1986 505 Turbo Automatic

nick@nite

My father went down to Staten Island this weekend. He just brought home the new edition to the family. A silver 86' 505 Turbo automatique Caliifornia car with no rust with 59K on it for $4800 it was on ebay last week. Just through it up on the lift OMG! This thing is clean... Though it looks like the headgasket is blown and is dripping a good amount of oil out from the left front corner by the timing cover. Some pic's to come

A/C is currently not working, Sunroof does work but not very well... Headgasket issue, wastgate seized aswell. The shop that had this listed were absolute shadeballs. Stereo sounds good, mats are in soso shape. BFG Traction T/A's are like new aswell. My father is keeping this

Very nice! So when you do the headgasket on this one are you going to use studs? And related, if you were to go with the studs, can you do that in-situ or does the engine have to come out? I'm going to have to do the headgasket on my 87 and am lining up what is necessary. Thanks much for your legwork on this!

Sweet ride. While you have the head off, change out the <=86 firewall rubber to 87=> That car deserves it!

Rad tank is bad aswell... I'm getting a not so great looking used one tested @ the moment and I called Madhu and Holms and Miles @ WH and no go on a new or used.... Sounds like the h20 pump bearing is starting to go too but not worried about that as much. I am going to put the firewall pad on @ the same time we do everything. Headstuds are not needed for this car, it's an automatique & this car is too nice to be abused with higher boost. We have full confidence in the Cometic headgaskets that we have here to use on a stock car. Oh yeah 3 out of the 4 wheels only have the black stripes on the mags. I'm going to have some made up and I know there is a minimum # amount so I know I'm going to have extras if anyone wants some? Now it's time to find another set of Euro lights and this will be sweeeat B)

Took the head off, Corteco headgasket and broke right @ the timing chain cover corner

Getting a tank made for the radiator.

N9TE On your email, We haven't used the studs yet on the racecar. Though they should be right. So I don't know what your really mean by feasible?

So when you do the headgasket on this one are you going to use studs? And related, if you were to go with the studs, can you do that in-situ or does the engine have to come out? I'm going to have to do the headgasket on my 87 and am lining up what is necessary. Thanks much for your legwork on this!

Head gasket can be done with engine in place. Head studs could also replace the bolts with the head in place. Trick is to do it when the engine is cold, drain coolant low enough the head is empty, and do one at a time in the same tightening sequence you use to torque the head.

This is my plan for the Dani engine I have as the head gasket is already new, so the studs are just a prevention measure so that I can feel confident in pushing boost a bit.

Rabin

Took the head off, Corteco headgasket and broke right @ the timing chain cover corner

Getting a tank made for the radiator.

N9TE On your email, We haven't used the studs yet on the racecar. Though they should be right. So I don't know what your really mean by feasible?

A lot of times there isn't enough clearance to pull the head straight up the 6-9" required to clear studs. Unless you put them in after you set the head on? I remember that being an issue back in my 7M Supra days. I'm going to do studs just for that extra bit of assurance against a headgasket failure. I fundamentally think "re-torques" - even though it's a factory prescribed procedure here - are a kludge. Sorry the the misunderstanding!

Not using the 60K head, due it it has a diviot on #3 chamber next to the cooling jacket. So we're using one of the heads that we planed. Block I sanded to get the corrosion off. Found a nice used H20 pump using oil pan sealant. New Intake gasket and coolant housing gasket, upper timing gasket is new, and the exhaust gasket must be ftom the Corteco headset as well, so it's in good condition. The V/C gasket was changed in 08' and used they thick OE gasket that is good, new plugs BK6ES, Unseized the wastegate arm, and the valve checks out fine. New fan clutch brush. The turbo intake boot was also repaired with expoxy, replaced that was a good one too...

0815111547.jpg

0815111545.jpg

0815111457.jpg

0815111459.jpg

My father drove it off the lift last night, since we used a shaved head the timing cover as well need to be shaved down to fit. My father asked the tech who put the cam and valves in after the plane job if he ever adjusted the valves? The tech said "yes" he did adjust the valves, that was not correct at all. Well non of them did a valve clearance check and started it up on Thursday and had very tight valves. Then had to take off the IC and V/C again yesterday. Car is smooth now after a little tune of course, which the car had never been tuned since the factory... The idle speed, potentiometer, maf had seen no adjustment ever in it's lifespan. Still waiting on the rad with the new tank but have the Original one in now, doesn't leak that much. And don't want to get it all nasty again, we just degreased and pressurewashed all underneath of it.

Valve body goes into overdrive @ around 35-40 MPH, that's going to have to get changed...

And of course we have some bad taillight connections, only one left side driving taillight works and non of the right side and the tipical bad grounds fade from left to right

Man - I thought the car was nice when it was on e-bay, and now it's just outstanding.

It was disconcerting to see how such a low mile nice looking car had so much wrong with it, and very very lucky you guys picked it up with the resources necessary to ensure it was saved and fixed to the state it deserves.

Well done. It should make a great car for your Dad...

An added thanks for keeping us updated on it's resurrection too - its nice seeing all the updates.

Rabin

• 2 weeks later...

great work, nick. it's good to see a nice car get nicer still.

i have a couple of questions about the lights...

0907111648.jpg

this is where you added the amber lights, yes?

also -- wrt to the HID conversion -- how did you route the supporting electronics (ballast, etc.)? and how bright did you go with these? there are tradeoffs b/w brightness and the impact on the rest of the electrical system, aren't there?

thanks,

andré