Joe's '91 405 Mi16 (and '90 SW and '92 Mi16)...

91MR2

The fun is in the details when going through and properly sorting out a car.  I wish I had more time for it, but my new year hope is to make time for it!

I’ve neglected my cars/projects far too long and I sadly have to do some culling, but hopefully by narrowing the number and scope will make them achievable.

Seeing updates from others is a huge part of that motivation - so thanks for keeping us updated!

Rabin

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I’m glad it’s a source of motivation for you, and hopefully others too. That’s one of the joys of specialty forums, even ones as small as this. The camaraderie and drive to keep projects updated so that everyone else can see is important. I’ll keep this thread going as long as there are things to do with these 3 cars…so basically forever…

• 3 weeks later...

Happy Holidays gentlemen. Started on the tune up stuff on the red car before the holidays, hoping to get back on it in the new year once I'm back in town. Work included is new VCG, plugs/cap/rotor/wires. Also rebuilding the front calipers (had to really heat up the bleeder and hose screw big time to get them to break free) with new brake hoses and fresh bleed throughout. Will update once done...

IMG_9751.jpg

IMG_9752.jpg

IMG_9753.jpg

IMG_9754.jpg

IMG_9755.jpg

IMG_9756.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year gentlemen. The red car is mostly back together, new VCG with sealant, new cap/rotor/plugs, and cleaned up the wires. Also replaced/repaired some aged hoses / vacuum lines. All that is left is to rebuild the front calipers, replace the brake hoses, and then bleed everything new. That could very well happen this coming week... 

IMG_9867.jpg

IMG_9869.jpg

IMG_9873.jpg

IMG_9874.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I got the passenger front caliper rebuilt yesterday and installed along with the new brake hose, and then bled it all out. So brakes are operational again. Still want to replace the other front hose, and then bleed all the rest, but that will be for another day…

Boy, I hope someone still reads this forum, it seems pretty dead these days...

Got the coolant topped back up finally today, after doing the timing belt and water pump over a month ago. When I had to move the car for the first time in a long time today, I remembered that the car didn't take all the coolant back down when I went to refill after those jobs, so was a good excuse to pick up one of these fill kits today. Took about 15 minutes total, glad I bought the kit after all these years of struggling with just long funnels...

In other news, while monitoring the coolant going down, I noticed that one of the injectors started leaking, but I planned to pull them all for ultrasonic cleaning anyways, so more fun to come...

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

I’m reading them!  (I wish I knew the secret to attracting people that prefer forums…)

I tried a buddy’s vacuum bleeder and I might need to get my own now - super slick and supposed to eliminate the need to burb the cooling system.

BTW - My stuff has been dormant so long my wife has asked me to start getting rid of them.  So I had to double down and make shit happen instead - I’ve been acquiring more goodies for some thread resurrections this Spring / Summer.  I will have to pare down the projects, but think combining rather than just decommissioning.  :)

I read most of your post on the mi16s, I just dont usually have any input being that I dont know much about em. Iv done a crap ton of work on my 505s this winter I just never posted anything because I also didnt think anyone was interested.

Hey guys, I was just joking around. Wasn't sure if anyone cared about these old relics anymore, ha...

SRDT, thanks for that, I'll look into it and see if I actually need them or if its just a seal...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey guys, been a bit...

Re. the red car, got the injectors out and cleaned them, re-installed them, fired right up and nothing leaking now, so that's a good start. Still need to install the new driver's side front brake hose and want to service the rear calipers, but that's for another day...

Re. the SW, finally getting ready to have a little paintwork done. Started today by scraping some rusty scale of the bottom of the hatch, as well as the driver's side doors. Fortunately the car is very solid, so this is a very basic cleanup and respray of the damaged areas, unlike the red car which needed some more invasive surgery...

Stay tuned...