HELP!! 505 V6 EMITS BLACK SMOKES FROM THE EXHAUST PIPE

Ikenna

Yes - once Ikenna mentioned where the O2 sensor was, I remembered it being there at the entrance to the cat. Each downpipe from each side joins together at a Y, and immediately goes into the cat, and that's where the O2 sensor is. Since it's a good 36" from the engine, heated would be the way to go.

The bung in Andre's picture is just filled with a plug on my exhaust manifold, in the earlier engines there were EGR pipes that fed into that opening I believe.

Ikenna - does you car have the plug in for the O2? If so it should be easy to get you a picture that shows you which wires go to which pins / wires.

Rabin

Of course, the O2 sensor plug in/connector on my car is still in tact. In fact, they are seperated. Two wires from Injectn ECU to the sensor has its own plug in, the + wire from Fuel pump relay has a separate plug, while a ground wire does have its own plug. So three pug in/connectors which are packed by the right side, close to air filter box. The wires are not the problem, but plugging them were they would be useful is the problem.

Ikenna.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

sorry if i muddied the waters a bit -- thanks for explaining that, rabin. :)

ikenna, i remember you saying that your car didn't have the right wiring harness, so the chances of the O2 connector being where you need it are slim...you will probably have to rig up some sort of wiring extension, yes?

andré

on the 02 sensor, just need to know the right wire # & the 02 tip needs to be the same... If these are the same, bingo! I'm not @ work so I can't give you the universal fit Bosch # which is the cheapest and splice in, will do if needed...

I went to a look for a new electric fan & found one(was surprised). Its Mercedez-Benz modern brand new electric fan. The fan dosent have cowl, but its so big that it will cover the whole 505 radiator. The price is N15,000. ($92). Its very expensive, compared to our own currency. If am to replace the fan with the Viscous one in the car, I wont need two fans because there wont be space for the second one. The absence of cowl means it will need some constructive work to make it hold on the Radiator. If I may ask, what really is the function of the fan cowl/shroud? Will it affect the cooling of the engine if absence?

Another issue will be whether to connect electric fan to ignition switch, to run continuously or run the connection to the sensor on the radiator (if the sensor still works). The fan running continuously will eventually kill the fan motor sooner or shorten its lifespan. But thats what everybody is doing here, though am not a Bandwagon propaganda type (everybody does it!). I will first check the radiator sensor with my test light, when i connect it, to see if it still works. If it does, then the sensor will have to power the fan. If it dosent, i will have no option than to wire it to Ignition switch or fuel pump relay, since the FP relay is energised only when engine clanks or is running, to save battery.

Right now, am not sure am ready to go into the Viscous/electric fan conversion. It will eat deep into my savings for the 605. I will concentrate first on the O2 sensor matter.

Ikenna.

15735 Is the Bosch universal 02 sensor # you can buy them here for about $55 USD

Nick. thanks. I would love to buy one, but I the car dosent have where to bolt it on if bought for now. so until I get that sorted out, purchasing the sensor will have to waite for now. But honestly, the high thristy of the car is driving me nuts, even though the harness issue has been sorted out.

Ikenna.

Hi Ikenna

Regarding your radiator and cooling, I agree with Rabin and others on optimizing the cooling for you car. Some the practises in Nigeria are not based on science and in the end will cost you money in terms of fuel economy and wear and tear on your car. Are you able to get new thermostats that have different temp ranges? The radiator cap is also an item that needs to be checked and changed with a new one. My feeling is that the cost or availability of new OEM parts such as the viscous fan, thermostat, and radiator cap forces people to make alterations when those parts wear out. If that is the issue my suggestion is to relocate the battery to the trunk which would allow you to run a larger radiator, add two electrical fans on the engine side so that it pulls the air not push, and add a shroud. There are some good points on the Griffin website explaining these points.

http://www.griffinrad.com/tips.cfm

Arun

@ Arun. I would rather go for Electric fan conversion than trying to fix the Viscous fan problem, like you suggested. There wont be need to change the radiator to a bigger one. Mercedes Electric fans are big enough to do the work without even making it two for the radiator. As soon as am ready for the conversion, I will go to a Mercedes shop and purchase either used or new fan with shroud.

