What did you do today?

JunktionFET

I would guess that the nut was jammed between the sensor and the flywheel, and it eventually worked loose, or got loose when you cranked it again.

Sucks for Nick, but a sweet score for you and your wagon project.

Rabin

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yesterday I took my Peugeot (bicycle) for its maiden voyage outside of the neighborhood, and probably the longest actual bicycle ride I've ever done--nearly 10 miles. I know experienced cyclists scoff at such a paltry distance, but it was a PR for me. I'm an avid runner and do run some long distances, but bicycling seems to rely a some muscles that running does not :) So I'm a little sore here and there.

I had an absolute blast. The bike seems to handle very well. Despite its vintage, it feels lightweight and nimble. Though it is a mountain bike, I had some hybrid tires fitted since most of my riding will be on paved or prepared surfaces. Being a bit frightened of busy roads, I only used the road surface in neighborhoods, side streets, and major roads with bike lanes (which mercifully Raleigh has a few near my home). The rest of the time I retreated to the sidewalks.

I also discovered it is actually a 1984 model, not 1987 as the seller informed me (he wasn't entirely sure anyway). And according to my 1984 Peugeot Cycles catalog, this puppy is nearly 100% original, minus the tires, seat, and chain. Funny coincidence that my first car was a 1984 Peugeot too.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I went to one of the Cars And Coffee locally. I got there late but there were still many people out. Not a whole lot of interesting cars except a funky Jeep Forward Control truck (with an exhaust stack!), a McLaren, couple Ferrari 430s, and a Fisker showed up as well. There were of course the obligatory showing of douchebags in BMWs, and old guys in Corvettes wearing Corvette branded apparel. No I'm not hating. Much.

After that I stopped by the Raleigh Flea Market, which is a rather massive to-do every weekend at the State Fairgrounds. Normally it's just a million acres of trinkets and stuff no one needs, but there are a few bike vendors that set up shop there. One of them had three vintage Peugeots on hand, and I just happened to spot them out of sheer random luck. Two of them were fitted with original lights and generators (and fenders, rear tray, etc), and I found it so damn cool that the lights were amber!

post-47-0-87029700-1396728388_thumb.jpg

post-47-0-25801300-1396728437_thumb.jpg

post-47-0-23847600-1396728479_thumb.jpg

Cleaned up six steering wheels and instrument clusters from various parts cars and put them in their mouse-proof storage tubs. Many more to go, but one thing at a time...already this year I believe I've accomplished more with my cars than I have in the last five years or more. It sure feels good be be back at it, especially since spring has FINALLY decided to show up in Southern Alberta. As well, made some progress creating a mounting solution to put an aftermarket steering wheel on my '85 Turbo (Grant Formula One 13.5" wheel I've been sitting on for the last decade). The solution I've found starts with the hub from a Renault Fuego 2-piece sport steering wheel, modified slightly to fit the 505 steering column (spline is identical). I now need to put a 2" spacer in between that hub and the wheel to get the depth right. I'm considering my options, and it looks like I can find a spacer on eBay that might work with a bit of drilling.

post-648-0-32204400-1396924314_thumb.jpg

hugh -- now i've made the connection between your account on the FB group and here! as others commented in the FB group, that's a nice wheel, very period correct for our cars.

i could swear that i've seen formuling steering wheel adapters for the 505 offered for sale from time to time, if i see one again i'll let you know.

andré

Guilty as charged, André. So much for my online anonymity!

As for the hub, if you do come across the proper adapter, or even its part number, I would of course be very appreciative. I think my homebrew setup is going to work pretty well in the end, but I may lose the self-cancelling function on the signals in the process (although that's not a deal-breaker for me as I ride a motorcycle and I'm used to cancelling my turnsignals manually). One way or another, that wheel is going on that car, and soon. I bought it a decade ago on an impulse, when Canadian Tire was clearing out some old stock, and I think I paid forty bucks for it. In retrospect, that's one impulse purchase I'm actually glad I made.

Hugh

• 2 weeks later...

We're getting ready to go on vacation... Heading back out to the west coast - but this time by air. Staying in Vancouver for a night, then to the Victoria for just over a week, back to Vancouver for a night. and back home. I took a few extra days at the end to hopefully take advantage of the spring weather to make a LARGE dent in my todo list for getting stuff done in my garage. I MUST get it sorted, and I MUST complete the insulation and wiring before I start in on the cars.

