availabilty of suspension upgrade parts

Metako

Apart from lowered springs, what other suspension parts are available and desireable for a 505 turbo? I am aware that thicker swaybars and eurothane swaybar bushes are available, but what about eurothane rear crossmember mounts for example (anyone seen or tried these?) or offset front arm inner pins/bushes (so camber can be adjusted), front /rear strut baces etc.

Here is my recepie:

- In front Volvo 240 series springs, and modified original shocks. Shock valve manipulation and oil change to new original oil (available still and not expencive) or use different grade like dirt bike shock oil.

- In back heavy duty 505 springs or MB 190 rear springs. Koni adjustable shock's with helper spring (these are rare, I know) I have two sets of these and these were available in 10years ago.

I think front swaybar is ok but rear is totally too soft and needs some upgrade, one turbo owner here is trying to find manufacturer for these turbo "chassis connections" urethane rubber (eurothane?). As you know those two connection rubbers at each side? Turbo has different rear ones! It's 1,5cm longer than other models!

V-M

Metako: If you don't mind me asking, where have you found upgraded sway bars and urothane bushings for the 505 turbo?

I'm not sure about the other items, but I'm cuerious to see what you find.

Please keep us updated! :D

Sorry, I was refering to using 505 non-turbo swaybars ie 27mm front (GTi) and 19mm/20mm (604) rear swaybar. A company hear in Australia also makes 27mm/20mm swaybars for 505s with urethane(?) bushings - "K-Mac". Do not know if these will fit the turbo 505.

The Volvo 240 front springs - they are heavier and lower the 505 too? Is not the spring on the Volvo flat-bottomed whereas the 505 is not? And do the Merc 190 springs need to be cut?

Also some have said heavier shocker oil harms the shocker somehow. Is this true? Has anyone tried the heavier oil?

I am planning to make my own strut bar as I havent been able to find any for sale.

Sorry, I was refering to using 505 non-turbo swaybars ie 27mm front (GTi) and 19mm/20mm (604) rear swaybar. A company hear in Australia also makes 27mm/20mm swaybars for 505s with urethane(?) bushings - "K-Mac". Do not know if these will fit the turbo 505.

The Volvo 240 front springs - they are heavier and lower the 505 too? Is not the spring on the Volvo flat-bottomed whereas the 505 is not? And do the Merc 190 springs need to be cut?

Also some have said heavier shocker oil harms the shocker somehow. Is this true? Has anyone tried the heavier oil?

I am planning to make my own strut bar as I havent been able to find any for sale.

Volvo springs needs to be cut and same for MB springs. Too thich oil will harm any strut, but using special strut oils there is no probs (maybe only here in -C degrees can be brobs with thick oil).

V-M

very interesting!! V-M: are you using aftermarket front 240 springs, or stock? and what about rear MB 190 springs, stock? i'm surprised they are heavier then stock 505 turbo springs!

are the koni adjustable rear shocks specifically for the 505 turbo, or are they for another car? We've tried multiple rear shocks, and nothing (as of yet) seems to be as stiff as the OEM's. :D

very interesting!! V-M: are you using aftermarket front 240 springs, or stock? and what about rear MB 190 springs, stock? i'm surprised they are heavier then stock 505 turbo springs!

are the koni adjustable rear shocks specifically for the 505 turbo, or are they for another car? We've tried multiple rear shocks, and nothing (as of yet) seems to be as stiff as the OEM's. :D

Aftermarket 240 springs and original MB springs, Those mercedes ones are real killers (you will see, I'll take some pictures all of those).

Those are really for 505 and 604 (There is label in original box, and also original sales papers for garanti also followed from year -92) and fits nicely. I know that "all" aftermarket ones sucks, at least those normal priced ones.

V-M

Very cool topic!

V-M - any chance you can provide details on your recipe so we can cook the same dish? :D Spring rates, how much to cut off, weight of oil used etc etc. would be of great help. Also if you could describe the difference from stock to your new recipe?

If I can find the right coil over kit, I'm thinking the fronts could be modified with threaded sleeve with adjustable perches and a different strut bearing. With the right top mount - you could then dial in some added camber should you so desire (or play with caster if you wanted to). The trick with this set up is knowing what spring rate to run. Watching the video of Heligon's 505 race car and I want my car to handle like that! (OK - not quite that hardcore - but somewhere in the middle would be nice.) Finding out his suspension specs would be amazing - same with the brake set up - know what it is and how to get it wwould be AWESOME. I'll be using AMSOIL racing shock fluid - comes in different weights so I'll just go a wee bit heavier than what comes out.

