GM buys 7% stake in PSA

andrethx

I would say this has HUGE potential...

I just can't say for certain if it's for success or failure at this point though. :D I'm hoping it allows GM to leverage Peugeot's small diesel engine technology to make a diesel electric hybrid available in North America, or even bring some of the cars here through the GM network. Hopefully that's the recipe for the 2016 car.

It could also go horribly wrong ala Saab and Peugeot will follow Saab into the Abyss.

I'm hoping for the first one. :)

Rabin

was this merger a good thing financially for Peugeot do to the need for money? In other words was Peugeot in financial turmoil? If so don't ever recall there were any such news. And I'd like to think that GM certainly learned its lesson with the strip mining of a company with good european heritage and just leaving a good thing alone. I think what GM tried to do was infuse European heritage into its company line up without any European flare besides using a well known name. So hopefully they will cross platforms used and designed by Peugeot in order to achieve what all other non European car makers strive to do, design a car with good euro handleing characteristics.

phil -- there have been news reports that PSA has been having financial difficulties. certainly, their recent departure from endurance racing spoke volumes. and GM is looking to work things out with their troubled Opel subsidiary. as i understand it, labor costs in western europe are just too high to make anything but high-end cars (MB, BMW, Audi)...look at the problems that the mid-level players have had (saab, volvo, psa). fiat and vw are a bit more geographically diversified, they make cars all over the place (not just western europe).

and as you said, the GM/Saab thing was just a disaster -- with GM essentially putting the Saab logo on all manner of crap (see-- trollblazer, saabaru, etc.).

but a few things give me hope about this:

1) saab was just about dead when GM bought them. while PSA has its troubles, it's much more of a viable entity at this point. additionally, GM's small stake doesn't give it any control, so they must work with PSA and can't just dictate everything.

2) PSA has great diesel tech, which GM needs (i read somewhere recently that they will be offering a diesel cruze in the US, with the engine coming from somewhere else).

3) since the bankruptcy, GM seems to be operating a bit more intelligently (remains to be seen how long this lasts)

so i'm going to hope for the best here...even if all we get is better GM cars and a PSA that survives into the future, that's a lot and okay by me...

andré

I read one article that PSA was on a burn rate that left it with 18 months left.

Everybody's promising more jobs in Europe. Both Opel and PSA. Either that break that pledge or the venture is doomed. There is a lot of overcapacity and no easy way to absorb it.

7% sure. That's not very much. But the devil is in the details.

Like most of you, I'm hoping for the best, but remain skeptical.

I think it could be bad news, but the good news is that Peugeot was a wallflower at the Prom and its biological clock was at 3 seconds to midnight (OK so I am not a good creative writer!)...... is it better to have some sort of partnership than it would be to totally run out of cash in early 2013? I think so, short-term.

The pullout from Les Vingt-Quatre Heures Du Mans was the wake-up call for me, I thought PSA was doing relatively OK until that happened. It reminded me of the retreat from North America. Which - I am convinced - is part of their problem even now; not selling luxury and sporty cars here with RWD platforms with a measure of success from 1991-2011 is what has led to their present dilemma. It is interesting to read PSA's own spokepeople saying that they need to "move upmarket", yeah like DUH, that's what many of us have been saying for decades. You can't make cheap econoboxes in France cheaply enough to compete with the Asian competition, so they ought to have done what VAG did, exactly. Make your Audis in the home country, some upmarket VWs too, make the cheap stuff in Mexico etc.....even Daimler has that one figured out.

• 2 months later...

While I agree that PSA has some very good diesel tech the problem is that GM tends to destroy everything it touches.

I wonder where the $ came from to invest? Seems to me it still hasn't paid back all the bailout bux yet.