91 405 Mi16 build thread

andrethx

i can see the mechanism in my trunk...what i mean is, i don't understand the logic of it. what does the actuator do (part #3 in the diagram, i referred to it as the locking module in my previous post)? i can see that it's hooked up but it doesn't seem to make any difference on my car -- if i want to open my trunk, i have to go outside and unlock it with the key. it stays unlocked until i lock it with the key. if i lock it, it stays locked until i unlock it with the key. the lock state of my doors (locked, unlocked) makes no difference. i think i must have a bad actuator or maybe some bad wiring. but i'm not sure what is supposed to happen.

andré

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

André from factory trunk lock is made only to lock it with key fob (keyless system) but not unlock it. You need a key to unlock it manually,not sure why but that's how it's designed.

Number three in your diagram is lock-unlock actuator.

I've made write up on how to modify trunk to lock and unlock with key fob.

On 12/28/2015 at 3:01 PM, SRDT said:

If it seems useless this plastic box is probably here for aerodynamics.

Hi i'm new on this forum, the plastic is for aerodynamics, but is often lost or removed and never reinstated, i've seen it on many 405.

9 hours ago, my3AWDgst said:

I'm from Serbia :-) living in US for 16 years now.

My uncles wife is from Macedonia.

I'm from Kumanovo, you know where is that, i have couple of peugeot and one interesting project in the near future i'm planning to convert my 405mi16x4 to rear wheel drive, and turbocharging the engine, i'm still accruing parts for the conversion.

6 hours ago, Goce said:

I'm from Kumanovo, you know where is that, i have couple of peugeot and one interesting project in the near future i'm planning to convert my 405mi16x4 to rear wheel drive, and turbocharging the engine, i'm still accruing parts for the conversion.

Yes I know were Kumanovo is. Please post pictures it's going to be great project!

7 hours ago, andrethx said:

the nice thing about this being my thread is that i can take it anywhere i like. :) are peugeots popular in macedonia, goce? how common are older models like the 405? please post photos of your cars when you have a chance, we love to see cars from around the world...

In Macedonia we drive: peugeot, vw, opel, daewoo, the 405 is a common vehicle "workhorse" the mi16 are very few and driven by fans of peugeots motorsports, this is my soon to be project car, is on a site where it was converted to run on lpg couple of years back. http://www.plimont.com/galery4/picture.php?/10869/category/15

goce, i noticed that on your car, it looks really good. you're right that it freshens up the look of the car, it looks more like the series 2 cars which had the different trunk lid. i had considered doing something like that -- on the US mi16s, though, we got a red reflective panel there...sort of like the german heckblendes that were popular in the 80s. here's a picture of mine:

IMG_0222_zpsmp0zcw9f.jpg

i think this may have been an option on some of the european models. in any event, the clips that hold mine on the car look like they broke off and were repaired (re-glued) several times in the past. some of the later repairs saw the glue spread onto the back of the reflective part of the panel and the reflective material peeled off when the glue failed (i.e., the glue didn't stick to the panel itself but did stick to the reflective material :(). the panel looks okay from a distance but up close it looks bad. i have a good-condition used one on order and i may have a source for a NOS one (still looking). i had thought about replacing the reflective panel with a black one or a panel painted body color like yours (in my case, blanc meiji, or alpine white as it is called here) but i decided to stay closer to original with my car.

i really like the european style mi16 bumpers (like you have on your car) so i might put those on my car someday, and if i do i will probably change out the rear panel to look like yours. but in the meantime, it would look strange to me to have a body-colored rear panel with my US-style bumpers. i'm picky, i know. :)

andré

speaking of the rear of my car, you may notice that my trunk lid has some spots that are missing paint. my plan is to get the trunk lid repainted (same color); at the same time, i plan to replace the badges on the trunk lid. if you have good eyes you might notice that the emblems are a little bit too high. additionally, i have a really nice "Mi16" badge in red that i'll be using.

before i do that, though, there are a few other parts of the car that will need to be painted at the same time. the lower trim under the left headlight is missing and i have a replacement, but it's gray so that will get painted at the same time. the paint on the driver's door handle is badly chipped so i will get another one and have that painted to match. i also plan to replace the modified grill (put on my car by a previous owner) with the original style. recently, i got a NOS grill in primer:

Photo%20Feb%2007%209%2047%2000%20AM_zps4

there are still a few more pieces that i need to get so i won't send everything out for painting until i get them. marc m. (from the facebook group) used to paint cars for a living so i may ask him to do it, although by paying him i will doubtless be enabling his peugeot habit...:)

andré

Andre, by reading this thread you remind me of myself, having said that, when i was preparing my car for paint work i wanted to use a reflective panel like yours, but the one i found was broken and had a piece missing i plan to put plastic primer on it and make it body color because it closer resembles the series 2, the step one is 80 style, i have one more like mine from this black car that i parted out painted in gloss black, about the badges you are right there not in the right spot, my father's car is original paint and the badges never have moved, i'll get you some measurements for their placement, i like the new NOS grill you are right the one you have on their is horrible, when you pant the parts for your car i'll suggest that you paint 2 extra door handles one left one right, there interchangeable front to rear, because they are plastic they easily broken.

rsz_20130501_192849.JPG

22 hours ago, Goce said:

...about the badges you are right there not in the right spot, my father's car is original paint and the badges never have moved, i'll get you some measurements for their placement...

thank you goce, i'd appreciate that!

over the last couple of days, it's been very hot here (83F/28C) so i took a few breaks from my desk work (i have a home office). i removed the front passenger seat with an eye towards removing the carpet to clean it thoroughly, as well as to run wiring for the sound system amplifier and front speaker crossovers which i'll be mounting under the front seats. i also removed the top part of the dashboard so that i could remove the bezel surrounding the stereo and climate controls; after that, i removed the aftermarket stereo that some previous owner had installed. i already have a new blaupunkt head unit with bluetooth handsfree calling ready to go, so i wanted to get started on installing that as well.

there was an unused electrical connector and an empty mounting point for an electronic control unit under the front passenger seat that baffled me until i cross-referenced the wire numbers against the factory electrical manual and discovered that the missing ecu was for the passive restrain system.

Photo%20Feb%2006%2012%2002%2014%20PM_zps

for those of you outside the US/Canada, around the time of the 405 the safety regulations here changed such that auto manufacturers had to install a passenger safety system that did not require any action on the part of the occupants of the car in order for them to have some protection in the case of a collision. most manufacturers ultimately put airbags into their cars, but in the early days some manufacturer (like peugeot) used a motorized shoulder belt system that had little tracks around the front door opening such that when you sat in the car, you stepped into the shoulder belt and the top edge of the shoulder belt travelled back around the door frame such that you were belted in. you can see a video of how this worked here.

this system was annoying enough when it worked properly, but over the years the little motors stopped working and many owners removed these systems from the cars and retrofitted the standard shoulder belts. this was done to my car, and all that's left is a gap at the edge of the headliner (which i will address when i have the headliner recovered soon) and these connectors and mount points. i did some checking and there's a similar empty connector/mount point under the driver's seat. as luck would have it, these connecters have ignition switched and unswitched 12-volt wires and grounds, so i will be able to use these when i wire up my amps and crossovers.

here's a picture of the dash with the top part removed:

Photo%20Feb%2007%201%2029%2036%20PM_zpsf

i took advantage of this opportunity to replace the ignition switch with the new one i got recently.

here's a picture of the center console with the bezel removed:

Photo%20Feb%2007%201%2029%2029%20PM_zpsj

one idea that i've been rolling around in my brain is modifying the center console stack by lowering the climate controls and mounting a double-din stereo where the climate controls are currently. i ultimately decided against this -- i'm going to add a dash mount for my iPhone, which i use for navigation, etc. -- but i took some measurements and i can say that moving the climate controls and adding a double-din head unit is certainly possible in the series 1 405.

the previous owner who installed this aftermarket pioneer stereo in the car cut the connector off of the factory radio (it plugs into the bright red connector in the photo) and wired it up to the pioneer connector, so i took that inside and i will be using the factor connector with the blaupunkt part to make the installation easy.

here's a photo of the turn signal/horn/light switch stalk, you can see how the sun has damaged the plastic...the switch works okay, though it's a bit loose. i will be changing this out soon as well.

Photo%20Feb%2007%201%2029%2042%20PM_zps8

andré

Here you go Andre the Peugeot badge starts 27mm from the edge of the trunk and 6mm from the style line, i put the painters tape on the body line in the pictures for reference is on the upper edge on the style line, the mi16 badge, on this car GLD starts 24mm from the edge and because is thinner than the 405 is parallel to the upper edge of the 405, space between the GLD and the 405 is 10mm and the 405 is 6mm from the style line, you may notice the series 2 badges have the letters chrome and the series 1 is grey paint, have you consider replacing the red carpet for euro style black or grey it makes a world a difference and is easy to Keep clean.

dsc_0124.jpg

dsc_0119.jpg

dsc_0120.jpg

dsc_0121.jpg

dsc_0123.jpg

I have seen turn signal/horn/light switch stalk like this before, the plastic is fine... under the human gunk. Just try not to think about what it is while cleaning it with soap and warm water, you can pull the end part for easy cleaning ; just take out the horn fuse before putting it back.

1 hour ago, SRDT said:

human gunk

i'm not 100% sure that this is what it is, but that only makes me want to change it more. change it, and burn the old one. :o

in all seriousness, though, the switch functions but it's very loose, so i plan to change it...

andré

ps -- thanks for the measurements, goce!

Yes andre all series 1 switches are like that even new, the series 2 have different style which have quality feel but the steering column is different when they mount, i wanted to change them on my car but after adding the parts count just left them alone.

16 hours ago, Goce said:

Yes andre all series 1 switches are like that even new, the series 2 have different style which have quality feel but the steering column is different when they mount, i wanted to change them on my car but after adding the parts count just left them alone.

so don't expect too much from the new switch. :) got it.

4 hours ago, SRDT said:

Keep the old one at least for parts, they used the mecanism for years and just changed the handle outiside so it can be usefull for a lot of old Peugeot, Citroën and even Renault.

i never throw any parts away unless they are completely destroyed, so will do.

one thing i'd like to do but i haven't figured it out yet is to add a stereo control stalk from a series 2 car to my series 1. i know i'd have to fabricate some kind of mounting bracket and cut a hole in the steering column trim (or get a set from a series 2 car), but it would be really nice to have that feature. i have steering wheel controls on my passat and i use them all the time...once i got it installed, it would simply be a matter of connecting the new control stalk to an adapter and connecting that to the new blaupunkt (toronto 420) that i have for the 405....

lots of ideas and not enough time to implement them.....

andré

This is how peugeot do it, this is of my peugeot 605 daily driver, and every time i get in a different car i'm looking for it, very useful, my advice go to the junkyard, pull apart and found one similar size to the one you have for cruise control, drill a hole in the low column trim, and mount it to it from factory they are mounted to the trim.