my new peugeot

Savo is correct on all counts. :) the condition is good, the biggest need is a thorough cleaning. mileage is 129k. pretty much everything works.

mechanically, the car needs the brakes done soon; they work well but the pads are thin. new tires aren't too far off. there's also some looseness in the shifting, no doubt the shifter needs work but i'm sure the transmission will need some attention sooner or later. engine is great, just needs to be cleaned and a few hoses replaced. the oil temp light doesn't work, may need a new sender.

on the exterior, the car needs a new lower headlight trim piece on the driver's side; additionally, i'm not too fond of that "updated" grill; i thought that the new insignia was merely sitting on top of the grill but the center has been cut out and that new insignia bolted in...so i will replace the grill for one with a correct insignia. the black trim on the bumpers has been repainted and the accent on the bodyside molding is gone, the result of both is to deprive the car of its signature red trim stripe, which will have to be remedied at some point. there's a spot of missing paint on the trunk lid (it can be made out in the last photo) that will have to be addressed as well as a tiny bit of surface rust on the window channel strip on the driver's side rear door (the black metal strip between the rear window that goes up and down and the triangle window that doesn't). the caps on the wheels will have to be replaced also. there is no front license plate, which could get me a "fix-it ticket" at some point so that will have to be remedied.

on the interior, there are a few spots in the burgundy leather that need attention, including the outside bolster on the driver's seatback and the outside bolster on the rear seatback on the same side. i know of an automotive upholstery shop here that does great leather work so i'm going to see if they can match the sections (or if the entire seat will have to be redone). there are scratches here and there in the leather so i may have the tears fixed and then have the leather re-dyed the original color, we'll see how that goes. the rear deck has faded and needs a refresh, and there are light bulbs here and there that need replacing. there is an okay radio in the car now that works fine, but i'll be upgrading the audio at some point. the leather on the shift knob has worn so that will have to be replaced.

i'll be starting a build thread on this car and reporting more stuff as i find it...

andré

there's no comparison, rabin; the 405 has worn suspension bushings and the transmission is balky...even so, it's loads more fun to drive than the jetta. the real star of the car is the engine; the 1.9i 16 soupapes engine is just happy and ready to go all the time. it revs easily and it doesn't care what gear you're in. the jetta is tighter (it's newer and, i believe, better maintained) but it likes to stop, not go. whereas the peugeot engine is ready and willing, the jetta engine is grudging.... :)

andré

which dash vent piece are you talking about, savo? the center vent isn't cracked, although it looks kinda tired and the open/close selector levers look like they're about to dissolve into dust at any minute....i'll be replacing the center vent assembly but it's down the list. i'm thinking i'll get the shift knob recovered in black leather...so far, the only replacement knobs i've seen are the plastic ones...

andré

ah yes, i see which one you are talking about, the defrost vent. yes, it has a crack in the middle. i'm keeping an eye out for another one & investigating methods of repairing that one. it's pretty far down the list, though. my glove box looks pretty good, i think i got lucky on that.

i was reviewing your build thread on the wagon, savo, and i noticed that you shortened your shift lever & put a DSM shift knob on it. it looks great, but does the new (shortened) shifter fall easily to hand? it looks uncomfortably far away, maybe i just have short arms.... :)

andré

• 2 weeks later...