Hello everyone

86turbo

New to the forum, new to the car. My grandparents have had an 86 Turbo sitting in the yard for probably 15 years, broken down. From what my grandfather remembers, it has some electronic issue and will randomly not start,and nobody can seem to figure out the problem. So I am taking it on for a new project. The plan is to pull the engine immediately, do some body work, and swap something new in it.

So, my question is: what kind of swaps have been done into a 505? Anything more common? By the way, I'm looking to achieve some pretty high output. Right now I've got a 1JZ, SR20DET, or an LS1 on the list of options. Thanks for any imput.

-Nick

Welcome sir :-)

I like your idea as a lot of Pug owners like to keep them stock and slow. No engine swapped 505 here in the states but around the world we have seen 2JZ and SR20DET swaps.

Here in US sky is the limit on these options,If I was you I would go 2JZ,RB26 or EVO 4g63 with fender flairs.

Welcome sir :-)

I like your idea as a lot of Pug owners like to keep them stock and slow. No engine swapped 505 here in the states but around the world we have seen 2JZ and SR20DET swaps.

Here in US sky is the limit on these options,If I was you I would go 2JZ,RB26 or EVO 4g63 with fender flairs.

I'd LOVE an RB, however there is a substantial price difference in those engines. I can get a 1JZ for about $1500, and an RB26DETT would be closer to $6k.

Honda f22 turbo.

Already have an S2000 (AP1 with F20), so I'd like something different.

Welcome,

As a French I must talk about the 3.0 V6 PRV with turbos...

wouldn't mind this as much if parts were more available. Tuner imports are pretty big in my area, so Nissan, Honda, Toyota, and Mazda parts are cheap as hell.

Hear ya on that. I wouldn't do the 1jz or the ls1. One is too long, the other too wide. Whatever you choose make it easy on yourself and get an engine with the exhaust on the right side.

Btw, before you start you should know the 505 doesn't have a cross member so there's a good amount of fabrication to be done on the underside of the car as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok i don't want be the wet pants here, but swapping different engine into the 504/505 cars can be a pain.

But if you do pursue this challenge forget about 6cylinders... too long unless you dont care for A/C and this will be your 'special' car.

I have SR20DET automatic trans which was installed by previous owner through some hatch guys who did poor job.

The Diff also changed to Nissan LSD so u can imagine all axles and drive shaft issues!

I have gotten it to decent stage with tolerable driving comfort and slight vibrations.

I would trade for original Peugeot engine if i could but all gone in my country hence reason for swap.

Here's link to Australian site guy did swap...best i seen because kept original drive train with mods of course.

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/googlesearch.php?cx=partner-pub-5717081065219312%3Ajgylnj-1z2n&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=505+sr20det

Had some links to Indonesia & Malaysia where those guys swap out everything, suspension, RB20/25 , Jz, Sr20....mad stuff.

If you got the skills fabricating stuff then yeah make nice project of it.

Will post links when i find them ..lost the book marks.

I think the Ford 2.3 ecoboost in the new Mustang's will have some awesome potential once they get a few years old and start becoming available through total loss cars for cheap.

Surprised the LS would be too wide - the PRV seems like a giant width wise and it fits easily. Also - do you mean a transmission cross member? (Cause it does have an engine one...)

Rabin

There's no kits my friend - owning and especially modding a Peugeot is not an easy proposition at all.

That's why I like them - it's much more of a challenge to build one, so the reward is that much sweeter.

Won't really make sense unless you've driven a really good well sorted turbo or V6 car, but once you do it's very addicting. My car still puts a huge smile on my face every time I drive it.

Haven't tired of them in over 20 years of continuous ownership either.

Rabin

I'm not saying an ls wouldn't fit, but it would be a major pain to get in there. You've seen what stewart has done to fit a similar engine. And yes I was referring to the lack of transmission cross member.

It depends on your goals. A swap would be easier for parts availability, but if you just want more power the n9t will handle it within reason.