Crazy idea...

Guest EUROTRASH

My understanding is to get it and drive it in the States - it has to remain licensed in Mexico. I don't know of anyway around this unless you can figure out how to get it titled in Florida first, then license it in your home state.

Not sure how it's done in Florida - but a lot of cars come in through that State. Once titled in a US state - it makes it much easier to re-title it in another stricter state - but there are still no guarantees.

In Canada - cars have to be older than 15 years old, then it doesn't matter at all where it's from. :)

Rabin

Guest EUROTRASH

My understanding is to get it and drive it in the States - it has to remain licensed in Mexico. I don't know of anyway around this unless you can figure out how to get it titled in Florida first, then license it in your home state.

Not sure how it's done in Florida - but a lot of cars come in through that State. Once titled in a US state - it makes it much easier to re-title it in another stricter state - but there are still no guarantees.

In Canada - cars have to be older than 15 years old, then it doesn't matter at all where it's from. :)

Rabin

Florida, why not California?

lol Cali is THE strictest place in the States for licensing cars...

Florida by comparison is supposed to be quite lax. 'Course this is just from what I've observed. I personally think it simply wouldn't be worth the hassles, especially since if it all goes wrong after you get the car here - you could be out a lot of cash if the car is taken and crushed.

Rabin

Guest EUROTRASH

Florida by comparison is supposed to be quite lax. 'Course this is just from what I've observed. I personally think it simply wouldn't be worth the hassles, especially since if it all goes wrong after you get the car here - you could be out a lot of cash if the car is taken and crushed.

Rabin

May be a crazier idea than I thought, we'll see. I don't like the models they have in Mexico, all small, all stick.

I still don't know why they don't sell French in the US, Americans need to get over their childish feuds and grow the f##k up.

Happy new year..

Rabin

I did a little bit of research into this. The basic rule is, unless the car was certified for sale by the manufacturer for sale in CA, you can't title it in CA (with one exception, which I'll get to). So even if you got it titled in some other state, it would be extremely difficult to title in CA. This is that whole "title laundering" thing we mentioned a few months ago in a different thread.

The one exception to this rule that I'm aware of is a very particular set of circumstances -- something like, you are a CA resident and you are traveling out of state, and your car breaks down and you buy a car in another state but that car was never certified for sale in CA -- you can title that car when you get back. Not sure how you establish the proof of all that (affidavit?). When I was talking to Dick Borio about his car, it was never clear to me if it was a 50-state car or not (think it probably is). I had this idea of buying a $200 beater, driving it to Dick's across the country, and destroying the beater with a sledge hammer when I got there. I ruled that out as a bad idea, though. :)

Rabin is right, CA is very strict about these things. If you change out the engine in your car for a different engine that wasn't originally offered in your car, that replacement engine must be certified for sale in CA. If I wanted to buy a brand-new LS1 V8 crate engine from gmperformance.com ($15k) to put into my Jetta, I couldn't -- those engines are for "off road use only." I'd have to buy an LS1 from a wrecked CA car and rebuild it. Then I'd have to go through the BAR (Bureau of Auto Repair) which inspects the whole setup and verifies that your engine is legal, then you get a sticker under your hood that the smog guys are supposed to go off of (instead of the original emission sticker info).

The whole thing is crazy. But the weather's nice. :)

So unless you have some reason to have the car in CA, I'd avoid the Golden State entirely...

Andre

In Kansas where I live, it is unbelievably easy to license things. Cars, trailer, trucks, etc.

So far, in the 4 different counties and cities I've lived in, none require any kind of inspection, unless you call a cop coming out to your car, looking at the VIN on the drivers door to make sure it matches the one on the title and inspection.

When licensing my small open trailer that I use to haul my Formula Ford's on, Kansas required NOTHING. No proof of previous license, title, VIN, etc. Turns out that if the gross weight is under 2000 pounds (which it is by a long way fully loaded), it is not licensed or taxed. I gotta have lights on it, but that's it. Trying to get the same trailer licensed in Missouri when I bought the thing damn near required the blessing of the Pope.

