Peugeot Wanted

minnesotan

So, it is me again! I have been looking for a Peugeot on and off for 2 years now and briefly had a 405 Sportwagon. I am now looking for a Peugeot 405 or 505 again. Specifically, I am looking for a MI16 model or a 505 Turbo Wagon. If any forum members have these particular cars, I would be happy to look into buying them!

Here are some candidates of what I am strongly considering.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mi16-/251293988093?ViewItem=&item=251293988093&forcev4exp=true

[Note that he did not sell the car yet]

http://www.importedcarcenter.com/inventory.php?id=5593274

[Jerome has this car]

http://charlottesville.freeclassifieds.com/classified_ads/Vehicles_For_Sale/Classic_Cars-Custom_Cars/bIS4wtcQxAcLyfTJ3JnQvA==

[Or go back to my beloved 164's]

I read over some old posts and forum member "N9TE" might have a MI16 for sale. Well, if any forum members knows these cars or has a car of their own, please do let me know!

Thanks

I like 164's like any other car guy would, but that has to be the least attractive colour combo for that car that I've ever seen.

I've yet to drive an Mi-16 at the limit, if it's anything like Marc's 205 GTi count me in! I'd love to find a nice Mi-16 eventually, and possibly as a winter car, but that has to come at the cost of one of my 505's... Not quite ready to like them THAT much... :)

Modded Mi-16 sport wagon, or your original Honda swapped version (although with maybe the 4cylinder Acura TSX drivetrain swap) would be an awesome choice as well.

Rabin.

If I could ask a totally dumb question...and I am bracing myself for a potentially furious response.

What are the common faults with a 405 MI16? And...are they reasonbly reliable?

My 405 wagon had an issue with burning oil from bad valve stem seals.

The only reason why I am leaning more towards the 164 LS is because I have already had one and it proved faultlessly reliable except it was extremely leaky and got horrendous gas mileage.

But I do like the 405 very much. Does anyone know much about the Vermont 405?

The 8v cars had a known issue with valve guides, and valve seals.

16V cars needed to have timely timing belt changes, and the rear pivots in the rear suspension need to have been greased/ maintained otherwise they can get worn out and need some pricy work to fix play. There's a trick to drill them and inset a grease zero, but that's only good if the pivots are still good. (I'd disassemble, clean, and regrease before doing the zerk just to make sure condition was good)

Rabin

The drawbacks for the car is that there isn't jack for documentation. Few resources. They're a lot more 505 resources. And they're hard to work on. The engine is a very compact package. I had one of the last Peugeot experts do the timing belt on my car as my one car garage is filled with a 505 being worked on. He put in 9.5 hours. I broke the grand mark on labor and another $700 for parts from England.

It's an interference engine so you can't let the belt break. The change out interval is 60K. $400/yr pretty cheap.

What's your budget for the car (purchase price + fixes)?

Anj: Thank you so much for offering to look at that 164 LS. Would you be able to look at that car for me? The car is a manual transmission if that isn't a problem for you. If you are able to see the car, would you let me know? I will notify the owner so he can prepare for your visit. I really appreciate it.

http://charlottesville.freeclassifieds.com/classified_ads/Vehicles_For_Sale/Classic_Cars-Custom_Cars/bIS4wtcQxAcLyfTJ3JnQvA==

N9TE: Do you have any information on your car? I am interested in it. $400 for a timing belt change is much cheaper than doing a timing belt on an Alfa Romeo 164 every 25,000 miles to the tune of $1200 per change!

If you have any pictures as well as a list of outstanding work needed to be done on the car, I would be happy to know more about it. Thanks!