n9te euro running rough ,

boundish

Distributor cap and rotor? Timing? How old os fuel and was stabilizer used?

Fuel injection pressure?

Quite a few things to check to find a rough running issue.

Rabin

I know hehe , just hoped that there was a common culprit on theese engines :) Fuel filter is also new and the d.cap and rotor seems fine . I can upload a clip of the car running.

If cmpression is okay (readings?) and plug wires are correct ones and installed right. Next one is to check cam at there is all nozzels as they should. Small wear will not effect engine run so much (it will worn fast when started). How did rough run start, at sudden or little by little?

V-M

• 2 weeks later...

If cmpression is okay (readings?) and plug wires are correct ones and installed right. Next one is to check cam at there is all nozzels as they should. Small wear will not effect engine run so much (it will worn fast when started). How did rough run start, at sudden or little by little?

V-M

I started more sudden , but the car has always stuttered a little bit though.

The car has had a camshaft replacement under warranty many many years, but not so may km ago so i dont think the cam is worn..

i followed a guide on youtube on how to refurb the Air Flow Meter and this helped a little , but it still stutters a bit when idling or when driving normaly with not so much press on the accel. pedal. And if i shift down and take my foot off the accel. pedal to slow down there is a little popping in the exhaust.

I got 9.9 bar compression on all cylinders , did the test 3 times and the results were consistent.

when running try to unplug sparkwire one cylinder at the time to see if its one cyl or more general prob.

V-M

Spark is good i think beacuse when you give full throttle there is plenty power. But is the little yellow ignition LED in the instrument panel supposed to flash when you giv full throttle? , beacuse it does not flash when i give full throttle.

Its not blinking , but i was unsure of its function beacuse a peugeot salesman i talked to a good while ago said that these cars , the euro ones at least they advance the ignition slightly when you give full throttle and when it does that the led is supposed to flash once... But i could be wrong as its a long time go i heard this

I concur. There is a lot of stuff that will trigger a flash. The Peugeot manual says that an occasional flash is no big deal. You should not be having it on a regular basis. A well tuned and sorted out N9Txx won't have any flashes. When the ECU picks up on something catttywompas, it will trigger that LED light, and it also modifies the timing, so you will still get home, but the power and performance won't be there. Crude but effective, and we're talking thirty year old technology.

Personally, if it was me, I would clean every single electrical connection (even remotely) related to the ignition. Remember, these cars are tough. But if the ECU isn't getting the information it needs, it says so.

-Bill

Check that knock sensor box on right side on inside console, same issues occured when heater adjuster starts to leak and it leaks directly in that box and there is no hole where water can come out so it will fill up and destroy box. Cause it should indicate someting when reving. Hard idle also if there is leak on inlet side (try close any hose in inlet, also break vacuum).

V-M

• 2 weeks later...

Check that knock sensor box on right side on inside console, same issues occured when heater adjuster starts to leak and it leaks directly in that box and there is no hole where water can come out so it will fill up and destroy box. Cause it should indicate someting when reving. Hard idle also if there is leak on inlet side (try close any hose in inlet, also break vacuum).

V-M

Is the knock sensor box in the passenger footwell ?

i still haven found out why its not running smooth . So i decided to have a look at the AFM

IMG_20150323_171218.jpg

It was bit oily in that tract by the flap ( scracthes are from a mechanic trying the flap i think)

IMG_20150323_172638.jpg

Inside was nice and dry , but it had been opened before i think beacuse the glue was not original , i think it must be from when they(peugeot dealer) changed the camshaft many many years ago .. maybe they checked the afm before they found out it was the camshaft. Apparently there was a problem with he camshafts on these cars.

IMG_20150323_173324.jpg

I moved the feeler arm so that it got fresh material i followed this guide http://www.the944.com/afm.htm , its for porsche 944 but the bosch afms of the 80s are

similar so it can be used here too :)

IMG_20150323_173351.jpg

Could my problem be this oil vapur hose connection on the intake hose be my problem ? looks like its sweating

IMG_20150422_151447.jpg

Thinking if it might be letting air in thats unmetered :huh:

I have used spreading water spray or small amounts start pilot spray on possible leak spots is easy way to check leaks. Dont use too much pilot spray or it will explode... and how I know that :D

U can just take that hose out and replace it temp any hose fits to check. I have connected it also bypassing turbo. Directly from meter to head inlet.

V-M

glad you solved the AFM problem. the porsche guys remanufacture their AFMs -- there are places that do this for any number of PCBs, AFAIK the porsche guys do it in groups to get a group rate. if your board couldn't be re-used and you couldn't find a replacement, pretty sure you could send it in and get it repaired.

as far as the turbo intake hose, those are hard to find unused and un-cracked. you could repair yours or buy one from these guys. they're in france, but they've posted to our facebook group and i'm pretty sure they ship everywhere. we had a discussion a while back on whether this silicon intake hose would be as good as the original, no consensus so it would be good to hear from someone who bought one of these...

andré