I will be travelling with the 505 to Anambra state, Eastern part of the country, where I grew up, to visit my parents this weekend , which is about 7 hrs hi speed journey. My office annual leave is starting this weekend. So about an hour ago this morning, i went and bought new Universal Bosch 4 wire oxygen sensor ($49) & also bought a cut exhaust pipe that has the opening where the sensor will be bolt in. I will soon take it to a Panel beater to weld in the pipe on the exhaust in my car. Then i will fix and connect the sensor. Will update you guys as soon as the work is done.

Below are the pics of the items.

Ikenna

post-856-0-11401400-1314792582_thumb.jpg

post-856-0-06276400-1314792714_thumb.jpg

Make sure they don't weld in the whole pipe - just the a small section of it that has the O2 bung is all that is needed. Here they sell the O2 fitting (bung) separate and it can be welded into any pipe you want.

Good luck with the O2 - I hope it's a major step in getting your car fixed.

Rabin

What a day!

Anyway, the welder did his job which took the rest of the day. And the sensor was screwed in, as you can see in the pic. I hurriedly did the wiring connection of the sensor, since it was almost night. Since the connector differs, i cut the 4 wires & joined/twisted them according to the funtions of the wires.I started the day & didnt see or feel any difference. I took it for test drive & it was hesistating & jerking/stumbling. I was disappointed. I just drove it home like that. I got home & decided to disconnect the sensor, to have a piece of mind. When i was doing the disconnection, I realised that the signal wire of the sensor (black) was loosed. Likewise one of the wires of MAF (i guess it got loosed when I was pulling out the sensor wire to connect after welder has done the welding job) was loosed as well. They could be the cause. But i still disconnected the sensor & drove it. The jerking was no longer happening. I was so tired that i decided to let it go till another day. If eventually the problem persist after connecting the sensor again, then its a waste of money. And also, it will then be ECU problem. Period. What a car! Worst case, I will travel with the car like that. It succeed in bringing me back, I will quickly pack it. Poor me!

Ikenna

post-856-0-31820600-1314813512_thumb.jpg

oh! i forgot to mention how i did the connection,

Universal Bosch 4 wire O2 sensor:

1. Black wire : signal wire to ECU.

2. Grey: Ground wire from ECU

3. 2 white wires: Heater wires (both positive & negative).

I believe the connection was not wrong.

Ikenna

I don't think this was a waste if you want to fix your car. Your car needs a functioning O2 sensor, and it didn't have one. You now have one and can now work on the next step. Without addressing the issues your car will never work.

Connections look right, but twisting the wires is the wrong way. You should at least crimp them together with a connector, and tape them up. One suggestion is to reverse the two white wires - I've read that this can sometimes make a difference. Also - make sure that the grounds are in fact grounds with your multimeter, and that the + from the relay is giving 12v when it's running.

Rabin

After encouragement from Arun & Rabin today, I went back & reconnected the O2 sensor. After the reconnection I started the car & it was still doing the same. I touched/shifted MAF plug & the whole issue just stopped: black smoke, rough idling & hunting. I took it for a test & it was no longer jerking, was pulling fine. Though, one can still see a little black smoke at heavy acceleration, but its very small compared to what it was throwing out of the exhaust before i touched the MAF plug. Now its good to start the work it came for: long distance hispeed drive. It was the reason I purchased it in the first place, considering the nature of our hiways. She is a perfect match for Nigerian Hiways. Sharp quick accelerating car it is. Notwithstanding what i have through with that car, I cant deny that fact. The engine torque is huge that one dosent need to hard accelerate to gain hi speed. A little touch on the throttle pedal: it zooms off like rocket.

So it appers MAF or its plug has been the culprit. I will work on that as soon as return from the journey which i will set out next tomorrow, Saturday. Will update you guys.

Ikenna

Like I said I would do, I travelled last week SaturdaY, 03/09/2011, & returned today this afternoon. My 505 V6 was the means transportion, driven by myself. It was very surprising that the car didnt even cough on the whole trip. It never developed any problem on while going, likewise while coming back. It was a hot high speed 7 hrs driving, with A/C on, at 140 -150 kph (86-93mph). The road handling of the car at that speed was marvelous, perfect! Likewise the acceleration. It was soooo good. It takes seconds to overtake a long queue of about 3 or 4 Lorries & long heavy trucks. Its really serving the purpose it was bought for. Quick acceleration on our dangerous high ways. I really enjoyed the driving on the trip. It was fun!

