1988 505 turbo "grey beast" for sale

Trevor

My 505 is going up for sale. Unfortunately it seems that the head is cracked as the car is now consuming coolant. It still drives but has to be fixed asap.. If you want to know more about the car, click on project cars.... grey beast on the top menu. it's the same car that is in a lot of the tech docs throughout this website. The engine was rebuilt by myself about a year and a half ago and has been running under stock boost conditions ever since. It has a limited slip diff from an earlier 505 turbo ('86 i think), sideskirts, front mount intercooler... and other than this it's pretty much stock. Great for someone who wants a project. I'm just putting this up for "best offer" right now. I'm not giving it away, but at the same time i would like to get rid of it soon and allow someone to continue the legacy of the grey beast. I have a bunch of misc parts that i will include with the car if you want them... Email me if you are interested.

ok guys i'll get some pics soon. CUrrent mileage is somewhere in the low 200K. the ODO says 198,000 or so, but the speedo cable has been disengaged for the last year of driving.. haha. yeaaaa who needs to know how fast they are going anyway. :-) So i'm guessing 215,000 miles.

well... how much do you want to buy it for? Just make it worth my while to get rid of it and make a tiny dent in my newfound debt instead of having to rip the head off of it again. I'll try and get those pics soon, meanwhile if you really want to know what i'm doing now without my peugeots... well... see pics.

how much is your asking price?

post-32-1205627808.jpg

post-32-1205627820.jpg

Sweet car Trevor!

What's the verdict after driving that after the 505 Turbo? I'm guessing it's pretty damn plush inside, and VERY rewarding indeed... Too bad the US got the detuned ones... Canada got the eurospec ones :lol:

It does make for a damn nice replacement though...

Good luck on the sale - If I was closer I'd snag it for sure.

Rabin

THe m3 is amazing. The 505 was at one point nearly as fast under WOT... i kow this for a fact. HOwever, the power band in the m3 is so wide and so readily available that drivability doesn't even compare. The handling puts the 505 to shame (and i always thought the 505 handled fairly well too). And of course, the build quality isn't even in the same ballpark. The m3 is just... newer, and better engineered. And of course there's the nice interior that makes you feel like a king... :-)

E36's are awesome cars.

I love them and E30 S14 M3's both alot.

they are some of the sickest cars ever made.

lol - well it damn well better be! The M3 is a lot newer, and was WAY more expensive than the 505 Turbo's ever were.

I like the idea of having a nice daily driver (In my case the 00' V70R) and still keeping the 505 Turbo as a play toy. That way it won't see the day to day abuses and I can spend the time to build it up right.

So what are the specs on it? Year? Any special mods - or is it bone stock?

Rabin

i agree

to be honest, 505's are beasts, but they cant really compare to bimmer M3's.

Theyre more sport-orientated, and really do put our 505's to shame on the track-no lie

here are some of my fav. E30 M3's..

aadsized.jpg

e30_038_std.jpg

12.jpg

IMG_5238.jpg

094ie9ltja4.jpg

IMG_0887.jpg

i really have and always will want a E30 M3 in hennarot red on lm's in my dream garage one day.

I'd have to disagree with you there Rob...

If anyone were to put the time, money, and effort that went into any one of those M3's pictured - the 505 would be every bit as capable on the track... Actually - since it's boosted - it would have a distinct power advantage. (Course the question of "Why would you want too!" comes up immediately!)

I'd be curious to hear what the actual road racers have to say though - I'm just going by slalom experience and seeing how other road race cars did at the track.

Still comparing apples to oranges, and you'd be somewhat crazy dumping that kind of cash into a 505, since you'd NEVER get anything close to what you had into it. The M3 would hold it's value MUCH better too.

But dollar for dollar I'd bet money I can build a faster daily driver/track car out of a 505 Turbo (which is my long term goal). So hopefully I can prove it with some time attack times when it's complete. There are some pretty done up cars that run at the race track in Winnipeg - so I'm hoping I can post some credible times compared to the modern machines... It should also look every bit as good at those M3's which are quite stunning.

