Does anyone recognize this car?

Seen today at Westside Motors (Westside Peugeot) in Santa Monica, CA

post-773-1291961338.jpgpost-773-1291961669.jpg

Sorry for the crappy quality, I took this with my phone

It's hard to see in the photos, but the license plate says "TURBEOT" -- is this Victor Van Tress's car?

Andre

Andrethx,

I thought West Side Peugeot closed. It used to be on the corner of Broadway and 11th? I believe?

Andrethx,

I thought West Side Peugeot closed. It used to be on the corner of Broadway and 11th? I believe?

It may have been there at some point, but more recently, it was on Lincoln between Broadway and Santa Monica Blvd. I used to pass by there all the time before I got bitten by the Peugeot bug, and I remember seeing the Peugeot sign and thinking, "I thought those guys left the US a long time ago."

I had lurked in the forum for a while before I joined, and right after I first started reading, a new member posted asking about Peugeot mechanics in LA. Some members indicated that they had bad experiences with Westside Peugeot, but since it was so close to me, I made a mental note to go by and check it out at some point.

Yesterday my work took me near the Westside Peugeot location -- when I stopped there, I found a massive construction site, with WP nowhere to be seen. I looked them up on google, that address was still listed so I called the phone number. The guy who answered indicated that they had moved to 813 Michigan. Basically, you head south on Lincoln until you pass the 10 freeway -- Michigan is the first street, you turn left and there you are. It's about a half-mile from the other location.

I was going to take a picture of the outside of the shop for the forum, but it's really unremarkable. Just imagine a two-bay repair shop made of cinderblock painted white with "Westside Motors" painted on the outside. They apparently do smog testing, since there are a bunch of CA state signs. If I had passed by the shop at random, I would have thought they were a smog testing shop (many of those around LA). When I got there, amidst the smog-testing equipment, I saw a Peugeot display case (filled with random, non-Peugeot crap) that indicated to me that I had found the right place.

I talked to the guy running the shop, his name was Dono. I told him I planned to buy a car in the next few months, so we talked about 505s. While we were talking, I saw Victor's red turbo out back so I snapped a couple of pics. You've all heard the phrase "pictures don't do it justice" many times, but I gotta say, pictures don't do it justice (especially my pictures). The car looks about 2 or 3 years old, and it has 97k on the odometer. The engine compartment is immaculate. The enclosed area where it was parked was tiny such that I couldn't back up far enough with my phone camera to get a properly composed shot. There were no other Peugeots around, but there was a Lexus up on a rack in one of the bays.

Andre

haha yep, that's deuce.

I wanna see red, to make me feel better about my black turbo air dam :)

Here are some noob questions for you, relating to your car and Victor's.

I hadn't noticed until you mentioned it, but now I see clearly that your air dam is black and Victor's is red (body-color). What accounts for this difference?

Also, I have noticed that some of the later-model 505s that are higher-line models have the fiberglass bumper cover with the integral air dam, like the gray STX in the picture that nick@nite posted today. Which cars have this?

Also, which models have the rear spoiler (like Victor's car) and which have the larger "wing?" Was the "wing" a track-only thing that some people have put on street cars?

Andre

only the 89 sedans have the late 'european style' bumpers, which have the integral air dams, as you mentioned. they were available up to the 92? 505 wagons, which were sold in the US.

my car came with the skimpy 505 STI, or early to 88 model air dam. It was for the N/A cars only. I had one lying around in my grandparents tool shed, so I prepped it, and painted it flat-black. Thought it'd give a '80s' look to the car, and victors main car, which won all the races back in the late 80s, has the black airdam too. "red" was originally another color, and the car was repainted. I think that when my car goes in for the bodywork and full repaint, I'll have it color matched. But for now, it's cool.

The wing on my car currently and vic's cars were standard on all 85-88 turbos, and 88 V6's.

The 89' cars had the wing, the spoilers were on 85 - 88 505 Turbo's as were the front air dams that Rob has on his car.

89' was the last and only year for the euro tails, and the body kit - and even the body kit was USA only at the time. It looks like the Argentinian 505's used the same body kit in later years though. (VVT installed the 89' tails on "Deuce" the 88' 505 turbo you pictured.) Late 87' to 89' also got ABS brakes. I always thought I'd swap back to non-abs if given the chance, but after experiencing how good they are - I'd spend big money to keep them fully functional. They are fantastic in winter - some of the best I've experienced - and that includes new cars.

It is said that only 14 89' 505 Turbo 5-sp's were imported to N' America - the silver one for sale was a dealer conversion using new parts at the time - so it still makes for a very rare car.

FWIW - I didn't like the rear wing on the 89. It was overly bulky, not aerodynamic at all, and just plain heavy. I also have issues with the rear bumper skirt as I found it was excessively deep, and when on a black car it was almost too much. My car already sports a new wing, and I've modded the rear bumper to look a bit cleaner - and it turned out awesome! Can wait to install the side skirts and bumpers now - but I'm tempted to wait till closer to spring so they stay pristine before the appraisal.

I know I should post pics - but I'm gonna hold off for a better "unveiling" once it's all assembled.

Rabin

• 2 months later...

Well, I never got any notification of this thread so now 2 months later (Deuce has 101,000 miles now) the '89 tail lights are a regular printed circuit board (as opposed to the card board used in the earlier one) and are more reliable. The original hole the wiring comes through was round but when cut out of the newer tail lights all you got to do is change the connector. Voila. They look better. too I think.

Red's air dam? As red was converted into a V6 for the commercial (including a pin stripped sun roof) I had to buy a Turbo front valance and never got around to painting it (as you can see in this photo).

post-137-1298872450.jpg

post-137-1298872693.jpg

aw cmon, i wanna see the modded rear bumper!

The 89' cars had the wing, the spoilers were on 85 - 88 505 Turbo's as were the front air dams that Rob has on his car.

89' was the last and only year for the euro tails, and the body kit - and even the body kit was USA only at the time. It looks like the Argentinian 505's used the same body kit in later years though. (VVT installed the 89' tails on "Deuce" the 88' 505 turbo you pictured.) Late 87' to 89' also got ABS brakes. I always thought I'd swap back to non-abs if given the chance, but after experiencing how good they are - I'd spend big money to keep them fully functional. They are fantastic in winter - some of the best I've experienced - and that includes new cars.

It is said that only 14 89' 505 Turbo 5-sp's were imported to N' America - the silver one for sale was a dealer conversion using new parts at the time - so it still makes for a very rare car.

FWIW - I didn't like the rear wing on the 89. It was overly bulky, not aerodynamic at all, and just plain heavy. I also have issues with the rear bumper skirt as I found it was excessively deep, and when on a black car it was almost too much. My car already sports a new wing, and I've modded the rear bumper to look a bit cleaner - and it turned out awesome! Can wait to install the side skirts and bumpers now - but I'm tempted to wait till closer to spring so they stay pristine before the appraisal.

I know I should post pics - but I'm gonna hold off for a better "unveiling" once it's all assembled.

Rabin

aw cmon, i wanna see the modded rear bumper!

Sorry - I ain't getting mounted it 'til spring, and I may even wait till the whole car is resprayed before even doing that...

All I did though was remove the bottom 2" from the bottom - up to the lower body line. Looks pretty cool - but is also quite subtle.

Rabin