Sad truth about Peugeots in the US

Pugsley

Before I started restoring my '81 505 I sanded it and removed all the trim and nameplates. Wife needed me to make a quick run to get something, so I took the '81 since it was warmed up. I got pulled over for a tailight out. The cop circles my car twice and then yelled ALRIGHT WHAT KIND OF CAR IS THIS ?

I told the cop they used to sell them right here on Lockwood Ave until 1992.

I found it funny that he was a "car guy" and didnt know what my car was, but later thought what a shame it is that they used to sell Lancias, Peugeots and Fiats right here at the same dealer (that also sold Subarus before anyone knew about them) and now most of these makes nobody has ever heard of or remember.

Most people have no clue what-so-ever about these cars. And those who know that "Peugeot" is a French car associate it with all the "news" out of France in the last decade (anti-us/riots/general strikes/etc.) No one knows that there were/are real bonified "car guys" over there and they actually put out good cars.

Even those that do know the car, don't have any significant "wheel time" with one and therefore can't render an informed opinion.

Get used to it.

I have to agree with Koll on his points - but what makes for a sweet compliment, is when you find someone who actually KNOWS what a Peugeot is, and specifically what the 505 Turbo is. Everytime it's happened to me it was usually an aweful nice compliment...

Like the older guy at the gas station driving an Subaru STI - checked out my car on the way in to pay, and on the way out he stopped to comment... Turns out he did an advanced driving school in the States and ran it in a 505 Turbo... Commented on what a fantastic car it was - then drove off.

It's times like that where it feels nice to NOT have to follow up with "No - that is the maker. It's French." (Yes - the inevitable "Peugeot? Who makes that?" answer...)

Rabin

Most people have no clue what-so-ever about these cars. And those who know that "Peugeot" is a French car associate it with all the "news" out of France in the last decade (anti-us/riots/general strikes/etc.) No one knows that there were/are real bonified "car guys" over there and they actually put out good cars.

Even those that do know the car, don't have any significant "wheel time" with one and therefore can't render an informed opinion.

Get used to it.

Now you hit the nail on the head with this statement. Ive heard bigmouths tell me how bad these cars were

"Did you ever own one?"

"No"

"Did you ever work on them?"

"No"

"Then what would you know about them?"

I have to agree with Koll on his points - but what makes for a sweet compliment, is when you find someone who actually KNOWS what a Peugeot is, and specifically what the 505 Turbo is. Everytime it's happened to me it was usually an aweful nice compliment...

Like the older guy at the gas station driving an Subaru STI - checked out my car on the way in to pay, and on the way out he stopped to comment... Turns out he did an advanced driving school in the States and ran it in a 505 Turbo... Commented on what a fantastic car it was - then drove off.

It's times like that where it feels nice to NOT have to follow up with "No - that is the maker. It's French." (Yes - the inevitable "Peugeot? Who makes that?" answer...)

Rabin

I know a guy here in St Louis who was well known and respected in European/English cars.

His comment on my 505 Turbodiesel I had just bought 6 years ago was:

"Now that Peugeot is a really great car, youre really gonna love it"

Comming from a guy whos wrenched/owned Porsches, Jags, Maseratis, Ferraris, Aston Martins, and even Rolls Royces that comment tells you he wouldnt say that about just any car.

As for your comment I get some nice ones from those who know better, and they also seem to be higher educated (thats snotty, but true B) )

As for your comment I get some nice ones from those who know better, and they also seem to be higher educated (thats snotty, but true :) )

Sorry for OT: I was bar in Florida Forth Laudertail and having beer.

Guy next to me turns and say "hey". I sayed also "hey".

Next one was "how much u make at year"? My asnw. "not your business to know it"

He sayed at "he makes 50000$" I sayed "I could not care less"

Second one was "Where do u live" I sayed "in Finland"

He sayed "where is that" I sayed "in Europe"

He sayed "Europe? in what state in US that is"?

I turned my back for him and drinked my beer and changed bar.