It'll be tough - but the reward will be to be able to PROPERLY work on my cars inside the garage!

Rabin

I searched in vain for some before and after pics of my own garage to provide some context to my remarks, but it's really hard to express how GOOD it feels to get a work space organized and cleared so you can finally get something done on a project. Any time you spend on this task will pay dividends. In my case, I went from having my garage reasonably well-organized to filled with junk in a matter of months, and it took me two full years to get it back to where I could put a car in it. That's pretty bad, but my motivation went out the window every time I looked at that horrendous mess and thought about the size of the task. Eventually I caught fire and did the whole thing in a couple weeks. To be fair, it's still a work in progress, but I've been doing a lot of purging lately and eventually I'll have full use of my workbenches again. it's sobering to realize that those boxes of stuff you've been saving are things you haven't needed and haven't missed in two years or more, so you can definitely live without most of it. I've been donating a lot of stuff to the local Sally Ann and other charities, which keeps it out of the dumpster and helps others out. I have spent entirely too much of my time on this earth managing my STUFF, while ignoring the things I really want to accomplish. Time to change that, and why not now? Here's hoping this will be the year for you to get that garage space ready, Rabin. The effort is totally worth it.

After all that I found one picture. This is how it looks presently, rather than how it looked before I got busy. The Saturn SL1 is my daily winter driver. And as you can see, there's plenty left to do...

post-648-0-87445100-1397794554_thumb.jpg

Several weeks ago I stopped driving my '90 Prelude because the clutch stopped working correctly. It was acting as though the hydraulics were failing. Depressing the clutch invariably didn't fully disengage it. This occurred at stop lights, while upshifting or downshifting in motion, etc. Pumping the clutch or just repressing it seemed to bring it back, at least temporarily.

I replaced both the master and slave cylinders, and I've bled the shit out of it. It's behaving exactly the same as before. The release bearing has always been a bit noisy, and in the back of my mind it was a concern. The noise hasn't changed much except now sometimes I can hear it squeaking as the engine idles. Alarmingly, I can also feel some unevenness in the clutch pedal itself while the engine is running, as if some kind of wobble from the pressure plate or release bearing is feeding back through the hydraulics to my foot, if that makes sense.

I'm going to assume the worst and say that the clutch release bearing at the very least is dying. Either way, I can't reliably drive the car, and sadly I've sort of lost interest. I don't have the time or motivation to tackle such a project, so I'm going to try to sell it along with the massive collection of spare and upgrade parts.

The silver lining is that may open space for me to acquire a Peugeot car. While I'd prefer a 504 or 505 diesel (I mean, who wouldn't?!), I may end up with one of Jonathan's graveyard cars. Kinda thinking the '86 STI 5 speed might be a good option. I'd like to save at least one of the Turbos (Blackie especially), but god only knows what it needs; It's been sitting unstarted and motionless for probably 9 years now and was parked in the first place because it developed a massive rear diff and power steering leak. The diff ran dry for a while, which granted it about 25 feet of backlash :P, and the power steering leak dissolved most of the bushings in the front end. Sad story really.

If you save Blackie or Crackie - I will contribute any used spares you need for the cost of shipping... (But that's the rub - shipping from Canada!)

Flip side is if you can get both and use Crackie as a parts car for Blackie.

The exploits of you and Jonathan fueled my insanity back in the day and I'd happily contribute whatever parts and resources I can to save Blackie and/or Crackie.

Rabin

Today is catch-up day for me on little projects with my E30. Gonna replace the mast on my Hirschmann, do the front springs, and engine mounts.

I've been a little busy with school lately, but I'll be finishing my third year in a month.

Also after many rounds of interviews, locked down an internship for the summer back up in San Francisco, which = more time to get back at work on the Peugeot.

Pretty stoked :D

A while back Mike T posted about touring a world class restoration facility in Victoria BC - Rudi & Company.

I'm currently on holiday in Victoria - so I sent in a request to see if there was a tour happening in the next couple days that I could tag along on... No tours - but he invited me out anyway.

We chatted briefly in his office and he was the consummate car guy to the core... He excused himself and made a call to his shop, and then asked the guy on the phone to come to his office. A young guy named Rajan came down, we chatted some more, and then Rudi asked him to show me the facility... He apologized that he had a few things to do - but I was in good hands with Rajan...

