Last bite at the apple

N9TE

So, I was going to take my 87 turbo to a well known local mechanic and have him do the work. The car needed a headgasket (badly) and a turbo rebuild. The car ran. Drove it into the garage on Sunday.

I told him I have the parts. He told me that he prefers to buy the parts. (red flag 1) "Have you bought any Peugeot parts, lately?" He maintained that he could get anything I already had. Whatever.

He would take the parts and the car and treat is as an 'unfinished project' job and once he took the job, I was not going to have any input.

I have enough money for "most" eventualities, but there are the outliers. I know a guy who (I think) got hosed for 50K on his Mustang project. I could not do that.

I still trusted this guy though. And I was ready to go. Then I had to tell my wife "I don't know how much it's going to cost. 2K? Maybe 6K? I can't say." She (rightly) gave me the fish eye and that's all it took.

I started on Monday and I've got everything torn off and cleaned except the exhaust/turbo.

I expect to pull the head/exhaust/turbo as a unit.

I may ask the group for a bit of advice here and there. I have budgeted time until next Friday to complete the job.

Wish me luck.

Definitely made the right decision Koll! I know your attention to detail and the quality of your work - dude didn't stand a chance of doing as good a job.

I'll be surprised if the head isn't cracked and it just is a HG, but please keep us posted.

Happy to help anyway I can too man. :)

Rabin

A job like that I would charge 10-12 hours of labor (1000usd) max. You made a good choice. Never have anything done without a solid estimate, and never be hesitant about disputing the cost. Have you pulled the head before? If not, the head-manifold-turbo all bolted together weighs more than dark matter when leaning over the car.

I used a cheap closed ended metric 12pt wrench that I ground thin enough to fit onto the nut. Worked slick and took a couple minutes to modify on bench grinder.

Rabin

So far...

I pulled the exhaust/turbo taking heed to the advice about the combined weight. Glad I did.

Notes to anybody doing this in the future.

1. Lower nut on exhaust manifold on cylinder #2? Access it from underneath, behind the turbo. 10mm box wrench.
  2. Don't even try to unbolt the turbo from the mount in-situ. Jack up the engine using boss under AC bracket, unbolt mount. If those 6mm capscrews have been on for any appreciable length of time will require a ridiculous amount of torque to break free. Use a very high quality hex socket. No third world tools here. I went with SnapOn.

I'm going to have to have the turbo rebuilt. If someone has one (rebuilt) on the shelf they want to sell, let me know.

post-62-0-90920100-1431922130_thumb.jpg

Seems funny to say, but which one looks better visually? Any idea how old?

After all this work I'd suggest going with a new Cometic, but I tried last week to get a hold of them for V-M with no luck.

Not surprised with the valve seat crack, but first one I've seen with a spark plug crack.

Rabin

I want to replace the starter while I have everything apart.

Will this work on a N9TE? It's RockAuto (ugh), so that's why I'm trying to verify. Of the 6 starters they have for the "turbo" car, 3 are for the engine code ZDJL. Ya, it's Rock Auto.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1001183&cc=1227653&jnid=410&jpid=1

That number does show up for the N9TE on PartsMonkey so I'd say it's good. (They also list a Bosch reman for $50 more.

Make sure to use the 5% RockAuto discount code in the vendor section.

Rabin

• 3 weeks later...

Is the block getting decked - or is there some other reason it needs to come out?

No idea if they could be had new, but used ones shouldn't be a problem should it need to come out and it gets wrecked.

Rabin

I don't know if the pin needs to come out. I figured it should, but it can remain.

New head ready to go:

new-head.jpg

Got a number of parts ceramacoated. When things are black, you can't tell if they're dirty.

parts1.jpg

parts2.jpg

Had turbo rebuilt by Alamo Turbochargers:

turbo1.jpg

turbo2.jpg

turbo3.jpg

Here's the deck. This took probably 30 hours to clean.

20150621_162250.jpg

All the tricks. None destructive. Permatex gasket removed, CRC gasket removed (Permatex is superior). Brass brush. Soft brass bristle attachment. Brass Dremel attachment. Perpendicular razor blade.

Two questions:

Why does the factory specify a re-torque. I will do it. There's no doubt about that. I'm just wondering why. They surely couldn't have done it like that when it was made in 1987.

2nd. Why was there so much oil/carbonized oil in the head bolt holes when I took the head off? I just can't see how it would have gotten down there. They weren't loose. Any ideas?

I'm hoping to get the head back on next weekend. Hoping to be done in two weeks.

I have no idea how pros get this done for $1100!

First - "Pro's" don't clean things like you do, they don't carbon removal to perfection, and they certainly don't go into details like ceramacoating and detailing components before reinstall! They tease Savo for his attention to detail on his Mi16 - but #Kollspec has been widely known for years! Nicely done...

My only concern is the pics of the block deck - it looks spotless, but is there any pitting or corrosion - or is the metal just "stained" with the previous image of the headgasket?

Rabin