Giving a 405 Sport Wagon another chance

my3AWDgst

On 1/21/2016 at 9:53 PM, SRDT said:

Nice to see an original plipper, they are becoming hard to find even in France.

Yes that's a original plipper i have my original with the car but they are not very secure as they work on infrared and a universal TV remote can open the car,so i disconnect the sensor by the rear view mirror.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

About the oil temperature gauge do you know that it works like two gauges, engine off shows oil level via the oil sensor on the rear of the block, engine running shows oil temp, when i bought mine oil temp sensor wire was cut and stays in the middle, when i fix the wire started working correctly.

It cleaned up very well, the vacuum pump looks like the vacuum pumps on peugeot diesel engines, in my opinion really good idea, my car has strong brakes, but it takes too much effort on the brake pedal, i have felt that while braking if i downshift, engine makes more vacuum, i get more braking with less effort, on my father's diesel there is no difference with the vacuum pump and takes no effort to lock up all wheels, have you felt any difference.

beautiful! savo has put a lot of effort into this conversion, those of you who have followed this thread or seen his posts on the facebook group know how many setbacks he has persevered through! the last time i saw this engine, it was on the back of a truck, it looks much better now. :)

have you thought about retrofitting abs? also -- that pitting on the top of your radiator -- it's aluminum, a bit of scrubbing with 000 steel wool will clean that right off.

andré

ABS unit is too large and my engine bay won't look as clean. I removed cruise control as it was too large and looked too bulky,I think it looks way better with out it.

I cleaned up top of the radiator when engine was out but pitting came back from rain and moisture in the air. I'm thinking to order aluminum GTI6 radiator as this one is old and probably about to let go soon.

Savo there is a aftermarket radiator make ORDONEZ my father's car has it is in black color and is very good quality brass and copper core with plastic end tanks, that car has never overheated.

Ordonez was Peugeot's supplier, when my original Ordonez radiator was damaged i couldn't find a replacement one with copper core and ended with a cheap Valeo one, at least not as cheap as the first NRF that I returned to the vendor.

• 2 weeks later...

Fuel fume odor was present ever time I would fill it up even after I replaced F.P housing rubber gasket and hold down ring. I had same problem on my MI16 and I was suspecting same problem,cracked feed nipple where fuel feed hose is attached. I found two spare units but both had same cracks :-( 

It took me a month to fined NOS unit and Mike Aube had one. It got delivered yestrday but it has been damaged by USPS,by look of it looks like it has beed dropped or something heavy landed on it. I was very surprised that Mike shipped it in original box with out any protection which if it was used this could have been avoided.

Luckily fuel gauge plate tab and circuit board thingy broke and I was able to replace it out of my leaking unit. Also I end up swapping primer fuel pump as new one had a stamp 1990 and it was extremely noisy.Today was beautiful outside so I end up installing it before work,I'm pleased it's working great so far. Hopefully no more fuel fumes odors:-) however I'll need to fill it up few time to confirm. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Wagon has been down for two weeks now :-( do to electrical issue.

I was on the way to work when all the sudden interior lights and gauge cluster stopped working. Long story short with multi switch in park possition fuse A4 blows,route cause is wire 25D in connector P706A,pin B6. Once P706A is disconected fuse would not blow any longer,this 25D wire feeds little light bulbs in several switches,clock and radio illumination. I've disconected every related switch and connector and fuse would still blow with headlight switch in park position. I've peeled back electrical tape from P706A connector to top of dashboard to inspect for short to ground but I can't see anything further up dashboard,dashboard it self is on the way. At this point I stopped and left it alone for few days,today I got back to it and magically fuse stopped blowing which is what you do not want in electrical issues,I would hate to lose this car to electrical fire.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg.192a51988f648e325b4db40c388ee

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Securing the wires to the dashboard wasn't the best idea thet peugeot came out with, they did it differently on the series 2 405 and they do not have that many electrical issues, as for the troubles and anger founding the problem i know the pain, been there done that, as for the fix you may run some thicker insulation on the wires there because that wire is damaged by abrasion.

Yes Savo i know the feeling, i wanted a series 2 605 with the older 2.1 turbo diesel engine with full equipment, after looking for one for 3 years decided to get two, one series 1 2.1td rusty, and a full equipment series 2 3.0 v6 in good shape, made a engine and gearbox conversion and now i use it everyday, you may look in converting a series 1 to series 2, the body shop i use did one conversation, like that, they said the hardest part was changing the rear panel between the rear lights, everything else is easy.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my seats,floor mats and cargo shelf back from upholstery shop. With some reason seats look more red then they are,floor mats color is close to factory color and they fit great. They mimicked factory stitches and little pocket thingy on back of the seat. Overall I'm satisfied but I do wish seats were darker color close to factory color. 

Replacment heated seat elements came with low and high temperature settings which include additional switch to control it. I mounted switch on side of lower plastic cover where it's easy to access and change temperature to desire of occupant. I used power source from original wiring,once original heated switch is turned on it supplies power to replacment heated unit relay. With relay energized heated seats come to life with temperature adjustment on new switch that's mounted by side seat plastic trim. Simple and easy If I may say :-)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg