Rebuilding my XD2S...

pug505usa

Hi fellow members... I decided to go ahead and rebuild my diesel engine. It has oil leak difficult to see, an original clutch to replace and almost 300 miles. I have hesitated for a long time because I am afraid it might never restart again once I dismantle it. But I figure I would learn a lot about the Indenor and I hope to have you guys help if I ever get stuck... I have taken lost of pictures before and after. the engine is out of the car and doing some cleaning

post-1541-0-91616500-1426693645_thumb.jp

• 5 weeks later...

sorry for the delay... but I got it off weeks ago but forgot to respond... Here are a couple of pics. The groove on the pulley is what allowed me to unscrew it.

well, is there a tutorial on how to download pics here? I have tried with Photobuckets and it says it is forbidden...

You have to be in the full version to attach pics easily, but the easy buttons to link to the pictures in photobucket appear to be gone - at least on my phone anyway.

I'll post a tutorial on html tags you can use to imbed images when I get back to my PC.

Rabin

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have the whole engine taken apart in pieces... everything is meticulously put away in zip-lock bags and boxes... I dropped my block and my Cyl head to a machine shop who is working on telling me what I need to do... he is bit backup up right now so I don't have the whole prognosis yet. but he has told me that for sure I will need some oversized pistons... and this is where I started to be discouraged a bit... they are very expensive :( I am not quitting but I think this rebuild is going to take me a while to save and buy parts at a time... Emmanuel

• 7 months later...

still working on the rebuild....this summer I took the block and head to a machine shop.  I needed oversized pistons close to 94.8.  My head had a few bad cracks that can be fixed.  All this is very expensive beyond what I thought i could afford.  I decided to go another route when I was able to buy a working used xd2s from a former Peugeot Mechanic...  Now 2 of my children got married this summer and so I was broke for a while.  Now i am able to resume the work...  still hanging... I am determined to get this car running again...  Emmanuel

• 3 months later...

Thank you Goce and SRDT!   The one I have is the light blue Paris-Rhone/Valeo one that came with the car...   I am going to check on it further.  Man I am so close!!  Other than that the engine turns but without the glow plug I cannot start it up...

"Préchauffage rapide" that's the fast one. These green wires should be connected to the ground so the problem must be elsewhere. It looks like the relay is easy to open, maybe you can take a look inside.

On the diagram you have a number for each wire but no color, could you have mixed 104, 101 and 20?

Dear friend you can bench test the relay, the relay does couple of things, when ignition on connects the glow plugs to battery positive, light lights up and after couple of seconds turns off but the glow plugs stay on for couple more seconds, so when light turns off you do not hear the relay click, when the starter is energised the middle wire turns of the the glow plugs, on one of the picture you can see i use my jumper pack connected the positive on the m6 nut bigger one connected a 5w light bulb to ground end one of the poles on the relay you can wich one, and used the black wire to supply + to the ignition on pole light should turn on and you should hear click after couple of second shud turn off but no click, couple more seconds you should hear the click and to test the early turn off you can add + to the middle pole and it should click, the green yellow wires are grounds, there is a number printed on the wires you can identify them to the diagram.

dsc_0003.jpg

dsc_0001.jpg

dsc_0002.jpg

Thank you Guys for the help... SRDT I did validate the wire 104, 101 and 20 are correct.  I also remember never removing them off the relay.  Since my care is originally an XD2S I checked the service manual for that engine and I fgound what those 3 extra wires are (see photo below).   I am still not sure what MA, MR/M1 and M3 are.   I know M means ground but I can't find the code for the extra letter.   Also if M3 touches metal gound it sparks and become real hot to melt.  I am wondering too if the problem is elsewhere... ?

Goce, I am going to do this test on the relay tonight just to be sure and I can hear the click... thank you for the info.  Also I have a brand new spare relay that I swapped but I have the same result. Also the red light on my dash never comes on

Glow_Plug_Relay.thumb.PNG.36605f0f0d1fd0