Not sure why everyone is worried about Cali. Your profile list Utah. Is that old info?

I'm planning to get my 505 titled on a Vintage plate when the car is done. As a cool plus, if I can find a 1987 Kansas license plate (not that hard really) I can use it. Got a friend with a 64 Elva Courier and he has a 1964 plate with a current Reg sticker.

I'm betting there is a way. A broker or importer of cars could help perhaps?

Biggest issue I see is none of those cars were very appealing, save for the RCZ.

Bryan

In Kansas where I live, it is unbelievably easy to license things. Cars, trailer, trucks, etc.

So far, in the 4 different counties and cities I've lived in, none require any kind of inspection, unless you call a cop coming out to your car, looking at the VIN on the drivers door to make sure it matches the one on the title and inspection.

Licensing a car in CA is not too difficult (smog hassles aside), the problem is getting it titled first...when you bring the car up from Mexico, you will have a Mexican title, and no state is going to let you register that vehicle with anything other than some kind of temporary tourist registration...the key question is, how to get a US title.

I did a google search on "getting Mexican car titled in US" and this is one of the first results that came up. It's from a forum for Ford Mustang owners, and someone says, "how can i get one of those cool mexican mustangs up here?" Now, some of the things they mention here are illegal, and I would never suggest that you go that route...but it's an interesting read anyhow. They mention the issues with getting the car across the border so you can get it home to get titled, which i hadn't thought about. There's also a big difference in bringing in an old car which was also sold in the US vs. a new car which was never sold here...

Biggest issue I see is none of those cars were very appealing, save for the RCZ.

I think you've hit on a big issue here, Bryan, Peugeot's lineup of cars is very different than it was in the 70's and 80's...they make some cool cars, to be sure, but I'd argue that the bulk of their current offerings are more descended from the 205 than from the 504/505. Contrast that with Mercedes or BMW, which makes better versions of the same thing they made then. I think that was one of Peugeot's problems when they left -- the 505 was the last rear-wheel drive car that Peugeot made, the new cars were good but different. I think that most 505 owners would be happier with an old BMW than with a new Peugeot... :)

Andre

Hey Fernando, there are already some US-Registered late-model Peugeot's around.

A guy in Portland recently sold a silver 406 Turbo Sedan. Yeah, he turbocharged it, 5-speed stick, and Oregon Title. Yeah, but California is a TERRIBLE place to register a car like that, they would immediately get on your ass. There are a few people who live in SoCal, that have Mexican-Reg'd Peugeots, and just drive back and fourth every several months

DSC00022.jpg

IMG_3468.jpg

IMG_3451.jpg

p307-1-1.jpg

Peugeot309rear.jpg

peugeot407spottedinnjdec2007.jpg

P1040858.jpg

IMG_1762.jpg

IMG_1780.jpg

2783860879_23dcec6274_o.jpg

2783181410_77d820a738_o.jpg

Oh yeah, you could always bring a nice 205 GTI down from Canada :)

Just saw a story on autoblog (yes, should be working, taking a break :) ) about JDM Legends, which imports older Japanese Domestic Market cars for fans/collectors. They don't say on their website how much these cars cost, I guess it's one of those "if you have to ask.." things.

They mention on their site that you can import any car older than 25 years old -- I looked it up, and it's not quite that simple, but it's a lot easier for cars older than 25 years old. Because there are so many different laws, taxes and regulatory schemes that cover cars in the US, the rules for importing are quite complicated. Unless you are an absolute fanatic and/or someone with lots of cash to burn, doing an import as a one-time deal doesn't seem feasible. I can see why most people leave this to professional importers, when you do that sort of thing as a business you can leverage your experience, investment, etc.

There's also a place in the northeast US that imports older Citroens & Renaults, I guess that's where all those 2CVs come from...

^ I bet that dude could import Fernando a really nice euro-spec 505.

