I get to test drive the 508 soon

Awesome! Thanks for the side by sides with the 505. Really shows some perspective on the size of the car.

I don't mind the looks all that much - but I have to admit the 505 wagon still looks stellar IMHO. Nice clean lines and I bet it has a TON more space inside.

Rabin

The 505 is tons better. The 508 wagons are used on the Tour de France by some teams and they're large and blobby. Not my cup of tea.....

I wonder if anyone has ever come up to its driver and said :geez I wish I could get one of those for myself.....

My guess: no! A Peugeot RCZ would definitely get that question.

• 2 months later...

The 508 is getting towed over from NY. We think it's the same sort of setup as the C6 Audi A6 problems with the steering control module go bad and then you cannot start the car or get it into drive. Someone is flying from Michigan to lend us a hand...

Damn that 508 hybrid I think would be nice but at $32K Euro.... You would be talking $50k USD.. Same as the VW Bluemotion

Engines: 2.0-litre turbodiesel plus electric motor, six-speed semi-auto transmission, four-wheel drive

Power: 200hp (diesel plus electric)

Torque: 331lb ft (diesel plus electric)

0-62mph: 9.0 seconds

Top speed: 130mph

MPG, combined: 78.5mpg

CO2, tax: 95g/km, 10%

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah that's just inexcusable. I drove my former 2005 smart 250,000 km in 8 years before it was rear ended and written off and in that time it had....ZERO electrical, engine, suspension or any other problems. And it was a cheap car! Peugeot has lost its way.

Peugeot has always had an issue with component suppliers dropping the ball on quality which then directly affects the perceived quality of the cars themselves.

Too bad really - but it really does happen to the best of cars, and is likely a result of the increased integration of electronic controls in all new cars.

The Smart is an incredibly simple, but well made car in comparison. Too bad they drive like the do or I'd own own myself.

They're not really that simple. ESP, ABS, 4 airbags. CANBus, 5 major computers linked on it. Electrically operated transaxle. My remaining smart has a BRABUS sport suspension and handles great. It is slow though. Faster than a 504 D! Much faster!

7355290736_63a44ee228_c.jpg

By simple I meant it as in the KISS principle. You can't build a car at that price point and have it overly complicated with a bunch of crap you don't need in it. It's beautifully designed and executed. Had they put in a proper 5-sp manual box I would have owned one for sure.

Handling was a little dodgy on our rutted crap roads, but the deal breaker was that stupid auto shifting transmission that sucked the fun out of driving the damn thing. I absolutely HATED the transmission shifts, and I never would have gotten used to it. I can handle slow cars that drive beautifully - but it was a slow car that made me cringe every shift. Always wondered why a proper 5-sp manual was never offered - or even a CVT - anything but that transmission.

Rabin

It's actually quite fun, with the paddle shifters. It even rev-matches on downshifts. The slow shifting is just part of the car's character. I too would have preferred a 6 speed manual but the 6 speed SMT is a lot better than a CVT. I've driven a few cars with CVTs (Mercedes B 200 and B 200T loaner cars) and they are truly dire.

• 6 months later...

The 508 is just in for an oil change service. A cool feature on the car when you lock the car. The side mirror automatic fold in so nobody takes out the mirrors...
At the end of the month Peter is buying his first 505 N9T. He fell in love with the Mint Silver 60K Cali sedan. We have to put a new a/c compressor and he wants the side pin stripe put on the car for the sale price of 7K. ;)

No I checked back 2 weeks later from the last discussion we all had and the flights started at $750....
As of right now PPIHC isn't looking very promising to be holding the race anyway for the 29th & 30th, due to the forest fires.
My father is leaving in a couple of hours to the Citroen and Peugeot car meet in the 508 and a good friend is driving #25. If I didn't have plans already for 2nite, I may drive down to Saratoga Springs for the meet in the blue 505 or maybe the Clean Burgandy 4hp22. ;)