82 505 TD Unfunded Project

Peugeottogo

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Made more progress with a unforeseen condition. The water pump was beginning to leak after a long hibernation. Ordered a replacement online and it arrived relatively quick. Was ready to get started as I opened the shipping box to find a beautiful water pump for a 99 Saab! Correct part number on the order, the actual manufacture's box but the wrong pump. Well geesh, I'll call them for a return request. No so easy, speaking with an agent that could not understand my problem was frustrating. "You received the correct part number didn't you?"

Yes correct part number, wrong part was sent."You received the correct part number didn't you?" OH my, changed my story to the part was damaged, "OK, we will process your return immediately"
"Sir, I show we no longer stock this part number, would you like a refund?" Hell yes, I was also on the other phone putting a stop payment on my credit card to be sure these folks don't give me grieve when the perfectly good Saab pump they sent is back in their hands and they won't refund my monies.
2nd. try I moved on and found another pump online. Great, receive a tracking number via email and all is good. Wait, another email immediately follows the tracking number email, :were sorry, we no longer stock that item. Really? Where you planning to send me anything on the shelf since you sent a tracking number?

3Rd try I made a purchase on ebay of all places. It was cheap with free shipping. What do you ya know, it arrived and was the correct pump

OK, so now I can move forward with changing out the pump. A very simple procedure to do. I was prepared for the worst and sure enough the worst did happen. Broke three water pump bolts in the process of removal. I was prepared for that and finished out the job.

Did some simple maintenance too by changing the trans and rear diff oils. The transmission is a bit more buttery after the oil change as what oil was in it looked to be original.

post-57-0-25120200-1366383318_thumb.jpg

post-57-0-57557100-1366383342_thumb.jpg

Very nice Jeff - progress looks great!

I'll be watching with interest to see how you do the vacuum pump delete, and what you do with the filtering options. Both projects on my list of todo's for my TD wagon.

Rabin

• 3 weeks later...

Rabin, I ended up rebuilding the Purflux factory fuel filtering system. Proven to me that it does the job quite well. Did replace all the vacuum hoses and rid of all the egr. stuff that didn't work anyway. Less cluter. Considering a different approach to air filtering than the factory oil bath unit. Another factory plus unit but it takes up a lot of room where I plan to mount a electric vacuum pump in that area.

this seems as good a time as any to ask a question that i've been wondering about -- it seems like a lot of 505 diesel owners replace the factory fuel filtering system...why is this? are there functional issues with the OE system, or is it a matter of POs not knowing where to get parts, etc.?

andré

this seems as good a time as any to ask a question that i've been wondering about -- it seems like a lot of 505 diesel owners replace the factory fuel filtering system...why is this? are there functional issues with the OE system, or is it a matter of POs not knowing where to get parts, etc.?

andré

I guess I can't speak for others but it is a little bit of a pain and messy to change the filter. I'm OK with the original and have it on both of mine.

This is kind of timely as I'll likely be using the NOS Purflux head with the stock housings as well with just an added pre-filter just to collect the big stuff. The raycor units I found looked great and filter awesome, but stock units with new filter should be all I need.

I keep reminding myself that I need to keep it simple so I can get projects done faster!!

Andre: from the reading I've done its really a matter of upgrading to the new style spin on filters for convenience of service, parts availability, and you can get much better filtering as well.

Rabin

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Almost forgot to keep this thread alive! So what's been happening here?

A few things, the front seat belts had lost their ability to retract so replacements were given from Thomas to install. There from a series II which have the sea belt clip retained from sliding down the belt and are easier to reach at shoulder level.

The car received my wheel and tire package. Late model wheels with Michelin Primacy's MXV4 205/60HR15

These make for a better quality ride and are long lasting!

Headlamps have been upgraded to Hella H4 E1 flat lamps with 145/60 watt bulbs. I've had these on a previous 505 for years and make for a vast improvement.

Will get some photos posted soon :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Working on some mockup on the used Hella electric vacuum pump and the updraft oriented K&N air cleaner.

I'm satisfied with the vacuum pump location and have the control valve, wiring and vacuum hose to run to the opposite side of the engine compartment. That will be easy.

The air filter location and remaining assembly I haven't completed yet, but have plenty of spare parts to configure anyway I come up with. Whats here is 3" parts reducing to 2 1/2" and finally the turbo inlet at 2 1/4" inches.

The K&N filter is inverted behind the headlight assembly. Feel free to share ideas, were keeping costs to a minimum here LOL

post-57-0-09392600-1391276225_thumb.jpg

post-57-0-80489400-1391276331_thumb.jpg

Lookin' swanky... :)

I would look at getting some alloy sheet / galvanized metal to enclose / shield that filter from all the hot under hood air off the radiator.

If there's a way to feed it cold air from the front of the rad? Or even from under the rad?

Rabin

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Got some shop time in yesterday for some much needed motor mount replacements. Since this is a driving project we decided to eliminate a few things that in our area aren't needed.

Removed the entire A/C system and cruise control components.

These have been added to the removal of the previously removed mechanical vacuum pump, EGR plumbing and oil bath air flitration.

Simplifying actually makes for an improvement.

post-57-0-17269100-1434981511_thumb.jpg

post-57-0-31631200-1434981560_thumb.jpg

post-57-0-52194400-1434981566_thumb.jpg

post-57-0-85376400-1434981570_thumb.jpg

post-57-0-44703600-1434981574_thumb.jpg

Awesome - thanks for the update!

Can I ask what all AC components got removed? I *may* have the need for some TD AC components for my wagon project - so hopefully they didn't get chucked yet.

Rabin

I'd be curious to see if anyone has ever monitored oil temps in real time to see if a cooler is even needed. Ideally any oil cooling circuits should be run with a t-stat so that oil isn't overcooled as oil does have an optimal temperatur that it should be kept at, and running it too cool can cause other issues as well.

BTW - just noticed you have a 72' Chevy Blazer - cool truck!

Rabin

Some proper gauges would be ideal. Interesting enough my TD automatic runs significatly warmer than the 5 spd. version solely due to the radiator sharing with the transmission.

Aha, yes the Blazer has been in the family since new. I haven't had time for it in years. Roughly a 1000 miles on a built up 350 now bored to 355, steel crank, corvette rods and aluminum heads. Still looks stock under the hood but can easily break traction in 4 Hi. Engine builder was a former Indy engine builder ;)