As for the answer to the question of why? "Because I can... ;)" All it takes is some time, effort and some cash and virtually anything can be made fast - it's just easier when the base car is sound. Interestingly enough - the E30 M3 and the 505's share quite a lot suspension design wise... E30 suspension

Rabin

actually rabin, i take what i said back-after what you said just now that really made sense.

its the matter of "spending the cash" into a 505 turbo, but i mean, our cars are great as they are.

after all, peugeots are kinda like a middleman between bimmers and benz's-as my uncle says "505's have the kind of suspension of a benz, but also the 4-banger power of a bimmer"

in my opinon, peugeot 505's FTMFW

One of you should buy my car. I have a new money pit now. haha

The 505 was fun. if nobody buys it i might end up taking the head off and fixing it, but i just wont have the time for a while. I put a lot of work into fixing up that motor and it gave at least a good 25 hp/torque increase over stock at the same boost levels. It's too bad those stupid heads just keep cracking (this is what i assume happened anyway). I did the 'revised' procedure with the retorque and everything.

actually rabin, i take what i said back-after what you said just now that really made sense.

its the matter of "spending the cash" into a 505 turbo, but i mean, our cars are great as they are.

after all, peugeots are kinda like a middleman between bimmers and benz's-as my uncle says "505's have the kind of suspension of a benz, but also the 4-banger power of a bimmer"

in my opinon, peugeot 505's FTMFW

If I didn't live some damn far away from all the good deals it'd be tempting for sure! But I do live too far away - and my money is far better spent modding the current ride... ;)

I personally think you're MUCH better off pulling the head and fixing the issue first. Not sure if you've seen my posts on getting Cometic head gaskets for our cars - but I'm quite certain they'd be on par with the best since they have a REALLY good rep in every circle I've seen them. (Rally, bikes, race, etc etc) Most of the HG I've seen have been utter crap for this motor - so I'm hoping the Cometic ones are much better.

If it is the head - they can be found relatively cheap - and I'm sure you'd be able to do the swap in a day/weekend since it was recently apart and you know your way around the motor. If you were to keep it - getting some head studs spec'd out will likely go a long way in helping it stay together better.

I hit the wall myself with this stupid Subaru Legacy I bought to flip, ended up spending WAY too much on parts, and had to rip into the motor three times (major engine work) - the last to do head gaskets... Took a while for the hate to subside - but it's been a daily driver for 40000 KM and his been utterly reliable since.

So fix it, fix it right, and then either enjoy it as a toy to really hammer on (I bet the M3 doesn't get hammered on just yet) or sell it for decent coin as a running driving car. You'll take too big a beating on it selling it broken.

Rabin

i may just fix the grey beast afterall. The mi16 has to go tho. Shame, i think it's going to pick'n'pull next sunday unless somebody gets it before then. I've been trying to sell it for far too long to want to deal with it anymore, or fix it for that matter.

Thanks for the info about the head gasket. I will probably look into that more later. It would be nice to get the 505 running again, and maybe i'll sell it after i get a few more miles out of it. It's quite the fun car.

Sounds like a plan for the grey beast... Sucks about the Mi-16 though...

I've been thinking about that car a fair bit this last while - if I was closer I think I'd snag that car before the beast - I think a motor swap with a VW 1.8T powertrain would make for a sweet ride. The small block chevy of the VW world has a TON of tuning potential, makes fantastic power for cheap, and they're abundant. Pretty sure they sit the same way as the Pug engine/tranny (Honda's sit the opposite way) - so it shouldn't take much fab to fit it.

Be hella fun too with 250 HP for cheap.

Rabin

well... how much do you want to buy it for? Just make it worth my while to get rid of it and make a tiny dent in my newfound debt instead of having to rip the head off of it again. I'll try and get those pics soon, meanwhile if you really want to know what i'm doing now without my peugeots... well... see pics.

Ha. It was a M3 that caused the previous owner of my black turbo to send it my way. Those have the inline sixes, right?

Aren't you the owner/proprietor of 505turbo.com? What will become of the board?

I personally think you're MUCH better off pulling the head and fixing the issue first. Not sure if you've seen my posts on getting Cometic head gaskets for our cars - but I'm quite certain they'd be on par with the best since they have a REALLY good rep in every circle I've seen them. (Rally, bikes, race, etc etc) Most of the HG I've seen have been utter crap for this motor - so I'm hoping the Cometic ones are much better.

Agree here. If Peugeot guys put as much as BMW guys put in tires and wheels the cars would be scary nice. :)

I hit the wall myself with this stupid Subaru Legacy I bought to flip, ended up spending WAY too much on parts, and had to rip into the motor three times (major engine work) - the last to do head gaskets... Took a while for the hate to subside - but it's been a daily driver for 40000 KM and his been utterly reliable since.

Ya, me too with Toyota. One of things I always say is "The more time I spend with my Toyota, the more time I wish I spent with my Peugeot". Maybe if I get a LS400 or IS, the hate can start to ebb, but everytime I think about that, I think the same money could to to a Citroen SM.

If body my 505s got sucked up by a tornado tomorrow, I'd still not have regretted any of my Peugeot time and probably be on the prowl for another!