New member introduction

Hi everyone!

Rabin asked me to write an introduction. My name is Stuart, and I live in the San Francisco Bay area, though I am originally from Wisconsin. I have a 1984 Peugeot 505 turbodiesel.

I had wanted an older RWD manual transmission Peugeot for a few years, and one showed up on Craigslist at the end of January. The car was in pretty rough shape, and I felt like it was either going to come home with me or go to the crusher. But it was exactly what I was looking for--and considering how rare these cars are on the used market, I decided I couldn't let it go.

It took a lot of work to get my 505 to a roadworthy state, but it's been pretty easy to work on and it drives great. The car remains a beater--every panel has some sort of dent--but it's mechanically sound with only 119,000 miles. Despite its relatively low mileage, it was severely neglected. A list (probably incomplete) of the work I have done is an "appendix" to this intro. It's a long list, but I think it's a testament to the ruggedness of these cars that they can keep running despite so much neglect.

I am now sold on the awesomeness of the 505. My intention is to keep mine running well for a few years at least. It is still a beater and I don't view it as restoration candidate, but I could imagine it ending up as a parts car for a better-condition replacement someday.

As far as other automotive interests, I tend toward domestic vehicles. Currently I also have a somewhat rare 2005 Buick Park Avenue Ultra "Special Edition," which was one of 176 commemorative vehicles built at the end of the model's production run. I love it--GM used all the sportiest bits from hi-po Bonnevilles and Sevilles of the era, but only tweaked the conservative, comfortable Buick design with a special paint job. I also have a 1998 Dodge shorty window van as a utility vehicle. It's also great at what it is. The original owner ordered it exactly how I would have--completely stripped down with only four options: V8 engine, the windows, a sliding door, and a limited slip differential.

I look forward to hearing more about everyone's experience with 505s.

Stuart

Work I have done on the 505:

rebuilt shift handle from bushings up to knob

new brake master cylinder

new clutch master cylinder

new rear wheel cylinders

new drum brake shoes

all new brake/clutch hoses

front vented brake conversion with new/reman parts

new power steering lines fabricated

new ball joints

new strut inserts

one new front wheel bearing

cleaned up lug nut and stud threads

new tie rods and boots

many flaky electrical contacts cleaned or replaced

rebuilt front turn signals

all new light bulbs in gauge cluster

windows de-tinted

new thermostat and pressure cap

many new hoses for vacuum, cooling, and boost

tachometer pickup replaced

replaced fuel filter housing (previous mechanic wrenched on it)

fixed leaky fuel injector

unclogged windshield washer tank and nozzle

new radio with rear speakers

new radio antenna (non-retracting)

rebuilt both dome light assemblies

installed trunk light

fixed fuel filler overflow drain hose

trans fluid changed

gear oil changed

intake oil vapor catch can installed

repaired boost gauge installed by a prior owner

door stop link replaced

rebuilt window crank handles

stabilizer bar bushings replaced

Quite the list indeed!

Awesome seeing some of the new owners of these old cars really putting in the time and effort in saving a few of these cars. They really are fantastic cars, and with a proper budget and some time and effort - the reward is usually in the process in addition to ending up with a nice driving unique car.

I ALWAYS enjoy when I get to spend a few hours sorting something out on my 505 turbo, and then taking it for a drive to confirm the fix is always such a nice feeling.

BTW - best thing about a beater is never having to worry about any additional dents or scratches! There's a wonderful peace of mind that comes with that... I'm always fretting about my newly painted bumpers, and denting my freshly painted trunk was devastating... lol

Rabin

Welcome Stuart, great to see another Peugeot saved in the bay area. Isn't it great to realize the unique experience with a Peugeot? With dwindling numbers of these cars, not many will be able to experience them today!

I've owned my share over the years and sold many to keep the population going.

I tend to enjoy the TD's myself, simple to maintain and adds a little more quirkiness!

Happy motoring and post some photos!

Thanks for the welcome, everyone.

Indeed, I have done a lot of work on the car. It seems like I have been lucky in that it's a whole bunch of small stuff. The big items (engine, transmission, clutch, driveline) seem all to be OK.

Norcal505, I am near Redwood City. It's North Fair Oaks, to be specific. I'll be impressed if even any of the locals know where that is!

Haha, Jeff..Malibu Grand Prix, am I right? I used to love that place as a kid.

OP - I'm originally from San Mateo, so I know exactly where you're talking. I live in Alameda though (for another two months), before I move to SoCal.

My 505 was wrecked back in May, but when its back in the right shape, I'd love to take it out for a Crystal Springs - Woodside drive.

welcome to the club man

and good job saving a 505 from the crusher - old girl is grateful for the extra lease on life, im sure.

take her round a bend at a slightly spirited speed, and you'll be able to hear her say "oh, if only you knew me years ago..."

haha

Haha, Jeff..Malibu Grand Prix, am I right? I used to love that place as a kid.

OP - I'm originally from San Mateo, so I know exactly where you're talking. I live in Alameda though (for another two months), before I move to SoCal.

My 505 was wrecked back in May, but when its back in the right shape, I'd love to take it out for a Crystal Springs - Woodside drive.

Rob, your right about the location!

What 11 year old wouldn't want to go?

So, when you get your car back into shape, let's finally put a 505 rally together and meet at Crystal Springs?

Rob, your right about the location!

What 11 year old wouldn't want to go?

So, when you get your car back into shape, let's finally put a 505 rally together and meet at Crystal Springs?

Most definitely! Sounds like a great idea, there are really a lot of us in the general vicinity,