Getting ready to race #45 for the first time

nick@nite

Too bad about the tire choice... Drag radials are known for having weaker sidewalls so that the flex more and put a bigger contact patch down for straight line stuff - so I'd imagine they'd be pretty soft on the tarmac sections. Not sure what would be best - likely an intermediate rally tire I'm guessing. Any idea what Higgins was running? :) That failure of the torque tube also had be guessing - only thing I can think of is previous damage from an accident that finally failed? Or maybe the mounting bolts were loose and it failed from a lot of movement. I dunno - just guessing.

Hopefully you'll get another chance next year... :) The car looks awesome in the pics. How was the power and stuff - I know you can never have enough when racing, but was there any point where you feel the car was really in need of another 100HP?

I finally got my Dani motor thanks to John Ewasyn who trucked all the parts to MTL for me, so I've finally got my hands on it and can go though it thoroughly before putting in the 89'. Bad part is - now I'm trying to draw the line on where to stop with prepping it!

Rabin

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is my two cents on tire choice:

As I am a Hoosier tire guy, I'd have gotten hold of a set of 205/50/15's in the R6 compound. Then I'd have found a local dirt track guy that knows how to wield a grooving iron. I'd explain the course and provide what I know about keeping a tire alive that has been cut and turn him lose.

The softer A6 might also have worked, but if it had been HOT they may not have lasted over the course of the event. It's a gamble I'd take with experience on the hill.

Within reason, any tire with lost of sharp edges will provide grip on dirt/gravel. Compound makes a difference of course, more on the paved sections unless you get really soft on the dirt and then it won't last on pavement.

Full on rally tires were the wrong choice, too much pavement. DoT race tire without any tread would be pretty slick on dirt/gravel. A DoT rain tire would have worked had the whole course been under rain/snow. We love our new Hoosier H2.O for example.

Nick, what did your dad run for tires?

Thanks Guys for the Comps ;)

My father is proud of the time that I did with all the practice that I had learning the hill. His best time was a 8:07 in the Peugeot with as clear as day weather... The Pug did great on the dirt I kept in 3rd gear and cruised, cragg way corner was for show and felt good to show off... VT Sportscar spent 200K on bringing this event back. With the help of Subaru because they wanted this title bad after Pastrana's unoffical time...

I got bitched at by a know it all racer with bringing just my slick. so I thought I might need them if te weather didn't come through and if they opened the top with the dirt section i was thinking diffewrnt tires if the weather kept up... To tell you the truth that guy doesn't know jack about how my car handles. The Peugeot I trust with the Hoosiers on the rears (R6) I want the A6's but they weren't in stock when I needed them... My father has gone back to Kuhmo Vitoracer's becauseTirerack had a sale for $70 for a 225/45/17 for a 2008 made molds... Though he finished the V710 wich have been the fastest that he has tried...

Last year before I wrecked the old #45 the Hoosiers stopped the chatter on the diff on taking off amazing! With this car has always chattered since I raced it with the same tires. When we took the torque tube out and looked at the flange, it had been crack for some time, due to the coloring of the break. My father has only seen one other break of the torque tube in racing and that was due to a bad gasket a distoryed the rear end...

I have another torque tube here at the shop and was just about to drive home if it wasn't for Tim O'neil finding some gearhead kids that owed him for wrecking a car at his school and doing 6K worth of damage and owed him. The kids knew how to weld and with a stick welder...

We thought only one side of the diff failed wich in failed on me in the Paddock going to give my GF her parking pass to come into the pits... It was so muddy with the slicks the ass end started chattering with the 89' torsen rear and then pulled the rubber mounts. We had one,and fixed the left side with a replacement mount. Then we noticed the right side broke aswell. hosed clamped the right side of the diff... Started the car and found the torque tube snapped... I was lucky that it happen in the Paddock than on the hill...

Power is good for the breaking power, hensing the new dani motor with the stock brakes. Need performace pads for 1 thing... After rebuilding the lower end my father richend her up and at the event it took a mile to clear the fuel, she cut out allitle on top end... and had 17 spike and then 15 consant PSI... I'm thinking about not doing the first Okemo hillclimb (July 8 and 9th) and putting in the dani motor for the second Okemo. The club couldn't get a 2nd Burke date Also Bill the III wants us to do Duryea... Rabin I'm wanting to finish the dani project. And Bryan I'm mailing back the Hans. Thank again!

Excellent! I'm in no hurry for the VEMS stuff, and I'm happy to see it get used on your build if it's going to be done this year. I won't be doing my Dani engine for a while, and will be able to keep quite busy with making sure it's 100%. I don't really want to do a stand alone without making sure the bottom end has been gone over, so that's the winter project.

