COAs

i sometimes visit the porsche forums, i used to own one and i find them interesting. one of the things the porsche guys mention sometimes is certificates of authenticity -- basically, you contact porsche with your VIN, send them some money ($75, iirc) and they send you a certificate for your car with the logo, a seal & somebody's signature -- on the certificate are your car's original specs & colors when it left the factory. i always thought this was pretty cool.

as it turns out, peugeot seems to offer something similar. there is an organization for peugeot owners and enthusiasts that's run through the factory museum -- the organization is called l'adventure peugeot. as you can see from their website, they offer attestations de datation et de caractéristiques -- essentially, COAs.

do any of you know anybody who's requested one of these? i'm definitely going to do it (and let you guys know what happens), but it would be nice to know if anyone in the US or Canada has ever received one of these...

andre

Guest EUROTRASH

i sometimes visit the porsche forums, i used to own one and i find them interesting. one of the things the porsche guys mention sometimes is certificates of authenticity -- basically, you contact porsche with your VIN, send them some money ($75, iirc) and they send you a certificate for your car with the logo, a seal & somebody's signature -- on the certificate are your car's original specs & colors when it left the factory. i always thought this was pretty cool.

as it turns out, peugeot seems to offer something similar. there is an organization for peugeot owners and enthusiasts that's run through the factory museum -- the organization is called l'adventure peugeot. as you can see from their website, they offer attestations de datation et de caractéristiques -- essentially, COAs.

do any of you know anybody who's requested one of these? i'm definitely going to do it (and let you guys know what happens), but it would be nice to know if anyone in the US or Canada has ever received one of these...

andre

"L'AVENTURE PEUGEOT à toutes les caractéristiques des véhicules produits par la marque. Contactez nous pour vos demandes d'attestations de datations pour vos voitures de collection au : 01.40.66.52.79"

Is that a phone number? ...cause, I don't speak French. :huh:

They should put up a contact e-mail.

well, they might. what got me thinking about this is that there is a thread right now on aussiefrogs started by one of the members who went to france and visited the peugeot museum. it's cool, you should check it out if you haven't already. lots of neat pics.

psa has a very comprehensive archive there; i assume m. gavarin has some connection to the archive. anyhow, i'll let you know what he says.

andre

I got a couple of these for my 1966 404 Coupé Injection a few years ago....at that time they were free.....then I got another this year.

Now you have to join L'Aventure Peugeot for 23 Euros and then pay another 10 or thereabouts for the Attestation de Date. Plus you have to send in a photo of the car's VIN plate and documents indicating that you are the owner. They're being more careful now! None of that proof used to be required.

You will get a page which indicates the particulars of the car and its original export destination as well as a few sheets full of detailed specifications.

It's worth the money IMO and L'Aventure Peugeot sends magazines every once and a while so long as you are a member.

Mike,

When you used to be able to get a Ferrari Certificate, they required a few VIN shots, engine stampings, tranny stampings as well as the differential. You paid a lot of bucks and there was no guarantee you would get one.

Can you scan in what you have for one of your 404s?

I might do this.

Thanks!

• 3 months later...

Bringin' this back up for discussion!

Andre - did you ever get a response to your request?

Mike - is there any chance you could be convinced to inquire on our behalf with L'Aventure Peugeot on the possibility of said certifications to include / specify what number of that model it was apart of? (IE 1 of 37 505 turbo 5-sp cars)

I am at a point where I really need to get my car properly appraised, and I would very much like to get some "certified" documentation as to the authenticity of my 89' 505 turbo 5-sp for the appraiser to take into account. The COA described here is good, but having the production numbers stated on the same document would be invaluable in proving rarity.

Thanks!

Rabin

i am now a member of l'aventure peugeot; i got a membership pack in a couple of weeks ago, have been meaning to post about it. it takes a long time to hear from them, it was a few weeks before they charged my credit car, and weeks after that when i got the packet.

as far as i can tell, the only way to request the COAs are over the phone. i am waiting for september to call since france pretty much shuts down in august, and i will have to call sometime in the wee hours of the morning b/c of the time difference (-9 hours right now)...

andré

I've already sent off an e-mail just in case to the contacts on that page, so hopefully they can use the link I provided to google translate if they aren't able to read it. :)

I'm happy to join as well - and may do so anyway so that they're helping a member and not an outsider, but my goal is to track down and authenticate export numbers to North America. If they can incorporate said numbers into the COA's so that it verifies a 1 of XX cars exported, that'd really be ideal.

Rabin

the website is pretty clear, you have to be a member to get the COA. the basic membership, mebre sympathisant (sympathizing member) cost 22 euros a year (about $31.50 as i'm writing this). i never got any response to email messages, so i sent the form in by mail. a few weeks later they charged my card, and a few weeks after that i got my packet.

as for speaking french, as with all things peugeot, i'm sure it helps but i don't think it's absolutely necessary... :)

andré

• 2 weeks later...

I think all you will get is the standard "attestation" which is fine. I believe that for all research into the various transmission options, colours etc generally you would have to go to Sochaux yourself and consult the archives It is possible, you just need to reserve in advance. It might take several days to sort through their records to capture info on all the 505 Turbos for the USA and Canada! I suspect they're mostly on paper.

I would like to do this one day for the 404 C research. By the way, the 404 C VIN registry is at 1520 cars now, close to 9% of those made.