Garbage Run

In Holland, the garbage run is organized anually. This is a "classic car" rally for people who don't have the money to buy a restaured Jaguar E-type or Bentley. It is to show that even virtually worthless cars can complete a 4000 miles rally though Europe in a week. It is encouraged to personalize or pimp your car.

I joined them in 2010 with my brother. Because there were many stages over mountainious terrain, I looked for a cheap car (obviously peugeot) with quite some power. Luckely I found a 87 505 V6 manual with over 200.000 miles but technically sound.

The route was from Holland through Germany, Poland, Czech repuhblic, Slowakia, Austria, Italia, Switzerland, France, Luxemburg and Belgium back to Holland.

My brother did the pimping and wel succeeded with kind of Peugeot Sport colours.

P7170801.jpg

P7170802.jpg

P7170808.jpg

At the start point, all cars were together and some strange creations were there!

First of all the other Peugeots:

405:

garbage008.jpg

garbage013.jpg

garbage012.jpg

205:

garbage009.jpg

605:

garbage011.jpg

But also this old type Citroen 2CV:

garbage014.jpg

A small car from eastern europe:

garbage015.jpg

This creation was really weird, but cool!

garbage024.jpg

These guys had a tent mounted on their roof:

garbage043.jpg

The karaoke van:

garbage050.jpg

DJ limo:

dag2-15.jpg

garbage054.jpg

garbage068.jpg

garbage069.jpg

No cooling problems for the 505 after welding the ventilator shut to the pulley:

garbage063.jpg

garbage060.jpg

The first Peugeot RCZ I saw in real life:

garbage061.jpg

Thanks for the replies.

Super cool... Awesome choice of car too Brownie!

Rabin

Yeah, first I was planning to do the journey in my 505 Break diesel because we could sleep easily in the back. But luckely this V6 came on my path, the extra power was very usefull during a mountain climb with 2 BMW 535i's (3.5liter 6 cylinder in line I believe). Dispite the 505 having 0.7 liter less engine, the Peugeot was easily the fastest on a hairpin climb!

Luckily a peugeot friend of me wanted to sell his V6, because here they are also very rare. Only 150 were sold Holland of which around 30 are left! Last year it completed the run again by another 505 lover, but with another design:

dag1-9.jpg

dag2-1.jpg

dag4-13.jpg

dag5-1.jpg

dag5-4.jpg

Great stickering with the "03 series lion" on the bonnet of the 405 by the way:

IMG_9088bew1.jpg

IMG_9073bew.jpg

More pictures of the 2011 edition made by the 405 driver here:

http://www.lion-rouge.com/reisverslag.html

Great cars and scenery. I wish things like this happened closer to where I live in the Midwest.

The tent on roof is an aftermarket item available in the US. That may have been a home-made unit but I've seen them on off road Jeeps, Range and Land Rovers, etc. They are cool articulated things that fold in half onto the roof rack, legs fold up and away you go. Off the grid camping/living is an interest of mine. I know, more weirdness....

Bryan

Great cars and scenery. I wish things like this happened closer to where I live in the Midwest.

The tent on roof is an aftermarket item available in the US. That may have been a home-made unit but I've seen them on off road Jeeps, Range and Land Rovers, etc. They are cool articulated things that fold in half onto the roof rack, legs fold up and away you go. Off the grid camping/living is an interest of mine. I know, more weirdness....

Bryan

Funny, I didn't know that. Practical indeed when camping in the middle of nowhere.

But in this case it is surely homebuilt. In Europe lots of people travel with a small trailer in which a tent is folded op, like on these Jeeps I suppose. These guys have just mounted such a trailer on the top of the roof of their Volvo 740 Estate. You can still see a wheel of the trailer above the middle side window. :D

• 8 months later...

This is flipping awesome. Here in the stated we have a racing series called the 24 hours of lemons. You gotta buy a car and set it up (minus safety equip) for under $500 and race in endurance races. Theres a bunch throughout the country, it's really cool, cars look alot of the same haha. Really awesome!

• 1 month later...

Very awesome! Those V6 505's with manuals truly are the holy grail. Love the look. My first car was a Peugeot 305, then a 405... and then I moved from the Netherlands to the states and have been driving a 05 mustang gt ever since. Still, I'd love to own a Peugeot again. Such an awesome ride quality, and I honestly believe the 405 is one of the best front wheel drive chassis ever created.

The 505's are more than 25 years old now, so legally importable from France! If I had the money...

Oh, by the way, I have a mad max fansite that I haven't updated in ages. If you have any high res pictures of that MFP 505 please tell me, I can give you my e-mail.

• 2 weeks later...

heres the pic i wanted to post - a pair of 405s from a 24 Hours of Lemons race earlier this year, in NJ (excluding safety equipment, tires, brakes, car cost must be $500 or less - though theres plenty of fudge-room heh)

0121-LNJ12-UG.jpg