There is a handfull of euro 505's in America, notably some are the ones in: Las Vegas, Illinois, Penn, Washington, and New York.

Personally, I'd love to get my hands on a 85 or 86' Euro 505 Turbo Sedan.

Can't go wrong with that. :)

Guest EUROTRASH

Not sure why everyone is worried about Cali. Your profile list Utah. Is that old info?

Bryan

Correct, I live in Utah so I don't even know why we're talking about CA. It all boils down to how much money you have for something like this, it's not all the legal work, it's the maintenance... and buying it of course. Hell, if all those new Peugeots in NJ have no problem it's because it's perfectly doable.

My crazy idea was to order a Peugeot model that not even Mexico has, all they have are little tiny Peugeots that I don't like. I was thinking a 407 or 608, something like that. In Argentina you can order any model they have in Europe, if you have the coin.

Importing a new Peugeot 407 would cost as much as a new BMW M3... doesn't seem like a very intelligent thing to do. :)

Here is a crazy idea:

Contact the French Consulate and ask them if there are any programs or support of any kind for ex-pats to import things from home.

I read of a guy that bought a Ford Focus RS (the homologation WRC Rally Car) from a dealer in Mexico and imported it to Texas. It has to be possible.

What about buying a new Peugeot in the French territory of St. Pierre and Miquelon (off the coast of Newfoundland) and simply importing from there. That has to be easier than importation from Mexico!

http://www.st-pierre-et-miquelon.com/english/geographie.php

Bring me back some Gauloises and Cloudberry Jam!

Here is a crazy idea:

Contact the French Consulate and ask them if there are any programs or support of any kind for ex-pats to import things from home.

I read of a guy that bought a Ford Focus RS (the homologation WRC Rally Car) from a dealer in Mexico and imported it to Texas. It has to be possible.

What about buying a new Peugeot in the French territory of St. Pierre and Miquelon (off the coast of Newfoundland) and simply importing from there. That has to be easier than importation from Mexico!

http://www.st-pierre-et-miquelon.com/english/geographie.php

Bring me back some Gauloises and Cloudberry Jam!

Funny you should mention St. Pierre - When I first found out how close they were to Canada, I looked to see what if any used car market they had. It'd be SUPER easy to import a 15 year old car from there, and it'd be super cheap.

My wife has a conference in the Maritimes this spring - so I'm working on having the whole family go so that we can go to St.Pierre to check it out.... :)

Rabin

Guest EUROTRASH

Funny you should mention St. Pierre - When I first found out how close they were to Canada, I looked to see what if any used car market they had. It'd be SUPER easy to import a 15 year old car from there, and it'd be super cheap.

My wife has a conference in the Maritimes this spring - so I'm working on having the whole family go so that we can go to St.Pierre to check it out.... :)

Rabin

Keep us posted!

I thought I remembered reading about these islands not too long ago -- Wired did a story about St-Pierre & Miquelon in 2009. Turns out there's a Peugeot dealership as well as a Renault dealership there..

Sadly I could find no used car listings, or used car dealerships online to see if they happened to have any sort of used car market...

It's such a small island though - so not sure what they'd do with old cars. I would think it certainly isn't worth shipping them back to France...

Rabin

Actually - it just occured to me that the ships that bring the new cars could easily take old ones back as the ship is going back anyway...

On the flip side - 15 year rule for us is now freeing up some really cool cars... (1996 and older now) Lots of pressure to change this rule though, which kinda sucks. I'd be in a position to import something in a couple years.

Rabin

Dude - you guys have some killer roads, and some beautiful places in the USA, but it'd be a cold day in hell before I wanted to move from Canada! (Oddly enough it's often "cold as hell" up here though!) I sure do like to visit though.

As for importing something - I do like my Pugs, but if I import something it'll likely be something very sporty, very fast, and something that was never available here.

An N9TE swapped Murena maybe? :) I think the car is super cool, and an N9TE swapped one would satisfy the "very fast" requirement nicely.

Rabin