In tank fuel pump, where can I get one?

RichinEd

Picked up a nice 505 sedan with the XN6 engine. Was not running, previous owner thought it had something to do with the old security system. I've bypassed that but the car would still not start. I sprayed some starter fluid into the inlet manifold and the car wanted to start. As the car has been sitting for a couple of years I thought a check of the fuel system was in order. The tank was about 1/3 full of nasty old gas that smelled like paint thinner. The in tank pump no longer works when connected directly to 12V. Where can I get a replacement? Also removed the main fuel pump under the driver's side passenger seat, managed to break off one of the terminals, it was so rusty. Time to replace that as well me thinks. Checked Rock Auto, looks like they have a couple of options that will suit. One is a Bosch unit that looks just like the one I removed. Is it worth replacing the fuel accumlator while I have it out? Rock Auto also has these. The fuel tank is not at all rusty, just a little varnish that will hopefully dissolve once I'm running some decent Ethanol free gas through the system!

Richard

hi richard, welcome!

the in-tank fuel pump can be found at western hemispheres. the pump/strainer combo they is a pierburg unit, part # 7.21088.62.0 -- if you google a bit, you might find it for sale somewhere else as well.

the external pump is available all over the place, my only suggestion there is to stick with the original bosch.

there are some who believe that you should only change parts when they have been shown to fail, but IMHO you might as well change the accumulator while you're at it...it sounds like you have nasty, old gas and there's probably water in your fuel system as well (since ethanol attracts water); given that, it's probably just a matter of time before your accumulator goes bad (if it hasn't already).

where are you located? where i am (southern california), it is impossible to get ethanol-free gas without driving for several hours.

andré

Managed to find all parts at Rock Auto, after much cross reference checking on-line. Pretty reasonable at $343 Canadian delivered. I'm in Vernon, BC. Lots of places offering the various parts for wildly different prices. Rock Auto worked out to be cheaper than all. Now all I have to do is find some way of justifying the expense to the wife, she's not at all a Peugeot fan!

Richard

Good to hear Richard - but I hope you used the discount code from their vendor post on this site - 505turbo.com members get an additional 5% off parts from Rock Auto.

As for your wife, once the car is sorted and reliable, seat and suspension comfort should win her over... Or not. :)

Rabin

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the info on the pump, all the pieces I ordered arrived a few days ago while we were out of town. Haven't had a chance to start installing them yet but had a quick check in each box to make sure they're the ones I wanted. A question about the special Oetiker clamp on the under car main fuel pump, do I need to replace it with the same clamp or can I go for a different style? What have other guys used in the past, should I try to find an Oetiker and the tool required to install it? Would a good quality, regular hose clamp be up to the task? Picked up some 14" alloy rims off a friend in Edmonton while we were away, unfortunately he didn't have any lug nuts to go with them. Have found a guy on the Ultimate Subaru site who makes brand new ones for $6.85 each. Figure I'll be ordering some of those once I find some suitable tires to go on the rims. What is the widest width I can go to on the 505? I seem to remember having a set of 205/60 on a previous car. There' a person down the road selling some 205/75 tires, is that sidewall a little tall?

Richard

Keebs! Welcome to the forum - I've been hoping you'd join as I didnt want to lose track of Bryan's car. I think it has a TON of potential and was curious to see it realized.

Richard - Is your friend in Edmonton Scott? (Aka Cold War Motors?) I was just there picking up the 86' 505 TD 5SP. :) Meeting Scott and checking out his collection was a highlight. The Citroen DS Safari was incredible. I now get why guys are into the hydropneumatic suspensions.

I can help out with lugs - I've got the factory set of chrome sought after 1pc lugs that sold for $12 each. I'd sell 20 for $100 plus shipping which should be cheap from Regina.

As for tires: 205-70-14 I find fit the nicest and look the best. 75 is a bit too tall - but they'll work if you need the clearance.

Rabin

The oetiker clamps are nice but are not necessary. You can get specified fuel injection line clamps that don't mess up the hose too bad. Also as cheap insurance I would change the hoses, but only use 100psi hose it's much more robust. As for the tires look up the rpm of your current set and compare it to the ones in question. An example would be a 205/65-15 does about 820 revolutions per mile.

Yes Scott is the friend in Edmonton I got the alloy rims off. When I asked him about lug nuts he said if he hadn't sold the 505 turbo diesel in his yard I could have those! I looked at that car when we were living in Edmonton last year, thought it had too much rust for an out of province inspection. Shame cause turbo diesels are hard to come by in this neck of the woods. I originally found that car doing a Google search and with a bit of sleuthing managed to find out he lived not far from us in Edmonton. It was the video where he starts it mid winter covered in snow. He has a really cool collection of cars stored around his property, did he show you the mint 604 TD in one of his sheds? While I was there last week he also gave me a quick tour of the upstairs in his Quonset hut, all done out as a bar, with pool table, band area and private bar behind the "public" one, loved the disco ball! Can you work out shipping on that set of 20 lug nuts Rabin, our postal code is V1B 3L6. Thanks for the info on the fuel line clamp, off to Google to find some more information on those, maybe I can even find something suitable right here in Vernon!

Richard

Yup - got the full meal deal tour at Scott's. Spent far more time checking out his collection, quonset, and the highlight of driving the DS. 604 looks absolutely mint, and I can't wait to see him get it going.

What's really funny is I too had seen the cold start video and was shocked that it started as well as it did in -22C. A friend of mine sent me the link to the sale advert and that's when I found out it was the same car. I've watched all his videos and really like his humour and the content is really entertaining. I liked it so much I asked to be an agent of the French division - I'm agent 505 IIRC.

Car is too far gone to save, but its the ideal parts car for my TD wagon. After driving the 5sp manual - its definitely getting swapped into my wagon.

Fuel injection hose clamps are readily available at Parts Source or Canadian Tire - also good sources for injection fuel line - I do the same and always use it as well. :)

Rabin