gas fumes

swept

Hello all, I am hoping someone can give me a few pointers...gas turbo 505, running poorly when cold, okay when warm, has very strong fuel smell in cabin when engine is running. I followed the fuel lines under the car looking for leaks but it appears to be dry. Tank in the trunk also appears to be dry...not seeing any wetness anywhere. engine bay also looks clean. if the car is running too rich is it possible for the cabin to smell like fuel? thanks from a rookie

two things to check:

1) fuel vapor vent valve on top of tank -- the valve could be blocked, and/or lines leading up to it could be cracked (releasing fumes)

2) fuel vapor canister in engine compartment -- sometimes the plastic on these cracks, and/or lines leading up to it could be cracked. both would release fumes

andré

What Andre said...

Bill - I regularly fill my tank until I can see the level with no fumes at all - my guess is your tank vent lines or something similar.

Why you ask? I often check mileage and I use the fill to ensure I refill to the same point each time.

Rabin

Oh, learn something new everyday. I didn't do any empirical testing, and I was basing my comments on what I have heard. Lots of gas stations have signs that say "Do not top off". I hate when they tell you to do something but don't tell you why.

-Bill

How is the gasket for intank fuel pump? Those created fuel fumes in three of my 405's. I oftten run in to (on forums) check this or check that with out giving folks real advise on how to actually test the failed component. So to answer your question correctly you would need to rent EVAP system smoke tester,since vehicle is too old to have canister close valve you will need to close vent tube,remove hose of purge valve (naturally always closed) and pressurize it at fuel fill and if there is any leaks the smoke will show you...

très facile. there is a panel in the rear of the trunk (as you stand behind the car with the trunk lid open), it's fiberboard covered in grey trunk upholstery material that matches the rest of the trunk. you just pull it out and voila, you have access to the fuel tank and the associated fuel lines.

andré