Nearly same thing happened in 3rd bar but there was she who started with out eaven saying "hey" :P

She was directly asking "how much u make" I answered same way as before "not your business to know it"

and I did get wierd looking from she (btw. she was dam good looking and nice one [not hooker])

she sayed at "she makes around 85000$/year". Then I desided to analyse this need of talking of salary more deeply... that poin did open me eaven 1,5 hour discution so we did change topic to something more interesting one ;)

(happened in 1992)

Sorry for pointless OT B)

V-M

The only thumbs up I get in my area are French tourists! My office shares the same parking area for the local vistor center. My ole 505 TD has had more photos taken of it than you can imagine. On special days, I'll drive my Citroen Ami-6 to work, this car gets more folks posing with it than the 505.

Jeff

Regina's local high end independant car repair shop's owner drives an 85 505 Turbo for his winter car, his summer car is a 71 Alfa Romeo Guilia 1750 cc twin cam - absolutely gorgeous little car... (Performance Car Centre)

Thankfully - although I still get teased for having Peugeot's - I've been able to earn a fair amount of respect for the times the 505 Turbo can put in at a Slolom course... Haven't driven an event all year though - so I gotta makes sure she's up to snuff this winter to run next summer.

Rabin

Sorry for OT: I was bar in Florida Forth Laudertail and having beer.

Guy next to me turns and say "hey". I sayed also "hey".

Next one was "how much u make at year"? My asnw. "not your business to know it"

He sayed at "he makes 50000$" I sayed "I could not care less"

Second one was "Where do u live" I sayed "in Finland"

He sayed "where is that" I sayed "in Europe"

He sayed "Europe? in what state in US that is"?

I turned my back for him and drinked my beer and changed bar.

Nearly same thing happened in 3rd bar but there was she who started with out eaven saying "hey" :P

She was directly asking "how much u make" I answered same way as before "not your business to know it"

and I did get wierd looking from she (btw. she was dam good looking and nice one [not hooker])

she sayed at "she makes around 85000$/year". Then I desided to analyse this need of talking of salary more deeply... that poin did open me eaven 1,5 hour discution so we did change topic to something more interesting one ;)

(happened in 1992)

Sorry for pointless OT B)

V-M

I was always taught that it was unprofessional to discuss your salary, so Id bet those people were full of it. However, you can alway reply with "Is that all ?" in a really shocked tone when they say the amount.

I was always taught that it was unprofessional to discuss your salary, so Id bet those people were full of it. However, you can alway reply with "Is that all ?" in a really shocked tone when they say the amount.

Same is my opinion... but that has happened many more times for me in US visits B) Also in Other side of country (LA area). Maybe reason is me or totally wrong place and people on those bar's which I selected ;) Surely a lot of correctly acting ones meet also but those stange ones I remember.

V-M

Same is my opinion... but that has happened many more times for me in US visits ;) Also in Other side of country (LA area). Maybe reason is me or totally wrong place and people on those bar's which I selected :P Surely a lot of correctly acting ones meet also but those stange ones I remember.

V-M

Never had anybody ask me what I made - ever. Are you sure they weren't hookers? B)

Never had anybody ask me what I made - ever. Are you sure they weren't hookers? B)

I'm not sure about that guy :) But that woman was not ;)

As I said "maybe it was me and my bad selection of bar" ;)

But I also said at there was a lot of better behaving ones... but that aproach was bit shocking.

And if it happen only ones and in same area that I understand, but at different side of country?

V-M

(sorry about bringing this chitchat up, but this has musing me since then. I have trying to

reasoning that question...but no luck). :P

Meaning is not insult or anything... I know and understand people and continent differences

(I have been around Globe)

(sorry about bringing this chitchat up, but this has musing me since then. I have trying to

reasoning that question...but no luck). B)

Meaning is not insult or anything... I know and understand people and continent differences

Eh, no worries. People can act strange. I'd just chalk it up to a coincidence. Anybody who asks what you make outside of say, you and I are in a bar and both IT guys with similar certifications, then the question, "What do you pull? I got $82K last year" might seem approate. But just cold? No.

If someone asked me, I'd say I was homeless and do they have an extra $5 to spare...

I'm not sure about that guy :P But that woman was not :)

As I said "maybe it was me and my bad selection of bar" B)

But I also said at there was a lot of better behaving ones... but that aproach was bit shocking.

And if it happen only ones and in same area that I understand, but at different side of country?

V-M

reasoning that question...but no luck). ;)

Don't feel to bad VM, Half of Americans still believe the world is flat............