In the spares I got from August, there's a used set of custom forged pistons - so I'll likely measure them up and see if they're within spec and can be used in another block. I thought I could just clean up the Dani engine and run it as is, but it's too much work to get it in and dialed in without making sure the bottom end is good. If I can get those forged pistons to work - I'll likely be much happier cranking the boost too. :)

Rabin

Finally the ARP headstuds came today...
PN# are AU7.860-2LB for the studs 300-8376 nut, 200-8500 washer, 100-9908 ultra torque lube
Rabin I got 3 of those light sockets, I think I can come up with one more

WARNING - These ARP head studs have M12x1.75 ends that aren't ideal for torquing the head down with. Please see this thread for more info:

0630111345.jpg
0630111351.jpg

Perfect... If a couple connectors / plugs for those sockets (with some wiring) can come with those I'd be all set.

As soon as you confirm all is good with the length and spec of the ARP fasteners I'll be ordering a set or two for my engines. BTW - I assume you're happy with the Cometic gaskets - so if you can post what the specs on the latest set I'll probably need to order a couple of those as well. :)

BTW - love the pics of the car on the Mountain - looks awesome!

Rabin

If you just need the female plug for the bulb socket we repair them with new connectors on like in the pic, or do you need the socket that the 194 bulb goes into?

Very happy with the quality of Cometic what we've seen they have been better than the hard to find Curty Paine Gaskets and they are cheaper. The dani gasket since the head has been CC'ed were using a thinner gasket, PN# is H2038043F and that is .043. The stock headgasket PN# is H2038059F which is .059

0630111458.jpg

Guest EUROTRASH

Uhmm... Rocks, trees hopefully before you go over. I haven't seen Pikes peak but I've heard Pikes peak is not as bad as Washington... :o

I see... :huh: watch yourself... great shots!!

Uhmm... Rocks, trees hopefully before you go over. I haven't seen Pikes peak but I've heard Pikes peak is not as bad as Washington... :o

you're being modest, nick. i watched the ride-along video for monster tajima's pikes peak run, and it goes from "not so bad -- i could do that" to truly sphincter-tightening at the higher elevations!

what is there to stop you from going over the edge of the cliff? skill; big brass ones... :D

andré

• 2 months later...

Dude in the semi was the most impressive. Holy crap can he drive that thing.

Looked like the surface was pretty slick as most of the cars were really timid and were still sliding wide. Must have been awesome to compete in that event though.

Rabin

• 1 month later...

Well I thought I was going to make it through this season without getting new tyres, wrong.... Also just mounted up for the rears and then look at my front and they're wasted aswell... So I had to put some hardened Vitorracer on the front. Had our top tech find the short in the dash... Melted Harness... Replaced some shifter bushing. drained & refilled diff

Philo is this weekend... Again looks like a shitty rainy weekend Sunday might cooperate....

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=05495

1014110932.jpg

The car is wrecked :( I did it rushing going down the hill to try and get a last run in doing about 35MPH around a corner and I noticed I was going too fast going around a corner going down, strapping into my harness @the time, was not buckled in wasn't focused on where I was and hit the brake and went into a skid, hit a tree on the left rail... Also has a buckle in the right rear a bit... I was very very stupid...

Broke my nose on the corner cage plate and kut my nose to hell... 99% will have scare from it as a reminder i should of went to the walk-in client on Sunday for stitches I went to my doctor yesterday and they sent me to the walk-in and the walk-in ask me why did I come there and not my regular doctors...

The car we are going to see if it can be straighten and put another front clip on but don't know how bad it is yet... The left rail did get pushed into the firewall and did push the floor up under the pedals... Right rear looks like it can be straighten back

There are about 4 505 Turbo's that I can turn into a full fleaged racecars still, One is Jason's car that is still in storage that has a cage in it. Jason father has 2, one for $700 that has been sitting, and the other one was a very fast 505 and was faster than #45 was... When he did the hillclimb my father set it up with 411 rear and taxi springs, though needs a cage. Dushane know 2 people in Montreal aswell. I have the new struts housing and control arms and hood.

sorry to hear about the wreck, glad to hear that you're (relatively) okay as it could have been a lot, lot worse.

at least you'll have a cool scar, chicks dig scars. tell 'em you got it in a race car... :D

while it's never good to hear about a peugeot potentially biting the dust, it's reassuring to know that you guys have the knowledge & resources to do whatever can be done...

andré

Glad you didn't get banged up too much. That's the important thing.

The car... I don't know if 505s are the right cars for this. I mean, it's so inherently dangerous. Sure, it's the driver, but even the best drivers launch off dozens of times in their careers. You have to drive on the bleeding edge ALL THE TIME. You're just gonna lose a bunch of cars that way.

I wanted to get a Fire Arrow with that awesome Mitsubishi 2.6 Silent Shaft cars a few years ago. But, nope. They were all raced (usually rallyed) and pretty much all gone. Same for the MK1 Fiestas.

What's the plan going forward?

It's not looking pretty.... It's going to be a miracle if we can straighten this... With the later style bumper my uncle didn't use a rebar so the impact of the tree was pretty dead on and crunched the left rail badly...

Took the car out of the trailer tonight. Dropped the motor and trans right out in 3 hours with the subframe. Broke the new Alt, Broke the lower, upper timing covers, water outlet

Left inner rail

1020111941a.jpg

left wheel well

1020111940.jpg

Got the rightside a bit too

1020111941.jpg