The rear - I was hoping to do up a similar threaded collar system - but that would have to be all custom made which isn't likely going to be worth it - so running some stiffer rear springs that fit and some heavier rear shocks is going to have to be the ticket. Likely need to do the rear first - then sort out the front spring rates so as to give the car that same sense of balance it has stock - just stiffer and lower all around. So I've very interested in the MB 190 springs used... (I'm guessing lower aftermaket 190 springs could be used untouched?)

The rear shocks I was going to experiment with Mid 80's Ford F150 front shocks. The install the same - I just have to make sure they have a similar operating length. If that works - Options for damping rates open up since the same suspension was used on the 250's, and the 350's. Offroad or custom options also open up - so hopefully something in that line up works and fits the 505 Turbo...

Rabin

Mmm, I was going to have some lower, 30% heavier progressive rate springs made up as for street use. I think the progressive rate is a good idea. But the problem of matching the shockers to control the new springs was always going to be a problem. Experimenting with different oil sounds like it opens up the possibilities quite a bit for the front, but I'm wondering how involved it is to rebuild the shockers with heavier oil. Hopefully once you'd done it a couple of times it would be easier. :D For the rears I already have a pair of heavier shocks of unknown origin that I took off a wreck. Hopefully these will work OK. What about the offset front arm bushes - anyone know of anyone making these? And strut braces?

Mmm, I was going to have some lower, 30% heavier progressive rate springs made up as for street use. I think the progressive rate is a good idea. But the problem of matching the shockers to control the new springs was always going to be a problem. Experimenting with different oil sounds like it opens up the possibilities quite a bit for the front, but I'm wondering how involved it is to rebuild the shockers with heavier oil. Hopefully once you'd done it a couple of times it would be easier. :D For the rears I already have a pair of heavier shocks of unknown origin that I took off a wreck. Hopefully these will work OK. What about the offset front arm bushes - anyone know of anyone making these? And strut braces?

you know that dalhems makes progressive 505 springs right?

http://www.dalhems.com/stylingsidor/lowspr...ml#anchor103701

No I didn't - thanks. What are they like? Has anyone tried them? Why the preference for Volvo and Merc springs and the danger of mismatch when ready made progressive springs are available?

Danger of mismatch? Well, basic reason is money. Everything is possible if have money,but who drives old pug if you have money to buy ferrari (of similar)?

V-M

I understand price considerations but if you're going to buy heavier aftermarket Volvo springs are these much cheaper than aftermarket 505 springs? I can see that the factory Merc springs could be found cheap at a wrecker though.

Basically, those volvo springs are stronger and cheap (new ones -> 20 euros/pair) There was no 505 front springs available, but I did buy 505 rear springs in same price. I'm not looking best solution in my projects, just following my motto -> Most bang for the buck! And other thing is at those volvo springs fits nicely in original palace and with those modified shocks it should function correctly (not tested yet).

V-M

Yep - I just checked them out and they are a 30mm drop.

Works out to $365 CDN for a set - plus shipping of course.

Not a bad price all things considered - I may have to e-mail them to see what the spring rates are - if it works it would save a heck of a lot of work.

But doing a custom coil over is just cooler, so I'll probably do that and match them to Benz springs in the back.

Is there any year in particular for the 190 springs? (There are virtually no european cars in Saskatchewan - so it's even weirder for me to be a Peugeot junkie. Sadly this also means no wrecks to pilfer parts from.)

Rabin

Basically, those volvo springs are stronger and cheap (new ones -> 20 euros/pair) There was no 505 front springs available, but I did buy 505 rear springs in same price. I'm not looking best solution in my projects, just following my motto -> Most bang for the buck! And other thing is at those volvo springs fits nicely in original palace and with those modified shocks it should function correctly (not tested yet).

V-M

Oh OK I didnt realise they would be that cheap - that makes sense then. I emailed Dalhelms and the delivered price to Australia ($380 US) would be considerably more than having them made here so I dont think I'll go that route unless they are especially good. But they said they did not know the spring rates - strange! - and you can't buy just the fronts.

Merry Christmas to everyone on the forum!

• 3 weeks later...

Oh OK I didnt realise they would be that cheap - that makes sense then. I emailed Dalhelms and the delivered price to Australia ($380 US) would be considerably more than having them made here so I dont think I'll go that route unless they are especially good. But they said they did not know the spring rates - strange! - and you can't buy just the fronts.

Those are still available? I think one Finnish 505 owner asked those too some months ago and was told they were discontinued and out of stock.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

hey VM the 240 springs you used in the front, does it make a difference if the car has ABS or not and what do u need to modify to the strut to make them work, did u just put fresh oil or somethin else, also by aftermarket do you mean lowering springs or just an aftermarket brand of the original and what do you need to do to that spring to make it right??