N9T, E, EA Garrett turbo part number

ganun

Picture of the intake side of my Forced Performance turbo.

20160414_190036.jpg

I'm actually thinking of the 2pc exhaust side for this built T3/T4 hybrid since it would be the easy way to do a 3" downpipe to a new muffler.

Rabin

• 3 weeks later...

Just got a great looking rebuilt center section from Durabuilt Turbo in Chicago, $250.

Looks like a lot of extra work to clock it correctly so the oil inlet and outlet AND intercooler and manifold connections properly line up!

Think this is the procedure I'll use:

1) Leave the cold and hot housings loose so they can spin

2) Bolt turbo to manifold

3) assemble finger tight EVERYTHING , ex mani to head,  intercooler, oil lines in and out, wastegate actuator

4) snug a few of the accesible  housing bolts

5) remove all again from engine to tighten and lock the housing bolts

6) final reinstall

Whew!!

Durabuilt Center 2.jpg

Hi George,

Plan sounds good unless you already have an assembled turbo in your collection. 

Pressure tap - I'd use the one off the outlet, as that should be as close as possible to the intake pressure.  I tried using the intake to get a cleaner signal for the wastegate - but it spiked too much - probably the long boost lines.

Rabin

• 3 weeks later...

2 piece ones are old <-85 versions, some replaced after that year cause those are fitting new assembly. Only reason to keep old one is if stick on original exhaust.

Sold last non cracked original 2 piece garret to Danmark. Have still 5 original 2 piece turbos and all of them are cracked same way. Same problem is also in other t3 and t4 (t4oe) type turbos. They all cracks on wastegate and some one also in housing.

V-M

• 3 weeks later...

I meant pipe side - Ford's use a very similar 5 bolt housing with the same wastegate set up.  

Engine side is likely Peugeot specific,  maybe the same as 205 since it was similar years.  Size wise it's much closer to a T25 then the bigger T3 flanges.  Dabbled with the idea of changing it to T25, but I need to see how "weld-able" the exhaust manifold is first.

Rabin

Volvo did something close:

DSC01384.jpg

But again the KKK turbos can probably fit better:

RS2onLeftK24700onRight_2.jpg

Speaking about the 205 Turbo 16 the road going ones where made with as much off the shelf parts as possible, making only 200 of them means you won't ask for a custom exhaust housing.

They used the fuel distributor from a Porsche 924 turbo and the turbo was probably at best an hybrid made with two existing ones.ded

Volvo has the same bolt pattern as a T3, the lip just needs to be machined off and a T3 bolts right up (or you can use an adapter inbetween)

The 205 turbo looks like a T3/T4 hybrid with its much larger compressor housing, but exhaust housing looks the same for sure.

Earlier I posted a pic of my Forced Performance turbo which had the compressor housing machined to fit the larger T4 compressor wheel.  Not usually advisable, but since it was done by FP I'm hoping it was well executed.  (You can tell only by the inlet diameter which was enlarged by ~10mm)

Rabin