The trip was 1,329 km (826 miles). I calculate the fuel on the first day journey & it took 120 litrres (32 gallons), which was 532km (331 miles). I calculated the mpg & it gave me 16.63 (17mpg). With the A/C on & at 93mph, i believe it would done better if the black smoke has been sorted out. Though the smoke now is vey small. In fact it only comes out a little now at heavy acceleration. At least, it now has O2 sensor. But my concern is not the thirsty of the car which was expecting anyway, but the fuel dilution of engine oil in the sump. When i first reached my destination on Saturday, my parents house,I allowed the engine cool overnight, I checked the oil level the next day & it was where it was before i drove off that Saturday. Today again, I arrived this afternoon, allowed the engine to cool & the oil to settle in the sump for about 3 hrs. I just finished checking the oil level & again, it didnt increase & i didnt smell any fuel. Am so happy now. At least, the major issue with the car is no more. Though, i will still check it tomorrow to confirm what i just saw, to be sure. I can live with it running rich for, pending when its sorted out.

I could tell on the occupants faces of the vehicles I was overtaken on the journey, that were wondering how come such a 505 exist, that it could run past their brand new cars. On 3 or 4 police check points, they stopped me & asked me to park by the side of the road. Only for them to come up to tell me "sorry, i stopped you because i want to really see very well, such a good looking 505". One even told me seeing my 505, how clean it is, he just fall in love with it & would like to have one. You can imagine how proud I was when police stopped me just to admire my car, nothwithstanding that 505 has been in existance in nigeria since eary '80s.

It was a safe smooth journey/trip. And to crown it all, it was fun, very fun!

Ikenna.

I forgot to mention that the welding job i did on the Viscous fan couplin (locking the fan to the engine/water pump) also contributes to the car running rich. Though the car is quick in acceleration, but no longer as qucik as it used to when the Viscous fan was working (before i locked the fan). It takes longer than it used to gain speed. The harsh sound of the engine now is now to tell that the fan is aspping some power from it. The only way out is electric conversion. Its already on my to-do list. It will be an expensive project. So it will have to be delayed till i can afford that.

Ikenna

Well done Ikenna - I was VERY happy to hear your trip went so well!

And 17 mpg, at ~80 mph, with a locked fan isn't bad at all... The PRV is known for being a bit thirsty, so it's not far off ideal mpg if everything was working as it should - so you're really close to having it fully functional I think.

BTW - did you happen to take any pictures of the car during your trip?

Rabin

I was looking at the numbers you provided, and if they're correct you only got around 22.94L/100km.

523Km using 120 L = 22.94L/100km = 10.25 mpg (US) / 12.3 mpg (IMP)

Still not bad, and not enough to dilute the oil like you mentioned. I still think you're very close though, but just wanted to make the correction.

Electric fans and sorting the last of the issues should get you to at least 10L/100km at a constant 100 kph when everything is right. Hard to say what your mileage reflects because it all depends on what kind of a drive that was. If there was lots of passing with lots of wide open throttle - that could be good mileage. Maintaining 93 mph, and over a long range like that - not so bad at all, and maybe not that much different than what a correct 505 V6 would get.

Any V6 guys care to comment on the economy Ikenna got?

Rabin

@ Rabin. I planned to take pics while on the high ways, but it was unfortunate that i was alone in the car, driving the car. I couldnt have taken the pics while the car is in motion. The only times i stopped the car were at filling stations, to refill fuel tank & continue on the journey, & also at Police check points. At these few places, the car was constantly on high speed for the rest of the journeys. The highways are actually forest, no inhabitants. Just forests. Only very few towns were passed & the journeys were continued on non-stop hours of high speed. The high ways here are not safe for one to stop, park by the road side to take pics. If care is not taken, the car might seize to be mine (armed robbers) in a situation like that. Thats why we speed alot on our hiways, with a matching car, notwithstanding the dangerous nature of the roads (potholes). But i took the pic of the car when i arrived the East, in my Parents compound, who have both retired & now relocated from the city to our village house, built by my dad. The buildings surrounding my car in the pic are the houses. There is another, a bungalow, the pic didnt cover. The other two pics are the pic of my dads old 505 S1 & its engine (XN1), which i used before i left them to Abuja for work. From the pic, you can see that the car is already a junk. Since 2008 i left, no one could use & maintain the car. So it has rusted & is gone. It used to be '77 model 504 GL, until I personally converted it to 505.i.e. 505 body but 504 mechanicals.

