Stereo system update

• 2 weeks later...

how do you get to the front kick panel speakers? I havent found any screws or anything there.

The plastic piece at the sill which covers the wires and seal: pull up and relocate. Pull off the seal/weatherstrip. The plastic piece on which the speaker mounts should be loose now and can be removed. One side might have a screw.

Install is reverse of remove.

• 3 weeks later...

yep, bill beat me to it. what are you plans for the stereo? Upgrades? LMK what you go for as of speakers. I'm needing to redo my speakers: they were the one thing I ignored while I did the headunit, subs, and amp. Happy motoring!

Hey NorCal you could get incredible sound quality outta some pioners 8.5 ND Subs without sacrificing trunk space. I have one as thats all that I need under the passenger front seat and it gets those deep rich bass tones that I need. I have 2 6x9 coaxials in the rear desk shelf behind my seat had speaker moduals fitted to the desk shelf for cheap 25 for a pair it eleaviates any cutting and excessive drilling...mid ranges in the to rear doors and front kick panels in the front floor board and tweeters in the dash up by the windshield. All speakers except the Sub under the front seat which is Pioneer, are JBL. They arent cheap by any means but produce one hell of concert quality sound. All are tied together with a digital 9 channel alpine amp. My deck is alpine as well.

Hey NorCal you could get incredible sound quality outta some pioners 8.5 ND Subs without sacrificing trunk space. I have one as thats all that I need under the passenger front seat and it gets those deep rich bass tones that I need. I have 2 6x9 coaxials in the rear desk shelf behind my seat had speaker moduals fitted to the desk shelf for cheap 25 for a pair it eleaviates any cutting and excessive drilling...mid ranges in the to rear doors and front kick panels in the front floor board and tweeters in the dash up by the windshield. All speakers except the Sub under the front seat which is Pioneer, are JBL. They arent cheap by any means but produce one hell of concert quality sound. All are tied together with a digital 9 channel alpine amp. My deck is alpine as well.

FWIW, current Peugeot cars have JBL sound systems, so JBL is somewhat "authentic"

Pushgo - 9 channel amp? I've only heard of 9 channel home audio amps... Can you describe how everything is driven? Did you set it up with a THX set up?

I inherited the system August had set up in the 89', and have since replaced the Boston Acoustic components in the back with some 5.25" JL Audio coaxial speakers for the rear deck that fit the stock speaker housings with some modification. I also picked up a matching Soundstream Van Gogh sub amp to match the 4 channel Van Gogh that was running the speakers. Trouble is the amps and the 2x 10" subs in the box weigh a freakin ton! I'd like to get a more compact 5 channel amp for the 89 to run the speakers and really like the idea of a small sub under the seat rather than something eating trunk space or rear deck space. I'll have to check out the pioneer as well... (I put an Infinity 10" powered sub in the V70R and it works great)

Since I have a 505 TD wagon now - I figure the sound stream amps and the subs can easily go into that. Much better / bigger space for getting a little bit crazier with the sound system. The Boston Acoustic components from the 89' will go in the front of the wagon. Seem like nice speakers as well - so will likely try to match them when completing the car.

I'm cheap when it comes to stereo's so will likely do it with used stuff found locally, or e-bay... :)

Rabin

Pushgo - 9 channel amp? I've only heard of 9 channel home audio amps... Can you describe how everything is driven? Did you set it up with a THX set up?

I inherited the system August had set up in the 89', and have since replaced the Boston Acoustic components in the back with some 5.25" JL Audio coaxial speakers for the rear deck that fit the stock speaker housings with some modification. I also picked up a matching Soundstream Van Gogh sub amp to match the 4 channel Van Gogh that was running the speakers. Trouble is the amps and the 2x 10" subs in the box weigh a freakin ton! I'd like to get a more compact 5 channel amp for the 89 to run the speakers and really like the idea of a small sub under the seat rather than something eating trunk space or rear deck space. I'll have to check out the pioneer as well... (I put an Infinity 10" powered sub in the V70R and it works great)

Since I have a 505 TD wagon now - I figure the sound stream amps and the subs can easily go into that. Much better / bigger space for getting a little bit crazier with the sound system. The Boston Acoustic components from the 89' will go in the front of the wagon. Seem like nice speakers as well - so will likely try to match them when completing the car.

