more pics of my GL

these pics are from day one. since i took these, i've cleaned the car up a bit -- vacuumed out the inside, pulled off the door-edge and wheelwell trim that some PO added. also removed the cracked gutter trim, put air in the tires. the aftermarket wheelcovers are gone, as well; waiting to hear about availability of original wheelcovers from brian holm.

been busy with work since last thursday so i haven't had a chance to turn a wrench on this car. had a little bit of time over the weekend, thought i'd change the oil but couldn't find my 8mm square bit socket & got sidetracked.

car starts right up, idles a bit rough. ran it in my driveway the other night (being careful not to rev engine), it hacked up a bit of soot so i'm not going to run it until i can pull the gas tank and get it cleaned out. got a referral for a nearby rad shop from a buddy, they'll do it $75 which seems fair. hopefully will get the tank out before friday, depending on how the week goes.

think the exhaust system has a leak, will be looking in to replacing it. need to get engine running clean & steady before I tackle getting the car smogged, & have to register the car in within the next week or so. thinking i will register it as "non-operative" until i pass smog, then get registration current.

paint code is 1477, so car is "glacier poly" according to PPG chart.

post-773-1300211454.jpg

my project car in front of my project house

post-773-1300211385.jpg

i said the car had no rust, but there is actually a bit -- driver's side fender had a bender at some point. will likely replace

post-773-1300211576.jpg

closeup of fender damage. looks like it was repaired with BFH

post-773-1300211606.jpg

interior. tired.

post-773-1300211800.jpg

plastic cover on shifter is cracking.

post-773-1300211833.jpg

why do people do the things they do? i don't know

post-773-1300211866.jpg

starter relay switch & my foot.

A cheap parts car would come in real handy for getting a lot of that sorted out. Or finding a good one in a pick a part you could go to town on.

If you do decide to do a fender replacment - just know they're bolted and glued on, and the glue is a right bugger to get off without putting a couple oil can dents into when removing. Needs lots of patience and a heat gun if possible in addition to SHARP blades.

Rabin

thanks for the comments & advice, rabin

a parts car would be awesome, but i have no idea where i'd put it. i live in the city, and we are all on top of each other here. you can probably see from the photo, my house has a very small one-car garage -- just big enough for my tools. on top of that, we are in the final stages of a renovation so there's stuff everywhere in & around my house. plus, my wife would murder me.

an aside -- last night my wife expressed mild disappointment that i got my project car before the house was done. i told her i didn't want to wait that long, i could be dead before the house was finished. she didn't think that was funny...

went down to a pick-n-pull a few weeks ago, those guys were amazed to hear that cars are manufactured in france -- they had never heard of peugeot, much less seen one. i plan to check out Ukit in the coming days, and i will be looking at all the cars being parted out much more intently now.

on top of everything else, my boss just gave me a project that will keep me pretty busy for the next two months...i remember reading a build thread where this guy had done an amazing amount of work on his car. when people asked him his secret to getting so much done, he said that he only spent an hour a day on his car but he did it *every* day -- he said you would be suprised at how much you can get done if you just stick with it. that's my plan these days...

andre

these pics are from day one. since i took these, i've cleaned the car up a bit -- vacuumed out the inside, pulled off the door-edge and wheelwell trim that some PO added. also removed the cracked gutter trim, put air in the tires. the aftermarket wheelcovers are gone, as well; waiting to hear about availability of original wheelcovers from brian holm.

been busy with work since last thursday so i haven't had a chance to turn a wrench on this car. had a little bit of time over the weekend, thought i'd change the oil but couldn't find my 8mm square bit socket & got sidetracked.

car starts right up, idles a bit rough. ran it in my driveway the other night (being careful not to rev engine), it hacked up a bit of soot so i'm not going to run it until i can pull the gas tank and get it cleaned out. got a referral for a nearby rad shop from a buddy, they'll do it $75 which seems fair. hopefully will get the tank out before friday, depending on how the week goes.