I saw cars I've only ever seen online... Porsche 904, Ferrari 250 GTO, Testa Rossa 1958, 250 GT, 330 GT, 2x D-Type Le Mans Jaguars, a whack of e-types, and two 89' 911 Turbo's - 1 normal and one a factory slant nose both with really low kms. The highlight was seeing the show room with completed 300SL's, and the work shop where they did reassembly...

Most amazing collecion of cars I've ever seen in my life - bar none...

Rabin

had some extra time today so i finally got around to putting a trailer hitch on my jetta wagon. this installation required drilling holes but it wasn't too bad. the hardest part was removing the plastic trim without damaging it. the whole thing took about an hour.

here's a link to a tutorial on how to do this particular install if anyone is interested...

now i'll be able to get a bike rack so that we can take our bikes along in the jetta or in my wife's truck. currently we just put the bikes in the back of the truck; it has a ball on the back bumper, but i'd like to install a receiver-type hitch like the one on the jetta so we can use the same bike rack on both vehicles. later, i'd like to modify a 505 trailer hitch into the receiver type (since all the hitches available for our cars are the old type).

PhotoApr2753854PM_zps5fb63be7.jpg

after i took this next picture, i covered the screw heads with silicon to seal everything up.

PhotoApr2753904PM_zpsf7b93377.jpg

andré

I need to get a hitch for the Acura for the same reason; I don't want to use a trunk rack or roof rack. Trouble is that it's difficult to find out if one of the hitch kits from Hidden Hitch, Curt, etc will work on a TSX SE. The SE has a different rear valence than the standard TSX, and I don't want to have to modify it in any way. From what I've seen, they fit the normal TSX without modification, but boy is it tight!

eTrailer was no help, and most responses from the TSX forums are unhelpful or are crap like "Why do you want to put a hitch on the car?!". Because clearly I want to connect my 3000 lb dump trailer and haul around about 8800 lbs of gravel.

I'm thinking I should just order one from a vendor that easily accepts returns, and mock it up in place to see if it fits without messing up the car.

your se is the one that looks like this, right?

2012-Acura-TSX-Special-Edition-Rear-560x

i can't see how you're going to mount a standard trailer hitch on that without cutting the rear valence (i.e., "messing it up"). you might be able to get something custom fabricated, i know that there are places around here that weld up custom hitches. otherwise you'll have to go with a trunk-mount bike rack like this:

saris_bones_trunk_mount_bike_rack_hero_z

but then you won't be able to haul your 3000 lb dump trailer filled with 8800 lbs of gravel. :)

andré

Yep, that's the butt of the SE! :) Presumably there is a shop nearby that will do a custom hitch and he has a good reputation, so I may check that out.

Since I have an optional lip spoiler on the trunk lid, a trunk mount rack won't work. Or to be more specific, the straps run a greater risk of damaging the spoiler's paint. I've also heard those things can warp the sheet metal or slide around and damage the painted edges of the trunk lid, etc.

I'm a day late posting this, but brought my mother's '86 STI down from Cayley yesterday to begin work on it. (My apologies to all those waiting for parts from me - I went up there with a shopping list and in the end getting the car running and drivable took almost the entire time. I will make another trip soon.) I'm going to fix it as I drive it, and I expect it will take a few months at the very least to go over everything. The plan is to return it to her in the fall with all the snags fixed, then start on my '85 Turbo project. These first couple of projects are going to be a bit rough as I'm on a pauper's budget when it comes to bodywork and I'm relying mostly on parts I already have to complete them. I'll start a new project thread for the STI - in the meantime, here it is:

post-648-0-72341900-1398726978_thumb.jpg

post-648-0-43256800-1398727253_thumb.jpg

hugh -- what's on your to-do list for this car?

joe -- you may be able to find something that fits your car in the UK or on the continent...since trucks and SUVs aren't as popular there, it seems like cars are more often used as tow vehicles...

the TSX is similar to the european-market accord, correct? even if you don't find exactly what you're looking for, maybe you can get some ideas to help you design a custom tow bar setup. i found this on ebay.co.uk in about two minutes...it's for an older accord, but i'd imagine you'd need an arrangement like the one pictured below to clear that low rear valence your car has (without cutting anything)...you could use an extender between the receiver and the bike rack to give you some clearance...

accordtrailerhitch_zpsefb17438.jpg

andré

I did a little plumbing for my compressor. I have the connection to the compressor on the left then a water separator, a connection for an auxiliary tank, an oil mister and outlet for air tools, and then on the right a filter/drier and outlet for painting.

DSCF4292a.jpg