Peugeot/Ford ABS-system

By a coincidence I found out that Ford Sierra/Scorpio uses the same Teves Mk2 ABS-system as the 505's.

At least the master/ABS assembly is identical, and with a little luck there could be more components that are interchangable (like ABS-sensors, ECU).

The Sierra has a different fluid container, but it seems to be identical otherwise judging from these pictures, found on a used car-parts database.

Scorpio, Sierra

post-114-1210982205.jpgpost-114-1210982139.jpg

• 1 year later...

Minor supplement ...

Recently I replaced one of my front ABS-sensors. And on the connector I noticed a very small Ford-symbol.

Remembering this thread I thought I'd do some research on these sensors, and see if they were sitting on the mentioned Ford Scorpios/Sierras as well. So I contacted a Ford spare parts-dealer who I knew had been into these things for a long time and surely knew old Ford parts.

Unfortunately, he didn't recognize it as a Ford part. He thought that it was only the connector that Peugeot (/Ate) had gotten from Ford, and then used it with an other sensor head.

To sum up: Front ABS-sensors from Ford are at least not interchangeable.

Regards,

Alex

Hi Alex,

I don't think you should give up just yet - as I think it's more than a little unlikely they sourced just a connector for a ABS rather than the entire sensor. It's all about economies of scale - so I'd bet that is indeed a Ford sensor, it just might be a rear application or maybe off the trucks...

I recently found that the Porsche 944 and early 928's used the same ATE calipers as the 505's - so ATE supplying the same brake components to different automakers isn't odd at all. They all used the same suppliers so it makes sense they incorporated the same components.

It has to be worth further investigation at least... :D

Rabin

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I agree with you. It would be far more likely they used a complete sensor unit, but I just don't know how to investigate further. As mentioned, the "Ford-guys" didn't recognize it as a Ford part at all. I've checked other Peugeot-models (405, 605) and Porsches too, but they all use Bosch systems.

My only theory is that everything that somewhat easy could be used of consisting components (control units, all kinds of wires, etc.) was, and then they just had had to make an "own" sensor head to make it fit to the wheel spindle. I mean, somewhere in the chain of parts you must modify a link to make Ford (/Ate) ABS-parts and Peugeot car-parts come together. Perhaps the sensor head was the easiest and most profitable to "modify"?

Regards,

Alex

• 1 month later...

Just as a note for anyone who is doing this, I recently replaced the abs pump in my '88 abs turbo with one from a 89 Ford Scorpio based on the info in this thread. It fit perfectly and the only differences were the polarity one the power connector (took me a few hours to figure out why it kept blowing the fuse), and the fluid pressure line fitting size, which I had custom made for very cheap. I only paid $15 for the pump rather than $500 from western hemispheres so this saved me a lot of money

If your looking for a car other than the Scorpio that uses the Teves Mk 2 abs system you can find it on this site (I learned about this list an alfa fourm, they seem to have the same problem), scroll down to "TEVES MARK 2 ABS (4-wheel, Integral)" It can quite helpful if you're junkyard searching.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/abs_list.htm