I'm cheap when it comes to stereo's so will likely do it with used stuff found locally, or e-bay... :)

Rabin

Hey Bean, Sorry I just read my earlier message and I made a typo i am getting used to typing on the IPhone from a black berry. Meant to say my amp is a 5 channel digital. :) oops I have the sub on its own channel and the mids and tweeters on another channel and the 6x9 coaxials on another amp. my deck has a separate control for sub bass control. I am contemplating putting the sub on a separate amp from the rest of the speakers that way I can individually adjust the volume and sound from each channel for tweeters and Mid, and Coaxials. but that may come later. For me the richness of the bass that I get from the small 8.5 ND Sub under the passenger my uncle just bought a 2011 Audi S4 with the 600 watt Bang And Oflson sound system and he says the clairity of my stereo surpasses his.

I would think that you should be able to adjust sub volume with your existing amp as it should have 3 sets of RCA inputs, and the deck should have 3 sets of RCA outs. (Front, Rear, and Sub)...

I would hope the avmp had the same inputs so that when the deck varies the signal output on the Sub RCA's that should vary the output on the sub channel...

'Course - I've never used a 5 channel - it's just what I would expect...

Rabin

I would think that you should be able to adjust sub volume with your existing amp as it should have 3 sets of RCA inputs, and the deck should have 3 sets of RCA outs. (Front, Rear, and Sub)...

I would hope the avmp had the same inputs so that when the deck varies the signal output on the Sub RCA's that should vary the output on the sub channel...

'Course - I've never used a 5 channel - it's just what I would expect...

Rabin

The reason why I have each type of speakers set up on different channels i.e sub on separate, tweeters on separate, etc...is becuz my deck has electronic sub bass control built into it. And if i need to take out or add in more bass I can do all from my deck. it just provides a more clearer sound that I am looking for setting it up that way. :)

The reason why I have each type of speakers set up on different channels i.e sub on separate, tweeters on separate, etc...is becuz my deck has electronic sub bass control built into it. And if i need to take out or add in more bass I can do all from my deck. it just provides a more clearer sound that I am looking for setting it up that way. :)

Sorry - but my point was that you shouldn't need to change amps since your head unit already does sub output control... My head unit does the same thing - it just changes the output levels of the sub RCA's...

So as long as your sub has it's own channel it should work like you want it to already...

Or did I miss something?

Rabin

Sorry - but my point was that you shouldn't need to change amps since your head unit already does sub output control... My head unit does the same thing - it just changes the output levels of the sub RCA's...

So as long as your sub has it's own channel it should work like you want it to already...

Or did I miss something?

Rabin

i wanted to boost my sound and clarity. Thats why I've set it up that way....I'm happy with the way it sounds and I suppose thats what MOST important right?

• 3 weeks later...

wow, well, i'm glad this thread spun off into such an audio discussion....i never did swap my front speakers haha

cant pull off the plastic trim, im afraid to pull too hard and snap something. i replaced the rears with some 5.25 pioneers (after my gf talked me out of cutting up the rear shelf to put my 6x9s) and the sound is...well. u kno how it is. meh.

i might be trading my old girl in tho, so im leaving the stereo as is for now.

i replaced the rears with some 5.25 pioneers (after my gf talked me out of cutting up the rear shelf to put my 6x9s) and the sound is...well. u kno how it is. meh.

i might be trading my old girl in tho, so im leaving the stereo as is for now.

Wow - just 'cause she talked you out of 6x9's? I'd give her another chance... :)

If you decide to keep the car, you're better off with the 5.25's and a powered sub of come kind. I have a 10" Infinity that worked great, and a buddy just had a bazooka tube in his WRX and it did the job nicely. WAY better bass response than any free air 6x9's would give for sure.

BTW - I wouldn't bother trading in the 505 - the money they give you for the car will be worked into the price of the car you get. Better off selling it for scrap steel than take the so called trade in value... (I worked in a dealership for years...) (That is if they even take it...)

