405s in West Los Angeles

sometimes my route takes me past a house that has a liberte wagon parked in front of it...i had been meaning to stop by and introduce myself, but somehow i am always going somewhere and don't have time. today i went past, and the liberte was not there, but two 405s were parked out front!

PhotoMay1895206AM.jpg

i had to stop. how often do you see two 405s parked together on the street? the gate to the yard of the house was open, but it looked like no one was home. i was turning to leave, and i passed an older gentleman who was walking a dog -- he walked into the gate. i called after him, and he came out to meet me. i introduced myself, his name was marcel (he's french). he said that the liberte was his, along with one of the 405s...the one with the wing on the back was a loaner from the shop. turns out, he brings his cars to rene at european auto service in reseda (reseda is in the san fernando valley, not far from where i bought my car). apparently his wagon is in being serviced right now.

marcel is a peugeot enthusiast, although in my brief meeting with him he didn't seem like much of a gearhead. when i get my car smogged and licensed, i will drop back by to see him, is how we left it.

andre

• 2 weeks later...

My uncle, the same one who also owned a 89 V6 on the east coast had a '90 Mi16 (red) used to let me drive his car every spring when I would go and visit. I do have to say that the engine felt so much more peppy than the 150 horses that were there. fun great car it was to drive. And neither if them had any signs of rust. He had a crappy old merc Benz e 230 diesel that he used during the winter months .

• 4 weeks later...

a lot of the contemporary reviews commented that the interior of the 405 was not as nice as people had come to expect from peugeot -- some call it "cheap." there's a guy on peugeot-l (i believe his name is carey) who bought a 405 from another member & is fixing it up; one of the things he asked about is warped door panels. on the plus side, the interior looks a bit more modern than the 505s. additionally, 405s don't have as bad of a torque steer problem as other fwd cars from the era (or even now -- mazda 3, anybody?). peugeot was one of the last major manufacturers to go to fwd for its high-volume car lines, i guess it's a case of "last out, best dressed."

i personally like the 405s without the body kits, but i guess i'm just getting older. stay off my lawn! :D

a couple of weeks ago at ukit's, i saw a dark blue 405 (scrapped, a parts car) that had 16" aftermarket alloys on it. i was so excited to see aftermarket alloys on a peugeot that i took pictures of the wheel center & tires sizes so i could track them down later --- i didn't stop to think that this wasn't a 505!! i guess aftermarket wheels are easier to come by for 405s, though you don't often see them in this country. anyway, here are the pics:

PhotoJun13102825AM.jpg

PhotoJun13102828AM.jpg

andré

• 1 month later...

a lot of the contemporary reviews commented that the interior of the 405 was not as nice as people had come to expect from peugeot -- some call it "cheap." there's a guy on peugeot-l (i believe his name is carey) who bought a 405 from another member & is fixing it up; one of the things he asked about is warped door panels. on the plus side, the interior looks a bit more modern than the 505s. additionally, 405s don't have as bad of a torque steer problem as other fwd cars from the era (or even now -- mazda 3, anybody?). peugeot was one of the last major manufacturers to go to fwd for its high-volume car lines, i guess it's a case of "last out, best dressed."

i personally like the 405s without the body kits, but i guess i'm just getting older. stay off my lawn! :D

a couple of weeks ago at ukit's, i saw a dark blue 405 (scrapped, a parts car) that had 16" aftermarket alloys on it. i was so excited to see aftermarket alloys on a peugeot that i took pictures of the wheel center & tires sizes so i could track them down later --- i didn't stop to think that this wasn't a 505!! i guess aftermarket wheels are easier to come by for 405s, though you don't often see them in this country. anyway, here are the pics:

PhotoJun13102825AM.jpg

PhotoJun13102828AM.jpg

andré

Hello all,

Andre, the pictures you took at Ukit is my 1989 405 Mi16. I got the wheels from oversea. I brought them off my friend who had them on Citron C4 (I think it is a C4). It is very similar to the 405. The headlight and many parts are the same to me. One day my friend called and said your wheel just got picked up by the shipping company. Guess what happened to my Mi16 that day. The timing belt broke. The car has been fixed, but I have not drive it since, so the wheel have not see action on US road.

My mi16 is not a part car. It is dark gray with all the dust and bad paint, it may looked blue. It is running. I have no room to park it, so I park it at ukit's shop.

I also have the euro headlights and peugeot factory body kit with square projector fog lights, not yet installed. I will post some pictures later.

Yes Hamann is a BMW tuner. I need to look for center cap with peugeot logo (ebay).

Cool - welcome to the forum Chavin20!

Your car definitely sounds like it belongs in the build thread forum, so if you feel like posting a progress build that'd be great. I for one would love to see some of the bits you've collected as they get installed.

Rabin

most humble and sincere apologies, chavin20. i too look forward to hearing more about your car...

where are you located? i am in west LA (90025)...

andré

I'm in Pomona area. I've been going to Ukit for 13 years now.

Chavin! I took a lot of nice pictures of your car last weekend. Looks great! Would you mind if I include them in the picture thread that I'm going to post on here?

You did? Which car of my did you took pictures of, Mi16 or E30?

Sure go ahead and post them.

Haha they were both yours? I had no idea that other Peugeot enthusiasts were also E30 enthusiasts as well.

For sure, I'll put them all up after editing the batch from my Socal trip tomorrow.

I'm moving down from the SF bay area in three weeks to San Diego, so you guys can be expecting me in the area more often..

Cool - welcome to the forum Chavin20!

Your car definitely sounds like it belongs in the build thread forum, so if you feel like posting a progress build that'd be great. I for one would love to see some of the bits you've collected as they get installed.

Rabin

Here are pictures of my body kit. The red 405 is what the car will look like with the kit installed. I just need every one to close your eyes and imagine the car in dark gray, then you will see my car. :lol:

405body3lg.th.jpg405body2.th.jpg405body1.th.jpg405foglight.th.jpg405foglight2.th.jpg

These picture were taken from eBay, when I won the auction for the body kit. Credit to the pictures goes to Tae Jin Park of WA. I think that is his name. He is very knowledgeable with Peugeot and Alfa Romeo.