Importing vehicles to US

The short answer for that car is

"You can't, until next year"

The long answer is for cars newer than 25 years old you need paperwork from the manufacturer stating that the car conforms to all DOT and EPA standards for the USA (which that RS turbo most certainly does not) and to file paperwork with US customs upon entering the country with the car.

The form you need (among others):

https://docs.google.com/file/d/1F0SicukgNiqVTCZfW17SOufjhoU3GBJSh-UlHdWZDtUgbLlWkbCuAIHL8xi_/edit?usp=sharing

You could try to find what is called a "registered importer" to modify the car to meet US standards, but this is very expensive nowadays and not practical for affordable "normal" cars.

here's a chart car & driver did a year or two ago:

Car-import-placement_zps51468fbb.jpg

as i understand it, if you are importing an older car, there are importers that you can use (not the federalizer guys that nm1 and item #1 in the chart are referring to) who will do the paperwork, arrange transportation and help with customs, etc. but nm1 is right, for a car less than 25 years old, you are looking at a lot of expense & hassle. IIRC, the age of the car is based on the date of manufacture, not the model year designation.

andré

I got my DSM registered in CA county where is no SMOG :-)

Can you by chance please e-mail me the info on how you did that?

My buddy in Oakland with a m3 swapped e30 Bimmer is dying to do the same thing.

(He actually owns a DSM too) He's failed in front of the Alameda county state ref TWICE now.

Let me know!

Cheers,

Sina

Can you by chance please http://gmail.com/'>e-mail me the info on how you did that?

My buddy in Oakland with a m3 swapped e30 Bimmer is dying to do the same thing.

(He actually owns a DSM too) He's failed in front of the Alameda county state ref TWICE now.

Let me know!

Cheers,

Sina

I'm sorry but I was told not to share this info... Cough google...

well, there are two issues -- getting the car into the country and getting it titled and licensed. for us, savo, that second issue is the real killer because we live in california. i've read about all sorts of different ways around this, from semi-legal methods like title laundering to outright illegal methods like VIN swapping, but however you do this, it adds to the trouble/expense of doing this.

i've read in numerous places that the US is trying to work with the europeans and the japanese to harmonize automobile regulations, such that it will be easier for manufacturers to make cars that can be sold in more markets. if those come to pass, and the rules regarding importation of older vehicles do not change, we could find ourselves in a situation where one could buy new cars that are not as safe/fuel-efficient/highly-regulated as some older cars! that seems anti-consumer, to say the least...

andré

I recently imported a 25 year old Peugeot 205 GTI. It was pretty simple to get it titled and registered, however I now need to sell it due to financial committments. It is currently for sale on ebay, if anyone is interested. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Peugeot-205-GTI-1988-Peugeot-205-GTi-1-6-very-rare-registered-in-USA-restored-and-super-clean-/281153535415?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item41760e7db7&vxp=mtr

I recently imported a 25 year old Peugeot 205 GTI. It was pretty simple to get it titled and registered, however I now need to sell it due to financial committments. It is currently for sale on ebay, if anyone is interested. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Peugeot-205-GTI-1988-Peugeot-205-GTi-1-6-very-rare-registered-in-USA-restored-and-super-clean-/281153535415?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item41760e7db7&vxp=mtr

Did you use some other company to handle paperwork or you got it all done your self?

Good looking 205,GLW the sale.

Did you use some other company to handle paperwork or you got it all done your self?

Good looking 205,GLW the sale.

I did use a customs agent to handle the import paperwork, as this was the first time. However, I think if I was to do it again, I would probably just do the paperwork myself. It is not that complicated for a 25 year old car.