'87 505 STX V6 manual

I might end up buying a dark blue 505 STX V6 manual this coming June. Guess it'll have a blue interior as well.

Now I have a couple of questions. Since I would be using it as a daily driver I want to know if they are reliable cars or not. I also want to know the notorious bad points, so I can check that as well. I also want to know if there is a way to wake the V6 up a bit without adding turbochargers or anything rash like that. I think it's the same PRV engine the DeLorean has, and they offer a 200bhp package for it. And does it have a sper-diff or will it be the "one wheeled wonder" when I get on the gas?

Bunch of questions, first post.

About me:

- I live in Texas, USA

- Am 25 years old

- A guy (duh...)

- Came from the Netherlands in october 2006

- Owned a 93 405 1.8 GRI with 205 1.9 GTI wheels and T16 seats

- Owned a 85 305 1.4 GL before that

- Proud to say I've driven Peugeot all my life, and don't want to change that if I can help it.

Ok, Justice.

First of all welcome to the forums.

Second, Peugeots MAY be reliable cars. If you take good care of them, they will take good care of you.

Third, the PVR engine IS the engine for the late model 505's.

I dont have the PVR, but I suppose that they're reliable-after all, they were also used in the Volvos, and Renualts.

welcome justice, unless the car has ABS, it should have a cone and spring style LSD, so you should be alright there. as far as power upgrades, i'm honestly not sure what you can do. there was a thread on the forum a while back talking about a twin turbo 505 v6 motor. i know there are people in australia who have done this, and it *can* produce some crazy numbers.

http://www.505turbo.com/forum/index.php?sh...p;hl=twin+turbo

let us know when you end up doing. :(

The V6 505 is a good, reliable car. Getting a manual is the best for long term viability, economy and performance.

Speed parts are rare and most efforts to liven up the performance have been solo efforts. The V6 in stock form will allow the car to perform adequately. 505 performance is much more than straight-line accelleration and it all depends on the driver.

Parts and knowledge are dwindling in the US as the carmaker left the market 15 years ago so unless you're prepared to live with stock performance, this might not be the car for you if you want to be a Saturday Night Hero. Think of them as BMWs (but better) with the support network less than a Fiat. If the car leaves you cold in stock trim, I doubt anything that can be done on any kind of reasonable budget will change that.

Thanks for the answers!

I am not aiming for saturday night hero, I am aiming to play with the local ricers a little bit, in a car that does not show it. And stock it won't outrun a civic vtec, you need a little oomph for that.

Twin turbo sounds nice, but I am more of a supercharger person myself. But naturally I doubt there is any supercharger that bolts up to a PRV6. If anything I am looking for a low boost solution if I end up going forced induction later on in life. And then I like superchargers better (instant power, no lag).

Like I said, I've always driven a Peugeot, so adding power is not one of my primary points. I'd just like to own another one. It would be funny if I end up with the 505, then I can honestly say I've had a range that got bigger and bigger. (305, 405, 505)

Guest the505inme

A 505 V6 with a free flowing exhaust sounds really really nice, and can only help performance. Then why not upgrade the ignition parts and add an electric cooling fan, to reduce hp drag.

Another way to increase performance is to increase the power to wieght ratio.

For example, you could remove all the AC guts, and remove the spare tire ( which is not the safest thing to do, but I drove around without one for 3 years without incident) .

Of course remember not to carry loads of junk in the trunk, that helps too.

+1 on John's comments. They respond REALLY well to ignition and intake/exhaust improvements.

The only other thing would be to put some hotter cams in if you're looking for bang for the buck. Superchargers installs would get expensive unless you wanted to do a ghetto SC install. I have a SC off a Nissan 3.3 V6 that will take a lot of modification to fit on my V6 engine, but it would make for a killer combination for real world driving improvements.

With that much low end torque though - make sure the driveshaft splines (inside the torque tube) are very well lubricatied with high pressure grease. The splines that I've seen that were worn out were dry as a bone. The ones in my 504 V6 were greasy as can be and looked new after all the abuse I gave it as a teenager in a 504 V6 4-sp could!

Rabin

@the505inme:

If I get one it'll be equipped with a true dual exhaust later in life. The V6 sounded so good in the delorean I drove shotgun in, I just have to have to! The AC has to stay however, Texas with no AC is not fun.

@Bean: I am mister lube.. Check the oil at least once a month, and replace it at least once every 5000 miles / year (whichever comes first).