Revolution Motors, complete with the last ever set of OE oversize pistons. As far as I know the engine is fine, though it hasn't been run in a while now. The body of the car is smashed, and the burgundy seats are rough, but whatever.

The gray '88 Turbo ("Crackie") needs a new engine, but there's a Danielson head and cam sitting on the busted bottom end.

I'm not sure what to do with the black '89 Turbo ("Blackie"). It needs all new bushings in the front end, P/S fluid leak fixed, and probably a new differential. Since both it and the white car are automatics, I suppose I could transplant the white car's diff into the black car, thus retaining Torsen. Engine was fine, but it has been sitting unstarted for so long (over 10 years), I don't know how well it and the turbocharger have survived living outside like that.

I'm willing to bet the gas tanks in all the cars are screwed, not to mention the fuel lines.

He also has a white '91 Mi16 which is in dire need of a timing belt. Still runs and everything, but not worth the risk of driving it, especially since the belt is so old at this point. I recall the front struts had started to leak a bit as well. He's been talking about trying to get it back on the road and keeping it.