think the exhaust system has a leak, will be looking in to replacing it. need to get engine running clean & steady before I tackle getting the car smogged, & have to register the car in within the next week or so. thinking i will register it as "non-operative" until i pass smog, then get registration current.

paint code is 1477, so car is "glacier poly" according to PPG chart.

post-773-1300211454.jpg

my project car in front of my project house

post-773-1300211385.jpg

i said the car had no rust, but there is actually a bit -- driver's side fender had a bender at some point. will likely replace

post-773-1300211576.jpg

closeup of fender damage. looks like it was repaired with BFH

post-773-1300211606.jpg

interior. tired.

post-773-1300211800.jpg

plastic cover on shifter is cracking.

post-773-1300211833.jpg

why do people do the things they do? i don't know

post-773-1300211866.jpg

starter relay switch & my foot.

Looks like the right side wiper blade needs replacement.

Ikenna.

yes, ikenna, both wiper blades are thrashed. you have a good eye! there's also a bunch of small things wrong with the car that don't show up in the photos, most of it dumb stuff.

i'm putting together lists of parts i'm buying from various vendors to get the simple/important stuff fixed...should be putting in some orders over the next few days...

andre

dash is cracked, of course -- there are two big cracks over the center stack, plus a smaller one by the driver's side corner.

post-773-1300466391.jpg

I'm going to look for a dash from a car that's being parted out; if i can't find a good one before i get to that stage of my car's rehabilitation, there's a place in Van Nuys (about 20 minutes from my house) that re-does dashes -- they shave off the top layer of vinyl, fill cracks & vacuum cover with new vinyl. Not cheap but looks great. they can do armrests as well, mine look pretty good though.

also a bit of weirdness with the glove box -- the latch got broken at some point in the past, and it looks like the glovebox door was taped shut -- you can see the residue in the picture picture below. the latch was fixed in a really jury-rigged way, that's also on my list.

post-773-1300466424.jpg

sorry for the lens flare in this pic, tried to filter it out as best i could. sun in LA is crazy bright this morning...

andre

None of the dash restoration places print their prices on their websites since it is highly dependent on how "complicated" it is for them to work -- pretty sure 95% of the cost of this process is labor. The more holes, curves, etc. you have in your dash, the more costs, apparently. I've seen postings online citing prices from $450 to $850...think that also includes return shipping, though, and dashes are generally big & somewhat heavy, so I'm hoping I can save on that since I'm local & can drop off & pick up myself.

i know of two other shops that do this, one (dash restoration) is in your neck of the woods, koll. there's also a shop in australia that is a lot cheaper (<$300 US), but as always, the shipping kills you. apparently those two other shops were affiliated in the past, but changed ownership over time & are now separate businesses.

I called just dashes the other day, they were nice enough. when they found out that i'm local, they told me to come by their shop & they'd give me a quote. they had no idea what the 505 dashboard looked like, of course. :) it'll probably be a good month or two before i can get around to that, it's down towards the middle of my priority list for the car.

along with the cost, though, i'm concerned about a recovered dash not matching the rest of the interior. i mean, it would suck to spend $850 on a beautiful dash that looked out of place in the car. since i'll be going by just dashes's shop, though, i'll be able to look at the colors they have and determine if it's worth pursuing.

it might be cheaper, and give better results, to get the dash recovered in vinyl or alcantera by one of the shops that does it old school (i.e., not using a vacuum process, but instead using adhesive). that process doesn't work too well on dashes like the datsun z cars', with their stylized aircraft-style air vents, but looks to work well on square dashes like ours. if just dashes is at the higher end cost-wise, i'll look into that as well.

whatever i find out, i'll post it, of course.

Shag it :)

dash_designs_velour_dashboard_cover.jpg

nice.

who knows, may end up doing that when all is said & done. at this point, though, it seems like giving up :)...fwiw, i'm really enjoying researching and sourcing stuff for my car. it's like a big puzzle, with the pieces spread out all over the internet.

andre