OBSERVATIONS:

On the trip, I realised how good 505 is with regards to road handling. Like i noted earlier, our high ways are not meant for every cars to ply on. Because of the nature, we speed notwitstanding potholes/gullies on them here & there. If one decides not to speed, then he ends up spending 2 days on a journey that should take 6 or 7 hrs. Not every car can be speeding 160 kph & swerve to dodge or steer sharply from a gully on the road. I followed some few cars I met on the journey behind, to know how good they were in road handling. Toyota is a nightmare when it comes to turning sharply to steer away from pot hole on speed. I was following one 2001 Toyota Camry model behind & seeing what it was doing, it was very scary. Each time it hit a brake or turn sharply or jump a pot hole, the tail would lift up so high as if it has no atom of weight behind. Sometimes, when it turn sharply to escape pot hole, the tail will completely lift up, together with one of the rear tyres. Every weight of the car is in the front, the rear is just as empty & weightless that you could imagine. I became so frightened that i couldnt watch it anymore, i added speed, overtook it & continue on the journey & never looked back. Its like travelling with such car on our high ways is a suicide mission. Mine was always predictable. No matter how i braked it or steered it on the high way, it would remained stable. The tail would always follow the front as i steered sharply it on the high speed. I might sound bias because i own a 505, but what i saw with most of the FWD cars doing on those roads was frightening, very frightening. Even 406 was spared. Yes it handled better than most of the FWD i saw, but it would behave somehow at times, when it sharply steer. Only 407 remained stabled at such sitaution. I was surprised that 407, instead of 406 that looks solid, performed better in this situation. Its now very obvious to me that no matter how quick in acceleration, nice, beautiful or comfortable the modern FWD cars are, RWD cars beats them hands down, when it comes to good road handling on peculiar high ways like ours. I have come to realise that what matters on high ways is not how fuel efficient or fast a vehicle is, but how safe the car is for the occupants. AM A PROUD OWNER OF PEUGEOT 505!.

I have heard about how good 205 & 605 are when it comes to road handling. Even though they are FWD, but records have proved that they are so far one of the FWD vehicles that handles well like RWD, including the benefits of FWD. I will have to find out myself in future. But one thing is clear, you wont really appreciate the worth or value of what you have until it seize to be yours!

Ikenna.

post-856-0-96610900-1315486943_thumb.jpg

post-856-0-03844800-1315487438_thumb.jpg

post-856-0-88724900-1315487668_thumb.jpg

I forgot to mention that on my way back yesterday, half way the Journey, I was following a truck behind, waiting to get a clearer view to overtake. Then, from no where, an object flew and hit my windsheild/windscreen. Immediately, it I saw a small cracked line on the screen. I wouldnt know if it was a stone that fell off from the truck or shot from the truck tyre. This morning, the cracked has increased, meaning that the windscreen will have to go soon. Though, I have been seeing a lot cars with long crack on the windscreen & none has broken. Will cross my fingers!

Ikenna.

post-856-0-95899400-1315491358_thumb.jpg

that's great news ikenna, i'm glad to hear that your trip went well (cracked windshield notwithstanding).

it sounds like africa is a difficult environment for cars and drivers. with regard to the police checkpoints -- what is it that they are checking for?

andré

They look out for up to date vehicle papers, drivers Licence, etc. You know, here in Nigeria, Vehicle particulars/Licences are renewed annually, which are not free. likewise the Drivers Licence. The Drivers Licence is renewed every 3 years here, which very is annoying.

ikenna

I forgot to mention that on my way back yesterday, half way the Journey, I was following a truck behind, waiting to get a clearer view to overtake. Then, from no where, an object flew and hit my windsheild/windscreen. Immediately, it I saw a small cracked line on the screen. I wouldnt know if it was a stone that fell off from the truck or shot from the truck tyre. This morning, the cracked has increased, meaning that the windscreen will have to go soon. Though, I have been seeing a lot cars with long crack on the windscreen & none has broken. Will cross my fingers!

Ikenna.

Here the glass shops will drill the ends of the crack to stop it's progress. If the crack is less than 15cm they can also fill it in just like they do for stone bruises.

When I got my 89' I had 5 stone bruises done, and last summer I had a NASTY stone impact done as well. Glass here is rare though - I suspect you'll have access to a ready supply.

Thanks for the pictures too! Reminds me a lot of my trip to India in 2006. :)

Rabin