EDIT: Just noticed your other post about checking out another Peugeot... The above is moot if you're trading up into a nicer Peugeot... :)

Rabin

hey bean, i know i dont post much (i only recently signed up and joined the yahoo list, so ive been reading the archives and searching for every topic imaginable when i have time), but trust me, i'm as sick about 505s as you are haha...i wouldnt swap my old girl for some new car. blah! (and yeah, i realized the "gf" and "trading old girl" in my post and figured i'd leave it for someone to make a joke on hehe). I'm biased towards older cars anyway, but 505s are honestly not far off from the ride and comfort of modern luxury cars. With a couple updates, i think a 505 is a stellar luxo-cruiser. that can still be thrown around a highway offramp and keep her french lady composure.

anyway i dont wanna post the car im looking at, in case somebody on here snaps her up b4 i do...its THAT good a deal haha. im on the verge of spilling the beans the more i type. I'll post about it saturday night or sunday after i see the car in person, and if i pass on the car, i will definitely bring it to the forums attention. its a great model with a great owner/history.

and if i take the car, well, that will be a nice post (albeit a brag-post!) as well

as for stereo, yeah, i dont wanna lose any more trunk space than she already has(n't); If i had the time, i'd look into moving the gas tank under the trunk like the euro models had. Right now besides work, my main focus is trying to get my camaro back on the road b4 snow hits us. (i got sidetracked into this possible peugeot trade while looking for cars for my friend - got him into an 86 vw cabrio)

also, might as well say it since im itching to anyway - i'll be scoping out ramsey peugeot (the old dealer in nj) - just from phone conversations, i can see theyre pretty old school and behind the times. I'm gonna propose doing a website for them or something - they have loads of parts just sitting there, and incredible expertise from what ive heard first-person and from random reviews on various sites i found via google. look up "ramsey peugeot alberto" (although this "find" of mine may be old news, im sure someone in the yahoo list or here may have mentioned his name b4)

I checked out the pictures on Peugeot-L - your car looks great!

Only thing better would be to get into one of the premium 505's, or a 5-sp STI... The 3-sp cars kill a large part of how good these cars can be. If you must have an auto - the 86+ cars have a 4-sp auto which is MUCH better.

Rabin

ah, thanks dude! (about the pics)

and yeah, my 3spd is really my only hangup about my pug. i dont mind the automatic, but i think the 3 spd really hampers the already, uhm, not-performance-oriented XN6.

what would be a premium 505? u mean a turbo? perhaps a turbo 5spd? an 88 turbo 5 spd? an 88 turbo 5spd with one owner and bought new at ramsey peugeot and serviced there its entire life, and known inside out by a mechanic who's worked there just as long? yeah, that sounds pretty premium......*big grin*

i knew i wouldnt be able to keep my mouth shut til saturday.

Damn that was funny! Thanks Omar... :)

And yes - an 88' 505 Turbo 5-sp is definitely near the very top of the heap when it comes to premium 505's... One with proper maintenance and kept in good nick is a VERY rare car indeed and I wouldn't hesitate in saying it'll be one of the best cars you've ever driven if it's in good shape...

You're WAY farther ahead to pay a decent price for a cherry car, then to get a bargain on a fixer upper...

Good luck Saturday and make sure you have pics to post if / when you announce you bought it.

Rabin

I would never consider hijacking this thread, however, I installed new speakers in the front of the '89 V6 I picked up last spring. I can not attest to the virginity of the wiring, but the radio sounds out of phase.

I remember reading about the use of 2-way speakers in the front (which is what I installed) and possible associated problems. Can anyone here fill me in?

Thanks.

Bill

If you have some of the factory wiring left, you can deduce the correct polarity for the speakers (+,-). Then, you can match it up with the speakers you bought. If the speakers don't have + and - terminal markings, you can get one that does just for tests and hook a 1.5v AA battery up to both terminals. I think + is positive and the cone will go out. If that's correct, and you'll have to test it if you don't know. I always just test it on the spot as I haven't cleared any brain cells for memorizing such an item.

It's something I always do when installing new speakers. It can take a bit of time to do, but it's worth it.